Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-07-2012, 03:59   #136

Boat: OEM, proportional
Re: Very Funny Misconceptions ...

Whilstlearningtowriteinsecondgrademywordsusedtorun intooneanothersoIcleverly.began.putting.period.mar ks.between.them.to.slow.them.down.and.stop.them.cr ashing.into.each.other.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:31   #137
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

When I was about 5 or 6 my grandfather told me that a dog would dream about anything I could slip into his ear while he was sleeping. I can't imagine how many times I tried to slip something, ANYthing into a sleeping dog's ear. Good luck.

Now, in modern times, I am amazed at how many people think you can get heading from a GPS.

And here's one that amazes me, my first ex mother in law swore that hot water froze quicker than cold water in the freezer. I argued with her, repeatedly.

Turns out she was right, and I was wrong. Hot water does freeze quicker.

Old 08-07-2012, 19:25   #138

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Actually hot water freezes quicker only under certain conditions related to cooling effects of flash steam (the vapor you see over a hot cup of coffee for example). Then you have normal heat loss from walls and surface and additional heat loss from vaporization of flash steam.

Below about 140 degrees F or so, cooler water will freeze first,all other things being equal. Its all energy states and thermo..
Old 08-07-2012, 19:36   #139
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

When I read about the guy who proved it back some years ago, I think I read somewhat of a different explanation, something to do with radiation paths in a thermal storage medium. It's been a few years since I read it, but it made sense at the time. Just counter-intuitive.
Old 08-07-2012, 19:41   #140
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig

A no-doubt over-simplified explanation I was given by someone whose intellect I haven't much faith in is that the molecules in boiling (not just hot) water are moving faster than those of cold water and that is why it freezes faster.
But I don't know
Old 08-07-2012, 20:23   #141

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Well hot water looses heat from convection, conductance, vapor cooling and regasification. As hot water is heated, it looses various gases, O2, CO2, mainly. When it cools those gases will be reabsorbed from the then surrounding air. If that air is a freezer, hey the gases are already cold and will assist in the cool down.

All that being said, a cup of 50 degree water has to loose 19 btus to freeze. A 180 degree cup of water has to loose 149 btus to freeze. The 50 degree water will freeze first every time. Now start with say 100 degree water and the 180 degree water with all the extra heat loss effects going on might catch up and pass the 100 degree water in its way to solid.

If hot water truly freezed first every time, I would want to see the perpetual motion machine too.
Old 08-07-2012, 20:41   #142

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Actually hot water freezes quicker only under certain conditions related to cooling effects of flash steam (the vapor you see over a hot cup of coffee for example). Then you have normal heat loss from walls and surface and additional heat loss from vaporization of flash steam.

Below about 140 degrees F or so, cooler water will freeze first,all other things being equal. Its all energy states and thermo..
You make my brain hurt.
Old 08-07-2012, 20:46   #143

This one is going to sound pretty retarded at best. When I was very young, I was sitting at the pool one day and it occurred to me that I was probably very lucky my anus was so tight because otherwise water would get in when I was submerged and it would make me drown. Then I thought to myself how my younger sisters should never be allowed to be in the pool because although their anuses were tight as well, their neighboring vaginas were not. So, in the mind of a child, I reasoned I should tell my dad not to allow them in the pool for their own safety. Imagine the look when I said it........
Old 08-07-2012, 20:52   #144

Anal drowning.... that is a new one alright
Old 08-07-2012, 20:58   #145

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

Putting d cells in the fridge to re charge
Putting the vacuum cleaner outside during a hurricane ( remove the vacuum)
In the top of a Ferris wheel in Connecticut, I thought Long Island was Africa and I could see camels.
Old 08-07-2012, 21:59   #146

Boat: Beneteau 473
About 10-years ago, my then 48-year-old sister-in-law (a school teacher with a bachelor and masters degree) was telling me see didn't understand why her cat (then 6-years-old) wouldn't come when she called 'here kitty kitty'. When I asked why should the cat come, my sister-in-law explained that when she was a kid the family cat always came when called 'here kitty kitty' at dinner time. She then proceeded to tell me (and she was utterly serious) that all cats were born knowing to come when called 'here kitty kitty'.

Of course, I was 12 when I finally realized hamburger came from a cow. In southern California everything was always neatly packaged back then!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 14:58   #147

Boat: Lagoon 440

Christmas just passed we gave each of the children a memento from CROATIA in this instance a wire magic trick however we gave them each a Croatian Xmas Greeting card where all words were in Croatian other than their name and our wishes.

Our daughters 6 year old Stepson was staring at his and my wife said 'what do you think the card is from Croatia', he turned and said:-
"I was thinking i musta been dumber than i thought because i can't read it at all"

Fair enough he had never seen a foreign language written....

Tags
funny

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: