Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2008, 20:55   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Use a REAL leash puh-leeze

Not a reel leash......A couple times this year I have had somebodies
Yorkie or ****-zu or Cocka-Russell-Poo-Lab....cut in front of me while I am carrying things down the pier...they have this habit of entangling you.

Don't get me wrong...I love animals...I just don't like humans who look like they are trolling with them.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 09:30   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
A REAL leash could be 20ft long and could just as easily be real tangle threat. It has to do with the owner's ability to control their animal and when to use what leash. I personally use what is called a flexi-leash ('reel' leash) for training purposes or if im out in the woods for a walk. It combines the freedom that the dog wants with the control that I and the people around me require. Was the dog just tied somewhere on the pier without the lock mechanism on the flexi-leash engaged? Because I would see that as a problem. I don't think that any type of leash is bad, just, as you say, the behaviours and habits of those who them.

I love the cocka-russel-poo-lab comment. I have a bichon frise/yorkshire terrier and I hate when he's refered to as a 'yochon' or any of the other non-words that get invented for these small breeds. I especially hate the term 'toy breed' as my little buddy is anything but a toy.

I see your concern and I do agree that many dog owners are irresponsible with how they walk/tie up their dogs...just don't blame it on the leash! It dosn't know any better!!
Old 29-05-2008, 09:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Maybe you could suggest the owner has too much scope on the pooch's rode.
Old 29-05-2008, 10:26   #4

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
My son acquired through marriage a shih tzu, poodle, cocker mix he calls a shitpoocock. I love it. The name I mean. The dog is OK too.

We cruise with a dog and agree with the need to keep them leashed (especially our guy, Toby) and under control. Even well behaved dogs unleashed become a problem when Toby decides their on his turf.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 13:51   #5
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
I think the "Official" collective term for those small breeds of dogs is "FooFoo" dogs. Don't know who coined that phrase but it fits! Especially the ones in the designer dog carriers or puppy purses!

You know the one's I'm talking about! Their owners are the classy dames in big floppy hats covered in fake flowers and 6" stillettoes trying to walk down the docks w/o falling flat on their faces!

Note: This post is meant to be taken as a light hearted jest of "FooFoo" dog owners and please don't take it seriously. At least for those with dogs smaller than our 18 lb Orange Tabby Cat!

Hi! My name is Squirt but don't let the name fool you. I eat FooFoo dogs for breakfast! PS. I don't have/need/want a leash!

knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 20:41   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

That's one reason why a LOT of towns actually have laws requiring a leash or lead "not more than six feet long". Every time I see one of those dominant dogs dragging a human on a 25-foot long invisible extensible leach roller thing...I suppose the Darwinian explanation of "**** for brains!" must be "Well, the tigers gotta right to eat, too!"
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 20:43   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
You need one of these....

Old 02-06-2008, 13:15   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Not a reel leash......A couple times this year I have had somebodies
Yorkie or ****-zu or Cocka-Russell-Poo-Lab....cut in front of me while I am carrying things down the pier...they have this habit of entangling you.

Don't get me wrong...I love animals...I just don't like humans who look like they are trolling with them.
I was struck by how similar this thread was to one from last year, so I did a search. Sure enough, http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ting-7576.html dealt with the same subject. That, in itself, isn't unusual. But perhaps the fact that the same person started both threads is.

BTW, it isn't "****-zu," although many people pronounce it just the way that spelling infers. It is Shih-tzu, and it is pronounced shee-tsoo, with each syllable receiving equal emphasis, and the "t" of the last syllable is only lightly voiced.

TaoJones
Old 02-06-2008, 14:38   #9

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Hey Tao don't I get credit for spelling it correctly? :-)

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 14:44   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot Baby View Post
Hey Tao don't I get credit for spelling it correctly? :-)

George
For spelling Shih-Tzu correctly, George gets an A+. However, his post infers that the pronunciation is **** Zoo, so his grade is marked down to B-.

TaoJones
Old 02-06-2008, 15:02   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
People with their miniature rat dogs reel them out over the bike path all the time. One day it is going to happen. I am not going to see the black 1/8 inch line and the rat dog is going to be history ...and it will not be my fault.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:28   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
People with their miniature rat dogs reel them out over the bike path all the time. One day it is going to happen. I am not going to see the black 1/8 inch line and the rat dog is going to be history ...and it will not be my fault.
I hope this doesn’t herald the beginning of a new “rat dog” and/or “FooFoo dog” forum.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:53   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I hope not either.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:04   #14
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
that's funny .. i've had plenty of the little dogs pass by me also but they just kept going. the chihuahua barks a little but the big dog does it too. if anything I would say the big dogs are more likely to cause problems on a narrow path IMHO.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:24   #15
GreatKetch

I'm a dog owner of a reasonable sized dog (50 lbs).

One of these days I am going to find the sociopath who invented those long extentable leashes and kill him...very slowly.