Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2012, 00:06   #31

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.
Re: Things you wished you'd known before you went cruising

Livia has a made a very good point. One of the sad things of our 'modern' society is that people are so wrapped up in their own importance they don't take time to make genuine friends,they become shallow (I term them surface people) whose friendship is just a casual acqaintance. Social networking is just a polite term for a bunch of 'users' as long as you are a useful contact. We all know the real gems well, the grade A Bullshitters !
Livia the first rule is to be happy and content in yourself and don't despair, there are some super people out there who make genuine friends and will go through fire and water for you.
Good luck and a very HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 04:05   #32
CLOD

Boat: none

I believe I read somewhere about what makes a good crusier that 1 of things was about whether you had a strong need to be around friends. People happy cruising whould be expected to not have as nuch need to be around long time close friends.
Old 31-12-2012, 05:22   #33

Boat: 41' Sail

While cruising to Auckland from So Cal in 2006, we stopped in Hawaii, Palmyra, Ofu-Samoa, Tonga and Fiji. At each stop, some for a few days but most was for a month or more, I simply hated leaving the very good friends I made, especially in Neiafu and Musket Cove. I had no idea I would become so attached so quickly to complete strangers. Tough to leave...BTW- If anyone has ever met up with Michael and Yvonne aboard Thors Gladje in the South Pacific would love to hear how they are doing..
Old 31-12-2012, 06:22   #34
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
People happy cruising whould be expected to not have as nuch need to be around long time close friends.
Lol you got that one wrong! Lol I miss my friends from home every day. And for some weird reason the bunch of 6 of the closest can't communicate by email and certainly can't afford to visit.

The "average" cruiser, or maybe better to say majority, but need to take out many like some low budget ones, etc but the most common cruiser has had a successful life back home in a reasonable to high grade job, and can now afford a cruising life. Also has raised a family.
It's a very very different world from high intensity, high value social, business and family life to kicking back year after year with none of it.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 06:49   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Things you wished you'd known before you went cruising

For me its not as bad as it seems for others... low budget tho' I am..
Every so often I'll get the chance to visit the UK and hang out with those I care about... my living involves more or less set stops like Baiona-Cascais-Gib-St Martin-Azores.. the list goes on...
I know locals as friends in all these places and sometimes run into folk I last saw in another sea/ocean... so in a way.. when I'm away from base... its visiting friends..
So when folk ask.."Don't you get lonely..?"... its a puzzlement..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 07:20   #36

Good comment about meeting people cruising. I also found that other cruisers were not as friendly as I had heard. But it was a mixed bag--met some very nice folks in a few marinas as we cruised and met some not so nice ones. (one couple stole our dock lines when they left the marina leaving us tied up with some old line--ours were brand new--we were out shopping and shocked when we returned)
But don't give up--there are folks out there happy to meet you and hopefully you will find them!
CJ
captjeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 07:27   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjeanette View Post
Good comment about meeting people cruising. I also found that other cruisers were not as friendly as I had heard. But it was a mixed bag--met some very nice folks in a few marinas as we cruised and met some not so nice ones. (one couple stole our dock lines when they left the marina leaving us tied up with some old line--ours were brand new--we were out shopping and shocked when we returned)
But don't give up--there are folks out there happy to meet you and hopefully you will find them!
CJ
Name n Shame...??

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 31-12-2012, 07:39   #38

Boat: 44 M/Y gulfstar

Everybody can teach you anything even if they have no clue
Old 31-12-2012, 07:45   #39
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Was just having a think about this stuff whilst washing the dishes...

Do you remember Maslows Hierachy of Needs?
I just dredged up his pyramid and cruising can see where some of the things go a bit skew-whiff from pre-retirement life and post retirement life.
A lot of those esteem things can fly out the window. I was yelled at by some belligerent policeman the other day in Ft Lauderdale and it upset me because he treated me like a criminal... In my old life people never treated me that way. In our old lives our jobs could provide a lot of esteem including social functions, parties, conferences and reunions. Many cruisers were, if not the big fish, were a real fish in their own chosen pond and rewarded for it in that pyramid.
Many live in a situation where if the car needs a service it disappears for a day and reappears all happy... Now we are expected to get down and dirty. Some love some dont.

So I guess I am advising those new to it that there's much to cruising that one doesn't expect when dreaming about it at home!
Now is the right time to take steps to be prepared for it, or circumvent it.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	51941  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 07:52   #40
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Nice post Mark.... I'm gobsmacked...

Old 31-12-2012, 08:03   #41

Boat: Rafiki 37

I would assume there are just about as many "types" of people out there as you would find in most human societies. Most people are respectful and kind, many are generous, and some are dick-heads. At least half the people out there are extroverts who need and want lots of human interactions, while the other half are introverts who are happier with a fewer people in their lives.

Seems to me the only thing to do is to know who you are, and seek out what you need. And don't be surprised when you find that not everyone out there is the same as you.
Old 31-12-2012, 08:59   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I would assume there are just about as many "types" of people out there as you would find in most human societies. Most people are respectful and kind, many are generous, and some are dick-heads. At least half the people out there are extroverts who need and want lots of human interactions, while the other half are introverts who are happier with a fewer people in their lives.

Seems to me the only thing to do is to know who you are, and seek out what you need. And don't be surprised when you find that not everyone out there is the same as you.
I have found the profile of cruisers I have come across to be VERY different to that of most landlubbers (for want of a better word LOL). This lifestyle appeals to a select number and none I have met so far have been "dick-heads". Lots of variety in character and personality (including whether they are introverts or extroverts), but a very high proportion have that appealing zest for life and "get up and go" attitude and that is so often lacking in the general population .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 09:02   #43
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

there are many types of souls out here...those of us who chance to meet up become friends, even if we only meet in certain places at certain times of year.

we are not able to leave the inner self at port--that soul comes along with us no matter where we go--some folks seem to think they are able to get away from self--but....those do not do well, as self is always with ...
know self and be confident with that inner being and have a great life full of adventures and fun in new places--yes, old friends are missed, but the party is ON when y'all again meet...lovely way to live..

btw--feliz fin del ano and may your new year be awesome...

oh, yes--i did meet 3 boats with dick heads in...one HAD to anchor over my anchor, and drag up that of another boat in process...one stole my charts of everywhere south of ensenada off my boat when i was in mazatlan, and one who said the boat anchoring over my anchor was 300 yards off--lol--some souls need to re measure items they consider measuring tools...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 09:27   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
there are many types of souls out here...those of us who chance to meet up become friends, even if we only meet in certain places at certain times of year.

we are not able to leave the inner self at port--that soul comes along with us no matter where we go--some folks seem to think they are able to get away from self--but....those do not do well, as self is always with ...
know self and be confident with that inner being and have a great life full of adventures and fun in new places--yes, old friends are missed, but the party is ON when y'all again meet...lovely way to live..

btw--feliz fin del ano and may your new year be awesome...
Friendships tend to be cemented very quickly on the water as well. Cruisers have instant common ground, and an instant camaraderie exist. After short acquaintances we have had invitations to stay with people worldwide. Homes are certainly not opened up like this when people meet each other under normal circumstances. A camaraderie exists between crusiers that is just not found elsewhere. At least this is what I have encountered in Australia and in the Med.

And Happy New Year to you too Zee .

Edited to add: Wotname's assistance to Boaty is just a classic example of this!

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 09:43   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wotname so rocks--awesome to know someone so awesome as to help a soul in need....

many of us are like that, arent we.....i know i give my last whatever if someone needs it more than do i...(why i havent saved dough ..LOL)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising