Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2009, 11:50   #1
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Today I Am Feeling Overwhelmed

I don't know why,

Maybe it's the crappy weather and overcast today. Maybe it's that we didn't get to take our sailing class yesterday. Maybe its that of the 12 sunbrella samples I got the 1 that I really need to mail to the sunbrella place is missing.. so I have 11 samples ready to go and the most important one is disappeared...

Maybe it's that I have the electrical drawings mostly done, but not quite and Himself is wanting me to call the dude to arrange beginning the 110 system install. maybe it's that Himself is struggling with the prep of all the interior paint that needs scraping and sanding and I don't want to move on electrical until its all done and cleaned up. Maybe it's that I can't find a stove top oven combo that fits into the space I have for it.

maybe it's that that halyard Himself wouldn't help me secure when the knot gave way is still swinging around up at the top of the mast... so we can't take her out for even a little spin...

I don't know, for some reason today I am feeling overwhelmed...

this too, shall pass, won't it?

please tell me it will.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 11:54   #2

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Of course it will pass. look for something good to be happy and content with and be thankful for all the good things.
Old 18-08-2009, 12:05   #3

One of the biggest differences between getting ready to go and actually being underway is not that everything is finally done. It's that all those things that still aren't quite right suddenly don't seem so important anymore.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 12:06   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Me - I wish I only had your problems.

Cheer up, select a more cheerful playlist on the Ipod, make a hot sweet cup of tea and sit down for ten minutes with a nice chocolate biscuit, and the world will resume spinning for you

I may have to take far more drastic measures as my world spins further out of my control.
Old 18-08-2009, 12:09   #5
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Yes Sara, it will pass. Take a deep breath and think about what is required to tackle each job, but one at a time.

1.You should be able to use your jib halyard (unless I am mistaken, you have a masthead rig) and a bosuns chair for someone to get up to retrieve your main halyard (or vice versa). If you don't have one, I am sure you can borrow a bosun's chair for the time being. You may also wish to consider a spare halyard . In either case, consider the fact that you are lucky you are having this dilemma at dock rather than at sea; and, consider it a good thing that you have discovered your need for some additional gear before you desperately need it.

2. Why not get the shore power done and then repaint? Strikes me that they are apt to damage some freshly painted areas when installing outlet boxes etc.

3. If you know the name of the sunbrella colour/patterns that were shipped to you, you can figure it out by elimination send them the particulars (they shouldn't need the actual sample). You could probably also work it out by looking at sunbrella samples on the net.

4. Give us your dimensions and someone here may be able to assist in a source for a stove/oven. If you do have to cut a cabinet, then all the more reason to put off painting. I do know that Force 10 (now built under a different name which I forget, although I believe it is Kuna), make some small 'euro'. gimballed propane stoves with ovens. Have you checked them out?

Finally, having worked out what you need on all projects I would suggest that you lay back and reward yourself with a nice glass of wine!!!!

Cheers!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 12:10   #6

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
It will get better Sara,
Boy, I feel your pain. I just wanted to say..put one foot in front of the other. You can only do one project at a time, though 5 or 10 may be half done, one at a time. Prioritize, and have fun.

Just so you know you are not alone, here is a short list about OG's refit or lack there of:
Bowsprit rotten (so no sailing), holding tank removed because contents leaked into the bilge - waiting for custom tank to be shipped, stove removed but not replaced, Deck fill for fuel seized so must fill fuel by removing hose attached to tank, I have duct tape in my bilge (long story) and a jury rigged hose clamp.. well, I'll never admit what that hose clamp is doing !

But I Know one day, when she is ready, I will sail her across an ocean and I will know every bolt and every screw, and also maybe a little duct tape
Hang in there,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 12:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
Me - I wish I only had your problems.

Cheer up, select a more cheerful playlist on the Ipod, make a hot sweet cup of tea and sit down for ten minutes with a nice chocolate biscuit, and the world will resume spinning for you

I may have to take far more drastic measures as my world spins further out of my control.
I would never wish to change places or trade my life as im happy. Sure I want to make a few additions but im so fortunate to be well, solvent, independent and capable. Be careful what you wish for.
Old 18-08-2009, 12:16   #8

Boat: Irwin- Barefoot 37CC (Custom MK V) "Quest"
Oh Sara, I had to chuckle at your gloom. I guess we've all been there and believe me it's not a female thing. There is a certain pain we all suffer getting a boat ready to go and then suddenly every thing is okay. Then we sail and enjoy for a reasonable time and things start to go awry again.

When it starts to get to you, sit back and relax, take a deep breath (my wife goes and has her hair done and I take a motorcycle ride). When we feel better we go back and hit it again.

Seems to me like I've been riding a lot lately

Have fun

Joe S
svquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 12:23   #9
CLOD

Boat: none
I sense the biggest overwhelming is....."Himself"
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 12:41   #10

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
actually ALL of those people who responded so far are lying to you. It will never get any better. You think it does, but just as you look across the ocean at the beautiful sunset, you realize you forgot to hookup the charger while you were working on the batteries and electrical and now they're dead. Not just alittle dead, really dead. like they won't even glow a bulb and it's getting dark. Your engine won't start and now you have to wait in the darkness for the sun to come up and light the panels to charge one pair of batteries and maybe get the generator started or the engine running. Now you face the open water with only sails and no nav gear running because of one stupid oversight.
Yep... life is maintenance and it never gets any better than it is right now, no matter where right now is located. Smile...
what else would you rather be doing? changing a flat tire along some expressway? Maybe walking down the shoulder of the lonelest stretch of highway with an empty gas can? Hey...
cheer up... life is only a test. You either pass or fail and no one ever gets out alive.

How's that for looking at the bright side?
Old 18-08-2009, 12:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdennyb View Post
actually ALL of those people who responded so far are lying to you. It will never get any better. You think it does, but just as you look across the ocean at the beautiful sunset, you realize you forgot to hookup the charger while you were working on the batteries and electrical and now they're dead. Not just alittle dead, really dead. like they won't even glow a bulb and it's getting dark. Your engine won't start and now you have to wait in the darkness for the sun to come up and light the panels to charge one pair of batteries and maybe get the generator started or the engine running. Now you face the open water with only sails and no nav gear running because of one stupid oversight.
Yep... life is maintenance and it never gets any better than it is right now, no matter where right now is located. Smile...
what else would you rather be doing? changing a flat tire along some expressway? Maybe walking down the shoulder of the lonelest stretch of highway with an empty gas can? Hey...
cheer up... life is only a test. You either pass or fail and no one ever gets out alive.

How's that for looking at the bright side?
Oh you cynic. Think happy, be happy.
Old 18-08-2009, 12:55   #12

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
that's what I've read, but seldom does what I read turn out to be actually what the "real world" dishes out. LoL
I had to shake the trees a bit. After all...
My motto is:

"If you think you'll be worrying about it a year from now, you have good reason to get all upset about it now, otherwise, shine it on."

Life goes on. I actually got a really good deal when the people I bought my last boat from felt like her... yes, I'm guilty of taking advantage of someone... but hey, if they wanted me to take 'er off their hands... well...
not everyone can be happy all the time. LoL
Old 18-08-2009, 12:59   #13
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
oh Don.... that is so painfully insightful.... *sigh*

ok, you guys are great. Just the right mix of a kick in the ass and a sympathetic shoulder.

I have lots to be thankful for. Nothing is dire, only annoying and tiresome and/or expensive. Eventually this dammed San Francisco summer shall pass as well and I will see the sun again...

I have a jib halyard and a mast rig. But it is up so high I am not confident I will be able to snag it when I get as high as the jib halyard goes.. (not all the way to the top of the mast)

I do want to do the power work before the painting (actually paneling more than painting...) but I want to do it AFTER the prepping so we are not trying to scrape and sand around areas the new wiring and stuff has been run.

The sunbrella issue is annoying because I am working with a guy who handles bolt ends and doesn't have style names/numbers and needs swatches to match to... So I am gonna have to find the missing sucker or order another one from sunbrella. I am headed down to our little hole in the water this afternoon and have my fingers crossed that I will find it there...

The cooking appliance space used to have a alcohol stove in it on gimbals. At this point I think I will refurbish the Mariner Homestrand
for use until we find something that works better. The measurements for all the spaces on the boat are on a sheaf of yellow note pad pages that I (of course) can't find today... may they are hiding with that orange sunbrella sample.

I guess I have been working on this for 2 months now, so I can forgive myself a momentary lapse.

I feel better already.

Thanks.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 14:07   #14

Boat: Manta 40
Quote:
Be careful what you wish for.
If you don't know what you want and are just throwing darts this is sound advice.

If you are the type that gets what they wish for throw caution to the wind or overboard, whichever is closer, and start wishing. You just might have a serendipitously auspicious day.

I think cdennyb nailed it. The ***** just keeps coming at you, the best defense is to be transparent to the crapola that gets dumped on you from whatever source, the supply is endless.

If the Buddist angle doesn't work for you just use your favorite swear word with gusto just once and move on, venting works. Or just go find your favorite distraction and have it distract you for awhile, might just give you the shift you need.
Old 18-08-2009, 14:28   #15

Boat: Sceptre 41
Sara:

You are competent, capable, and you will see the end of this. On a fractional rig such as you have (jib attaches lwer than the main) In order to retrieve the main halyard you have a couple of choices 1) go to the top with a boat hook and see if you can reach it, 2) when you get to the highest point you need to tie prussik knots around the mast and make a ladder out of rope to step up higher. 3) hang out at a rock climbing gym and find someone willing to climb your mast and retirieve the halyard and 4) drop the mast. I would guess that the mainis only four or five feet higher than the jib. If you have a rock climbing friend it is pretty easy. Ok just thought of one more option. tie up next to a boat with a mast that is 10' to 15' taller than yours. Go up his halyard ina botsuns chiar but attach yourself to the shrouds on your boat with a carabiner. Have a second carabiner ready sot that you can change out at the spreaders. Come thing will work out.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote