Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-10-2008, 16:14   #16

Boat: Westsail 32
In the mid-seventies we imported a Bloodhound from the UK to Brisbane, Australia. It still required 6 months quarantine. At that time you could import from the USA to Australia via Hawaii or the UK but the animal required 6 months quarantine in Hawaii or the UK followed by a further 6 months in Australia, and if coming from Hawaii I think it was a year in Australian quarantine. We thought we could import semen to use in AI, but it too was banned as a potential vector for Rabies. At one time before safe fumigation was possible, lumber used in crates arriving from N.A. had to be knot-free (pine beetles). Passenger aircraft interiors aren't sprayed any more on landing from overseas, but they used to be . Bottom line: there has been far too much irreparable and irreversible damage done to Australia's ecology (including English bloody sparrows of all things!) to risk arriving yachties innocently importing further disasters. If you're planning to land in Oz, don't bring pets --- they're not welcome; hence, the very high fees.

Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 05:00   #17

Holy cow, Batman! Talk about giving the messenger a bit of biffo!

All I did was pass on what the Quarantine bloke told me that I thought others should be aware of.
: )

And am so glad you did....

Sorry Mark if you took a bruise, not meant that way. Australia has been hammered for its quarantine status. (and its costs). Fact is it has a odd situation. It is an isolated Island with a serious attitude to pest management. The fact that it has been so F09878976ed up by introduced species has given it a hard attitude.

Its status is a market advantage. It also means that certain indigenous situations can for the moment survive. I can tell you that species survival is at a brink.

cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2008, 13:10   #18

Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
I don't know what the requirement would be for a cat or dog arriving on a yacht and wanting to be imported (rather than just quarantined to the yacht while visiting), but I suspect it would not be possible or else very difficult.
I have followed up on this and it turns out that it is actually pretty easy to import cats and dogs into both NZ and Australia on a yacht - before red mists form over some peoples' eyes and they leap into attack mode , note I am saying "import" not "visit" , animals on board visiting yachts are a hassle.

Basically the same applies as if by commercial carrier (ie the required vet certificates as to health, etc) and exposure along the route from origin determined by crew declarations and inspection of the yacht's log, crew passports, entry/clearance documentation, etc as to countries stopped off at.

For Australia all countries of origin except from NZ, result in a mandatory quarantine period (just as it does if arrived by commercial carrier) the length of which depends on the risk of the country of origin or exposure en route, and some countries are banned for importing animals from.

So if one wants to bring Fido or Tiddles to either of NZ or Australia by yacht as immigrants it seems that it is quite possible and not really any more onerous than if by commercial carrier. It turns out that both countries have clear procedures in place for doing so.

One thing for visiting yachts with a pooch on board I wondered about and looked at is that for NZ you need to be able to keep the pooch isolated from police and customs dogs when they are brought on board (the documentation actually says ones dog must be caged and muzzled). I assume Australia is likely to be much the same.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 05:33   #19

Boat: 34ft Ganley Shadow, bilge keels
take them dont bring them back

this is a major hassle for some folk who sail from darwin with pets, in the last few years there has been more than one dog who left the country to go to indonesia, and upon their return were left quarantined onboard for 6months, but that wasnt the end of it, one local dog then had to be flown to somewhere near sydney to spend another 6 months in quarantine. ok the owners could probably afford it and thought they loved their dog, but that first six months the dog was adjisted onto an abandoned fishing boat in the harbour and only got fed when fair minded people visited it, most of the time it was baying into the wind. i went past once and noticed it was actually locked in a box on the deck. later it was running amok on the deck barking at all and sundry who ventured past. threre are obviously serious animal rights issues here and the owners must have paid tens of thousands for the exercise.

there's a bloke a mile away who writes books about dog training, he's often seen bashing his dog and his boat stinks downwind. gee dogs were meant to chase rabbits and **** like that not be imprisoned at sea....

bruce in oz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: