Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 17:47   #1

Tackling the Fear Factor

I did it, I did it. What did I do? I motored the boat out of the slip, went sailing for a couple hours, put the sails away nicely, and motored it back into the slip. And, I barely hit anything along the way. I've had my Rawson 30 for about 3 months now and have had to wait around for my men sailing friends to come help poor little ole me learn how to sail. I usually end up letting them do all the work. This kind of makes it tough to learn.

So today, a couple of my girlfriends stopped by to say hi and I took them sailing. I had a few problems, like I couldn't get the traveler unstuck which meant the main stayed in one place the whole time, and I kept putting the lines on the winches backwards, and OMG backing the boat out of the slip created a bit of a cluster with the other boaters leaving at the same time, but all in all it was a very cool experience. I sailed my boat! I feel so empowered.

Now if I could just figure out how to change the fuel filters and re-route the ignition and kill switches and build a new ice box and put the windex up on the mast and how am I going to secure my surfboards… of course the list is too long to write. I've got more important things to do - like go celebrate surviving and not hurting anybody. It's time for a cold beer. Because you all have provided me with so much useful information and entertainment, I just thought I'd share that with you all.
seasidesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 18:40   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
That's excellent sis! Keep this up and Tania Aebi will soon be wondering who this woman is coming up from behind her.

Tania Aebi - Wikipedia

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 18:43   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I've got more important things to do - like go celebrate surviving and not hurting anybody.
Works for me. It all starts out so hard and after a few times it seems impossible not to be able to do it. Add a few dozen more and it loses the ability to celebrate and then you change fuel filters and it's a new party. Think of all the things you missed that were on purpose. You can't do it all in one day but you can do something.

If you let the things that frighten you most get to you, you suddenly know everything you can't do. No one needs to know all the things they can't. Take the victories where you find them and look for more.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 20:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
That's excellent sis! Keep this up and Tania Aebi will soon be wondering who this woman is coming up from behind her.

Tania Aebi - Wikipedia
Oh Yeah, I'll be way behind. My awesome Rawson is the slowest boat in the harbor. I get a thrill just knowing I'm able to still see the folks in front of me. But wait, you've got a boat?
Old 03-08-2008, 21:39   #5

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Good going seasidesis! We all have to start at the beginning, but some will tell you they were born experts...lol
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 22:26   #6

Boat: Mason 33 and a Nordic Folkboat (wooden)
Seasides --- CONGRATS!!!! I can definitely relate -- we are still learning, tackling bigger and bigger and bigger projects on our own boat, each one daunting, and then we do it, and ....... there is the next daunting thing. Stick with it and little by little, your confidence will grow til where you aren't so worried about trying something new b/c you know you can make it work out.

I smiled wistfully at your Chula Vista locale --- we moved up here to the bay area from there, staring our cruising life, but I sure miss CV. I was shocked to see how nice it had become. We were in the CYM-DV there on I-dock --- where are you?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:53   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Way to go, Sis! Thanks for sharing your victory! I think all of us can remember a first time like that--what a great feeling to get back in the slip with no disasters in our wakes!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:18   #8

Boat: warwick 44
well done, the more you do it the more conpetent you will be, keep going
boris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:32   #9

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
I kept putting the lines on the winches backwards
LOL . I kept doing that for the first few times out. Go out a few times all by yourself. Being independent is a good thing .

Paul
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 06:23   #10

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Congratulations....The wonderful thing about life is that our learning curve is solely determined by our application... The next time will be easier and so on.

Interesting destinations are all around us... I am quite sure you shall arrive at many

regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:05   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
SIS,

I too know that feeling of leaving the dock for the first time. Soon you will be doing it alone, and going farther, and farther. You claim your boat is the slowest in the harbor. That matter not, what matters is the smile on your face, and the freedom you will gain.......BEST WISHES

P.S.
She's a clean looking boat, and that counts for a lot. Post more pics!!!!!!!
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:27   #12

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Sis:

I still have fear on docking and returning to my slip. I'm learning but it can be downright scary to bring my boat back into the dock. Was just down in Imperial Beach for business and brought my board to keep on trying to learn to surf. If you can surf then sailing should be a breeze. Congrats. Do you know about Caulder's book? The best maintenance and repair book that I know of.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:54   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasidesis View Post

So today, a couple of my girlfriends stopped by to say hi and I took them sailing. I had a few problems, like I couldn't get the traveler unstuck which meant the main stayed in one place the whole time, and I kept putting the lines on the winches backwards, and OMG backing the boat out of the slip created a bit of a cluster with the other boaters leaving at the same time, but all in all it was a very cool experience. I sailed my boat! I feel so empowered.
Outstanding. Keep sailing and eventually you will find yourself doing things out of instinct rather than conscious thought. Kind like driving and texting at the same time - LOL.

I am curious - Was the traveller stuck or the main sheet? A stuck traveller is no big deal and on most daysails stays centered anyway. A stuck mainsheet could be a problem...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 23:43   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
=
I am curious - Was the traveller stuck or the main sheet? A stuck traveller is no big deal and on most daysails stays centered anyway. A stuck mainsheet could be a problem...
The traveller was stuck. It's as old as the boat, but the main seemed to be just right. I guess, the guys I've been sailing with move traveller around a lot which made me think I should be experimenting too. Much safer to keep it secured tightly in the center.

I thought you all might get a kick out of my adventure. Thanks for all the support.

I tell you, the adrenaline was pumping for most of the day. A couple times, I really had to think long and hard about what to do. Good thing the South Bay is so forgiving (at high tide). Except for the marina area, there was plenty of room to move around without having to deal with other boats. I even took the opportunity to play around with what is sometimes referred to as reverse, but I think it is more like the sideways slide.

I can't wait to get back out there. And don't worry, I've read many of the singlehanding threads. So, when I do go out alone, I promise I'll be hooked in.
Old 04-08-2008, 23:52   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Thanks for the link. I have read her book Maiden Voyage and look forward to reading her newer book Ive been around (2005).