Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-12-2012, 04:39   #31

Re: Toilet Cleaners from the Supermarket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicollej View Post
Hi
Hope you are all having a fantastic day!
I have been using a toliet cleaner from the chandlery which works well and is safe to use on the head/hoses etc.
However I only brought it once to try as it is very expensive.
I have tried vinegar, but I didn't feel this worked for our heads (we have two) and the boat ended up smelling like a bottle of vinegar.
I am wondering if anyone has been brave enough to try a regular toliet cleaner from the supermarket for their head on the boat?
Do these work on marine heads, and are they safe to use so that they won't burn the seals or hoses etc?
I would much rather buy a $2-3 regular toliet cleaner product (if they are safe to use for heads on boats) than a $15-20 version from the chandlery.
Is this possible?
It would be good to hear your experiences about this.......
Thanks and have a wonderful day!
Smiles
Nicolle from Sea Life
www.ourlifeatsea.com
Nice to hear your review about toilet cleaner. Even I use to employ vinegar but always fall short of desired results and then I brought Harpic toilet cleaner. Yes it costs me much more but my toilet is now clean and free from germs

Thanks

Old 03-12-2012, 05:46   #32

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

We have for many years used Hydrochloric acid in a 25% solution. I put 1/2 the bottle in the loo and pump it into the pump body and leave it for about 10 mins. Then pump it through then repeat this again then pump through a good 10 gallons of fresh water. This removes all the calcuim from the pump and the hoses. We do this about 3 times a year which has kept our loo nice and trouble free and smelling nice. We also use a product called toilet duck you stick it to the bowl and when you flush the loo it leaves a lovely clean smell. Neither the acid nor the toilet duck will harm either the hoses or the seals and ball valves.

Old 03-12-2012, 20:32   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
We have for many years used Hydrochloric acid in a 25% solution. I put 1/2 the bottle in the loo and pump it into the pump body and leave it for about 10 mins. Then pump it through then repeat this again then pump through a good 10 gallons of fresh water. This removes all the calcuim from the pump and the hoses. We do this about 3 times a year which has kept our loo nice oven cleaning and trouble free and smelling nice. We also use a product called toilet duck you stick it to the bowl and when you flush the loo it leaves a lovely clean smell. Neither the acid nor the toilet duck will harm either the hoses or the seals and ball valves.
Thanks for giving your important thoughts. I will try to implement your cleaning formula.
Old 03-12-2012, 21:13   #34
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I'm sorry, but...

1. Do all heads use the same type of rubber? No, there are several compounds and they are not closely related, Chemical compatabilities vary by brand. Read the manual. I'm guessing you all had high school chemistry; read the ingredients and MSDSs.

2.The head will be germ-free for 30 minutes, until used again. Reasonably clean is all you get. Sterile is silly and imaginary.

3. Kill the bacteria in the holding tank and you will get odor and possibly plugs.

4. Acid for calcium build-up and daily cleaning are very different. Over do any harsh cleaner--even vinegar--and you are shortening the life. Again, read the manual, it's all there.

5. There are cleaning alternatives that are effectivly free.
Sail Delmarva: Something Free, Something Lazy

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:43   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, fadridrocky.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:59   #36
Aspiring Voyager

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 51' FD-12
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

We use vinegar periodically for all the good reasons previously mentioned, but that is not our daily routine.

After every use of the head we put in a dash of Fabuloso that we had learned about when in the tropics. Besides the urine smell, if your head uses salt water, it gets funky pretty fast in tropical weather. Fabuloso takes care of that nicely. We also spray it on for periodic wipe downs. It comes in small spray bottles, but they also sell economical large refill sizes and it makes a good general purpose cleaner as well.

It is mild and won't hurt you skin and the lavender scented version leaves the head compartment pleasantly scented.

I have heard it also repels cockroaches.

It is also commonly available in North America.

Regards,

Todd

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: