Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2013, 09:47   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
The Perfect Doggy Pee Mat

After spending a few days at anchor with our new dog, scupper, I am revamping the pee mat to be...better. What we have now is a hunk of AstroTurf carpet that sheds, and I can tell it will fall apart in the harsh environment.

My idea is a layered system.
(1)Fake grass on top of an (2)absorbent material, on top of a (3)rubber or plastic non absorbent material.

I will whip a border of rope/line around edges of all three layers and have a lanyard system where by you can slide the mat overboard, dunk a few times, then hang over side above waterline to get drip dry and ready for the next round.

I have a bunch of small drift wood, I may secure vey small piece to middle.

Anyone have what they think is the perfect doggy pee mat? Pictures if ya can
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	69619  
Old 31-10-2013, 11:01   #2

Our Golden Retrievers pee and poop on the foredeck. Training them involved walking them forward and then waiting until they could not hold it any longer. We bag the poops and throw in our trash. We wash the pee overboard with the hose or bucket. No need for a mat (which never worked when we tried it).
Rick01541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 11:11   #3

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409
Re: The Perfect Doggy Pee Mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick01541 View Post
Our Golden Retrievers pee and poop on the foredeck. Training them involved walking them forward and then waiting until they could not hold it any longer. We bag the poops and throw in our trash. We wash the pee overboard with the hose or bucket. No need for a mat (which never worked when we tried it).
How may days did you wait for, knowing how long dogs can hold on?
Srah 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 11:20   #4

One took about four days and the other I think was only one.
Rick01541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 11:48   #5

Our little guy likes the mat set up, and I'm hoping to get him to look for the mat for his pee and poo needs. That way, I can move the mat when necessary. The mat is on the foredeck at anchorage, and I'd like to move it to just outside the cockpit while under sail, and even to the stern deck when weather is rough.

Having another dog pee on your mat/spot will also help your dog use the potty. My dog wouldn't pee on the boat till my hubby showed him (by peeing on the mat himself). Worked like a charm. We tell him to "go potty" and praise him when he does. I also took his mat to the dog park and rubbed it on the ground. Good fun smells are important too, that is why I may incorporate a small piece of old drift wood.
Old 31-10-2013, 12:16   #6

Household How To: DIY - Washable Doggie Pee Pee Pad [Tutorial]

This is a good one, but I would skip some layers and try a natural fake grass.
Old 09-11-2013, 17:15   #7

I made the mat, scupper immediately used it as soon as I put it down. I did get some good smells on it from other dogs by dragging it around the pet area at our marina. I posted a writer on our blog ( scupper's page) but it is not showing, I will work on getting it up for those interested in how I made it.
Well here it is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	422.9 KB
ID:	70123  
Old 09-11-2013, 18:24   #8

It looks great!
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 19:20   #9

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Our first real offshore with my ex's puppy, we cut a piece of indoor-outdoor carpet from an off length and placed it where he peed every day ashore. We placed on the aft deck of our Ingrid 38 and when we boosted him into the cockpit, he headed for it without fail. Unfortunately, it washed over board a week into the passage and he was vey confused for a couple of days but after relieving himself on a pair of her knickers down below, we firmly attached them to where the carpet had previously been... problem solved!
The smell, familiarity of the area and personal habits will sort every thing out in few days. Consistency may be the hobgoblins of small minds but it sure works with pets aboard. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 20:46   #10

Boat: Tartan 3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
I made the mat, scupper immediately used it as soon as I put it down. I did get some good smells on it from other dogs by dragging it around the pet area at our marina. I posted a writer on our blog ( scupper's page) but it is not showing, I will work on getting it up for those interested in how I made it.
Well here it is...
@Ocean Girl - I feel inspired to try again after seeing Scupper's mat. I tried for a while with a crummy astroturf-ish doormat and my dog would have nothing of it. He held it over 24 hours before I gave in...I couldn't believe it. But I guess @Rick01541 beats me with four days!
brianc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 21:57   #11

Boat: Vancouver 27

My pooch lasted over 2 days! It was not a pleasant experience for any of the party's involved, but hey..
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:09   #12

How big is poochie? Assuming he is on the smaller size.

We picked up a plastic tub designed to slide under a bed. The sides are around 4-5 inches high. We put a green bathroom rug in it.

It took Diego a few tries before he got the hang of it but now it's pretty much automatic. The nice thing is the sides contain all the liquid, we can take it with us and he automatically knows what to do (we spent a winter in a highrise apartment and just set it out on the balcony and we were in buisiness). Also, it provides a barrier so your fiberglass deck doesn't get pickled in pee. He still prefers to go on actual walks but...

We did see a really nice setup a few years ago. It was on a 45 trawler. On the foredeck, they built platform out of starboard about 8x8 with low sides. It had an outlet with a hose that ran overboard and was laid out with astroturf and a flower pot in the middle. When we talked to the folks, the dog wouldn't go anywhere else. He still liked walks but would wait till he got back on the boat to go.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote