Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2011, 15:32   #1

Boat: 1986 35' Senator Sundeck - Skinny Dippin'
Teaching an Old(er) Dog to Pee on the Boat

Does any one have any good advice on teaching an older dog to use a turf pee pad on the boat? Our dog is about 8 years old and very teachable. He knows how to play hide and seek, and poops on command before we get in the car to drive to the boat. I don't think this should be too hard. But in an effort to not screw up before I start...who has some good advice for me??!!

Previously we've always picked anchorages with shore access for dog duty....but we'd like to have the option to not need to worry about dingying ashore to pee the dog.

Thanks in advance!! I look forward to your help!
BessLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 16:26   #2
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: Teaching an old(er) dog to pee on the boat

This is a popular topic ; -)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-42973.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ods-27259.html

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 18:54   #3

Re: Teaching an Old(er) Dog to Pee on the Boat

Thanks Sara! My Search led me nowhere quickly. I appreciate the links!
Old 14-05-2011, 18:57   #4
cruiser

We developed a simple way to help a dog understand where they can do their business on a boat. It works by using the psychology of the way dogs think about what's "inside" and "outside" on a boat. They seem to get confused about it and don't want to pee on the bow, let's say, because they recognize the entire boat as an "inside" place.

We've used the technique on 3 of our own dogs. Dyna was 9 when she ran through it with flying colors. Since publishing the article, more than 50 people have written to us telling us how well the technique works.

We keep a blog of our cruising done mostly from the point of view of our two dogs onboard:
http://takingpaws.com
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 19:20   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Teaching an Old(er) Dog to Pee on the Boat

Ok.... Doggie Psychology....
Dunno if you've noticed but dogs like to sniff and pee where others have been before... its a territorial thing.. marking their zone...
I suggest you find a tree or something thats popular with dogs in the area then lay your square of turf against it... then sit back and wait.
All you need is one dog to come up, sniff and pee on it..
Give it a quick shake to dispose of the excess then take it back to the boat and lay it in the spot you've picked for its 'Loo'...
I reckon he'll pee on it within 2mins after you've shown it to him... and he'll carry on after... just pat him on the head and give him a treat after when he looks at you all worried when he realises he may have done wrong...
We train em to pee away from home... so its no wonder they'll burst their bladders first...
Dunno if this is similar to Active Captains... have not read it... don't have a dog...
Did have a GF with an Airdale who refused on the boat... she squatted and pee'd at the bow in front of him... the aft deck by the cockpit.. the dog just looked at her like she was nuts and walked away.... Hilarious

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 19:31   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
...dogs like to sniff and pee where others have been before... its a territorial thing.. marking their zone...
Since the OP's dog is a male, that's not a bad thing to try along with the inside/outside training. Females aren't so interested in over-pee'ing another dog so it might have little effect with them.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 19:38   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Teaching an Old(er) Dog to Pee on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
Since the OP's dog is a male, that's not a bad thing to try along with the inside/outside training. Females aren't so interested in over-pee'ing another dog so it might have little effect with them.
LOL..... obviously have'nt seen their interest in male dog pee...
check out the testosterone levels... if high.. squat and pee beside...
We're all out to leave signs for the perfect mate... even dogs...
But teasing aside... its worth a shot...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 19:53   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I like the "Boatman61 plan! I added, what some may think as cruel, a teather to the stern rail that was not removed until the puppy poroduced!

I'm no dog whisperer, but I am far more stubborn than my puppy!

Isn't this a face of a sincere dog!
Let's do lunch and discuss the plan,-
The solution comes with consistancy, DOGmatic deligence and adherance to a plan. 'and on your side is the axiom, - "dogs will pee and crap!"
When I clap my hands and call out the command word, "Lido...Lido"....my dog, Zorro, runs to the stern and he won't return until he's produced something.
Old 14-05-2011, 19:53   #9

Boat: Piver Victress

Teach the dog to pee & crap in the cockpit (sailboat ) or afterdeck (powerboat ) .... one bucket of seawater & the stuff goes down the scuppers ....

Turf ..... pffffft
svtadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 15:42   #10

Thanks everyone for the words of wisdom! I got a piece of "putting green" plastic carpet at Lowe's for super cheap....and some puppy training smell spray from the petsmart. For day one, in the back yard, he did show some smellable interest in the little piece of plastic grass. I don't think it will take long at all.

We have a little trawler, and my hope is to be able to throw the "pee area" out on the bow (near our anchor washdown) when needed and stow it when not. It's good to hear that others have also trained older dogs to be accommodating.
Old 15-05-2011, 15:56   #11
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
Females aren't so interested in over-pee'ing another dog so it might have little effect with them.
Ours is!!! She cocks her leg too. Too much time spent with boy dogs, methinks.

Our bitch prefers to hold it in on the boat, but when cruising for the weekend she goes on the bow... Not sure why, we never asked her to, or trained her to. Might be just that it's the furthest away from us normally, and least people traffic...?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 17:06   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Ours is!!! She cocks her leg too. Too much time spent with boy dogs, methinks.

Our bitch prefers to hold it in on the boat, but when cruising for the weekend she goes on the bow... Not sure why, we never asked her to, or trained her to. Might be just that it's the furthest away from us normally, and least people traffic...?
Our girly dog is the same, sometimes squats and squirts, other times cocks her leg, and usually where another dog has been. And, really does not like to do it on the boat, emergency only.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 18:16   #13

My wife (Lord help me if she finds out I told you all) squated and peed in front of our black Lab forward of the mast. The dog followed behind her and peed also, first time!
Morgan3820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2011, 18:21   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan3820 View Post
My wife (Lord help me if she finds out I told you all) squated and peed in front of our black Lab forward of the mast. The dog followed behind her and peed also, first time!
There's a profit to be made here! I can see the title now,- THE DOG WHIZPERER!
Old 16-05-2011, 19:08   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Bess, I think Tom learns best by example - so take him out and show him exactly what you wish him to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BessLB View Post
Does any one have any good advice on teaching an older dog to use a turf pee pad on the boat? Our dog is about 8 years old and very teachable. He knows how to play hide and seek, and poops on command before we get in the car to drive to the boat. I don't think this should be too hard. But in an effort to not screw up before I start...who has some good advice for me??!!

Previously we've always picked anchorages with shore access for dog duty....but we'd like to have the option to not need to worry about dingying ashore to pee the dog.

Thanks in advance!! I look forward to your help!
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote