Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-11-2014, 19:15   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Amphitrite - 43' Ketch
Three cabin family in a two cabin boat?

We are a four person family, girl of 13, boy of 9. Does anyone cruise full time with such a crew and only two cabins?

We had been looking at "affordable" world cruiser three cabin boats such as a Stevens 47, Lagoon 42, etc., but realized we can get very nice boats for half the cost (acquisition, maintenance, etc.), but only two cabins. A smaller boat like a Lafitte 44 would get us out there faster, with more spare cash for staying out, college funds, whatever. Many of these boats allow for some separation between siblings, though usually with curtains vs. doors.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Scott

Old 17-11-2014, 22:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Three cabin family in a two cabin boat?

A boat with two quarter berths worked for cruisers we met who had two kids. The kids turned the quarter berths into their own kid caves that could be closed off with curtains. The Tartan 41 has a huge area under the cockpit that could be turned into tow cabins with a little work.

Old 18-11-2014, 06:53   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!

There are lots of smaller boats with 3 cabins.

We charter a Jeanneau 36 periodically that has 2 aft cabins and a v-berth.

Tight living for sure but there are others as well.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 12:40   #4

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMeilicke View Post
We are a four person family, girl of 13, boy of 9. Does anyone cruise full time with such a crew and only two cabins?

Any thoughts?

They're still growing. And will discover they occasionally need some private retreat. And might eventually want to host their own visitors?

I think you probably need to bite the bullet...

-Chris
Old 18-11-2014, 13:00   #5

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House

I depends on your son. When we cruised on our Tayana 42 three cabin, there was a plenty of room for everybody. My wife insisted that we buy a three cabin boat and I follows to provide one, it turned out a great boat. But my daughter, 9 at the time quickly filled her cabin with toys and treasures that there was no room for her to sleep in, so she spend almost three years sleeping on the saloon's seatee or in the cockpit and never once complained about it. My kids were exactly the same age as yours when we started cruising. We met Argentinian family of 5 cruising on the 36 footer that were still working on the finishing of the interior and had a great time and never once complain about it
Old 18-11-2014, 13:35   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Scott, henryk is right, kids seem to not be bothered by limited space. But those kids usually started younger than the 13 you mention for your daughter. It'll be a piece of cake unless she's already hooked on a land based life. If she is a mature 13, she'll definitely need a girly cave.

I'm hoping you and your good lady are including her in the planning and discussions, because having her onside is going to make a huge difference--to all of you.

Ann
Old 18-11-2014, 18:54   #7

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Most children we meet in monohulls are sharing a room. Even in large boats with three or four berths, it's common for a room to be used for storage and the kids to sleep together.

Everyone in multihulls seems to have their own room. Plus Mom's sewing room, plus the kids TV lounge, plus the cats own bathroom. And etc. I don't know if this is a sampling error, but we more often see teenagers in multihulls. Maybe that's why?

My daughters, 8 and 11, started out sharing the v-berth with a cloth and mesh divider strung down the center. This would have worked fine for other people, but not for our own uniquely weird life. My older daughter is special needs and eventually figured out how to reach through the cloth divider and steal her sisters toys. Well, one in particular -- she partially ate her sisters ipad, crunching glass in her mouth, and we had a whole day of drama. That day she moved out of the v-berth, to sleep on the couch.

Until we got to St Marten, where fantastic carpenters made her a room. They chopped the top half off of a closet that was just aft of the v-berth, cut a big hole in the wall to the v-berth, and then added plywood to divide the v-berth in two. This made a new pullman berth, and turned the v into a single. This was quick and inexpensive since our boat is not finished to a high standard -- more Ikea than Grandma's sitting room. It took two weeks, much of that waiting for paint to dry, and less than $2k, I think. The photo is halfway through the construction process.

We could have never done that in our previous boat, which seemed to have been carved from a solid block of teak by eunuch monks in the Forbidden City. It felt taboo to screw a picture frame into a bulkhead, if we ever dared to violate that fine wood a noxious gas would pour out of the hole, Indiana-Jones style.

Good luck with you adventure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	split-v-berth.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	91932  
Old 18-11-2014, 22:26   #8

Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies, they have been helpful. I think it will work for us. Our kids are definitely involved with the decision making, we wouldn't have it any other way. Just this evening my daughter started having second thoughts about giving her younger brother the "boy cave", just a wide spot in the passage way of our mythical boat, and was offering the vbirth to him.

My wife and I are also realistic that there will be some nights when we find ourselves in the salon, one kid in each of the two cabins. So it goes.

The families with five and six kids on monos less than 50' are incredible and inspiring. I'm sure they would have just as hard a time imagining only two as I do with six.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-11-2014, 22:32   #9

Well I see I was using the wrong account!

Chris, your thoughts have occurred to me. I'm thinking if we decide as a family that the boat is no longer working, we will do something else. New boat, RV, condo and a dingy, whatever. If we make a year I'll be happy.

Old 19-11-2014, 09:48   #10

Might not be a popular suggestion, but several models of smaller mass production boats have 3 cabins. Both Hunter and Beneteau have cruising boats starting around 36' with a large V-Birth and two smallish aft cabins. Available cheap too. I had my eye on a hunter 40 around my neck of the woods with 3 cabins for $39000.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-11-2014, 17:46   #11

You know FamilyVan, that idea has merit in my mind. I am concerned about tankage and interior fit and finish. My wife spent a week on on a 2007 39' Jeanneau, and she really liked the three cabin layout. Two negatives in her mind were the head in the vbirth (avoidable with a different model), and the shoddy interior. The new boats at the boat show had similarly shoddy interiors to my eye as well. But maybe we go for a late 80s to mid 90s boat. From the pictures I see online, the interiors seem better.

Tags
cabin, family

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: