Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 23:14   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Basic briefing...

My basic briefing to new crew goes along the lines of :-

"Don't put any body part between the boat and a hard place.

Don't put fingers etc. under any rope that might go tight and trap them.

The boat is insured and repairable... "
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 00:33   #17

Thumbs up

The best advice I can give you is to read lots, be patient, and learn as much as you can. Don't rely completely on your partner for the operation of your boat... and learn to operate everything yourself. I have been sailing with my husband since our second date 24 years ago. For most people, cruising is either something you love or hate... personally I believe the difference between the two kinds ofpeople is attitude. Cruising is not a "vacation", it is a lifestyle, a life "choice" you make. Living in close proximity to anyone, can be difficult... when you "can't get off", it can be even more difficult and tense... there is nowhere you can go if you can't get off the boat.
If you have patience and are gentle with one another; accept the compromises of the cruising lifestyle, and are really honest with yourself and each other, and want to live the lifestyle, you will make it work!

A friend wrote a book about his family and their crsuiing experiences on a trip from Vancouver, Canada to Mexico and back... I highly recommend that you try and find it, maybe you can request it at your local library... it is a good read, not like some of the "family cruising" books out there... the author Andy Gunson shares the real life experiences of his family, both the sailing ones and the emotional ones... the book is humorous, touching and has some very exciting moments.

I wish you all the best in your cruising adventures!
seakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 00:37   #18

Hey! Me again! I guess it would help if I told you the name of the book! Duh!

The name of the book is: The Voyage of The Maiatla with the Naked Canadian...

I know it sounds strange.. the Naked Canadian part came from a musician who wrote a song about the author.
seakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:30   #19

You'll become a real weather-watcher. The weather will affect your life much more than it does when living in a house. If it's raining for a week, and you live ashore, it's a minor inconvenience, but not much more. Living on a boat at anchor, it's a totally different matter. You'll get wet going anywhere - the dinghy won't have a roof or windscreen wipers. (Well not usually)

Conversely, when the weather is good, being on a boat enhances that too. You spend much more time outside than you would at home. You'll see the stars like never before, see moonrises, sunrises, sunsets, like never before.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:53   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicollej View Post
... Are there any golden rules? Things I should think about before living on a boat? Anything tips that will, or can make life a little more relaxing on a boat? ...
The most important golden rule for maintaining happiness aboard is simple courtesy & consideration.

The US Army defines “Consideration of Others" as:
"Those actions that indicate a sensitivity to and regard for the feelings and needs of others and an awareness of the impact of one’s own behavior on them; being supportive of and fair with others."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:00   #21

Hi. Just have fun, that what it all about. Wish ya all the best
Drifter2869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:22   #22

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Yet to be sailor. We've agreed on sailing as our get away from it all retirement.
She had reservations about living on top of each other and space and being stuck.
She has now accepted the post of Admiral with the responsibility for deciding where we go and what month. My job, as her Captain, is to choose exactly when (to suit the weather) and what route ( to suit boat and conditions ) and to readily accept any changes to policy that she may make.
My wish is that she is that she is with me on our journeys and that I don't end up in some distant water, on my jack jones, with a boat I don't want any more.
Buy yourself the hat or the badge, whatever, and make sure he understands.
Old 03-01-2008, 18:01   #23

Boat: Hans Christian 36'
Hi Nicolle,

I thought I'd offer some advice from a woman's perspective. I read as much as I could about sailing and liveaboard life, and I have some of my favorite books about it posted on my blog at this link: Rebel Heart - The boat and her crew - Charlotte's Links

I'm a pretty adventurous gal, but I found that the first three weeks of living aboard were a rough adjustment. There were arguments, tears and a lot of feeling out of sorts. It was hard for me to adjust to the long walk back and forth to the marina facilities (which you may not have to worry about if you're going sailing right away), the bed was uncomfortable, the head was stinky, we had an old rickety kerosene stove that didn't work; to be frank, the whole thing felt like camping, and I was worried that I had signed on to a life of constant camping. Camping is fun every once in awhile, NOT all the time. We eventually worked those things out. Eric was VERY good at addressing the big things that were bugging me right away. Just be prepared for an adjustment period.

Another thing too - don't let him try to talk you out of things. My fiance really freaked out at how many clothes I brought aboard, as well as other house wares. I just had to explain to him over and over that I understood it was a small boat, but that I had no way of knowing what I wanted and needed, so I brought more, instead of less.

Over a period of two months I pruned out the things I didn't need. Heck, we've now been aboard six months, and I'm still throwing things out, and not bringing things aboard. It was stressful for him to see so much 'stuff' being brought aboard, but if I hadn't stuck to my guns I would have felt like I was losing even more of my identity.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me an e-mail. I try to stay in contact with female liveaboards (there aren't that many of us out there! especially in our age range!)
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 15:37   #24

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
A cruising boat is one that you are cruising on.

Cruising is what you make it.

Be ready for anything.

Expect nothing.

Live life, not life living you.

Cruising is an extreme adventure, approach it as such.

Do what you enjoy and stay away from those things that you do not.

Bring something to study.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 16:11   #25

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I would think the statement that cruising is an extreme adventure is correct.

Unless you are well over 40ft with large bankroll.

I also think sailing is the most expensive way to go third class.

I also think it is much like permanent camping.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 16:59   #26

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Nicolle,

After 14 years of cruising, I can tell you that long ocean passages are 90% bordem and 10% sheer terror. Cruising is what YOU make of it.

I wouldn't be too concerned about sea sickness. The best advise that I can give is don't go down below for the 1st 2 hours on any passage. Stay on deck, take the first watch and be perceptive. Let your brain absorb the motion of the boat. This happens with your periferal vision. If you go below, your periferal vision is cut off and your brain has a harder time dealing with the motion. Chances are, you will get sea-sick from time to time. Most people do, especially when it gets rough, the 1st few times.

If you have a proclivity for sea-sickness, don't let it sway you. After 3-days at sea, you'll be good as gold. This may happen a few times, each time it will be shorter in duration until it is gone.

Being sea-sick on a passage isn't like being sick on a day sail. You have no option out at sea, so that nagging feeling of wanting to swim to shore or die, won't be there. I think that the mental part of it is worse than the physical.

BTW.....how old are you and how does your father feel about this, "Adventure"?
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 18:28   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post

BTW.....how old are you and how does your father feel about this, "Adventure"?
With all due respect Kanani, what is this? 1953?

A lot of very philosophical inputs here. Charlotte's post was extremely useful, IMO. Thanks for your honesty!

The guys tend to focus on teh edventure, the boat and the technical stuff. Charlotte spoke very clearly to creating her space in "his" world.

I think the number one key is communication. It's learning to live together all over, in a confined rocking space. Charlotte has the advantge of living in the Marina for a while before they launch.

You might consider discussing that with your SO, Nicolle. A month in the Marina is about the minimum time you should use to decide what goes on board and what doesn't.

Good luck!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 21:03   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
"What can I expect in my cruising life? "

Weeks of boredom and bliss interspersed with moments of sheer terror !
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 21:23   #29

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
You can expect the World!!! It's a wonderful trip. You'll learn along the way, so don't worry about trying to anticipate every eventuality (you can't). I don't know where you are in Oz, but you have some wonderful cruising available wherever you are on that big rock. Chesterfield Reef would be an incredible drive for a few weeks if you can manage it and are on the east coast. An excursion to a place like that would be a remarkable experience and you would learn more than in YEARS of coastal cruising.

Go Now.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:27   #30

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
With all due respect Kanani, what is this? 1953?
With all due respect to you Dan and Nicolle......if Nicolle is under 18, a lot of things change here and the advise that is given could be quite different.

Dear old Daddy could have the Federallies on their tale as soon as he realizes what is happening here, if she is under age. This was not a moral question, is was a legal one..
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote