Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2018, 08:44   #16

Boat: Lagoon 41 S2
Re: Swollen feet/ankles on board

I have the same problem on passages of several days, so do some of our guests.
Originally we thought it was from too much sun on our feet but sun block and shade didn't cure it. My doctor said it's nothing to worry about. Probably caused by being in the sitting position for so many hours a day. My helm seat exasperates it because there is no foot rest so my feet dangle. I found that if I get off my ass and walk around occasionally and elevate my feet when possible the swelling is minimized. (I still use the sun block).
Library70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:44   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

does the edema make a pit remaining in the area after you push in on the skin? try it. if it does, call md and have cardiac workup done.
if edema is not pitting, have blood testing done--include all blood chemistries. dehydration causes electrolite imbalances which also can cause an edema, i have found. so can sitting 90 degree angle knees and hips. vascular occlusions from thromboses as well as essential crimping of veins in sitting positions not intended for extended times in human bodies. the more fit one is, the more this is able to occur. remember lou ferigno. musculature and fail arteries yielded issues corrected by an aortofemoral bypass grafting so he could walk. extremes happen. \ as we cannot see that which is inside skin, please take him to an md for health check, complete.
edema is a symptom of issues unable to be seen by eyes.
btw, we temperate zone dwellers in tropics suffer heat issues which include edema and require fluids and SALT to correct. limiting salt or giving salt both are bad ideas unless you know the reason behind the symptom then treat accordingly..
i have watched as many a gringo grew increasingly heat prostrate yet refused to drink or seek shade. they also refuse to wear cotton, which allows air thru the weave as opposed to polys and others which do not. evaporation of sweat from cotton is cooling. evaporation of sweat leaves the salt you just sweated out. you need the ingestion of salt in hot climates.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:10   #18

Boat: Colegate 26

Did he go barefoot during that time? I used to go in sock feet while working on yachts and my feet would ache and swell a bit, and I'm a young guy. A couple years ago I bought some canvas Crocs and it's made a huge difference for me.

If you're not used to walking barefoot on hard surfaces it can have a serious impact.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:49   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

I am not a Doctor, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.
I have the same issues. General Term is Edema. There are lots of things that can cause it.
I repeat advice already given here several times.
Go see a Doctor ASAP.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:05   #20

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

I am not a doctor either. One doctor talked about DVT (deep vein thrombosis... a clot deep in the vein) ... that is usually accompanied by pain and local area feels hot. There are physical tests like feeling for the artery down at the foot. But that is why past the realm of medical advice for the lay person.

Seek advice when u get home from a good doctor. Many people as they age get problems with the balance between lungs and heart. COPD is one of many powerful issues that arises. Congestive onset pulmonary disease can lead to swelling in the extremities. Salt imbalances, blood pressure issues , diabetic issues... my goodness it is a frightening list.

Being on a boat limits physical activity. U know we have the three systems to move fluids. Arterial to move oxygenated blood. Venous to move deoxygenated blood. Lymphatic system to move lymph fluid ( clear). When things are healthy the three systems stay in balance. But goof up the lungs a little bit... or heart functions less optimally... or not proper movement for muscles to squeeze that lymph fluid back up to get dumped out... too much salt which causes body to dump fluid into tissue to create a better osmotic balance... now u can see why the services of a doctor are needed.

The thing is this... it could be minor thing... it could be a tell tale of more serious underlying issues previously unknownst to you or ignored by him and unspoken. Life is sacred. Check it out immediately and follow advice of M.D. This problem has plagued humans for millenniums. It is treatable. Left untreated and ignored can have dire consequences in some situations. Only a physician can sort out what situation your husband is currently facing. It is wonderful that u r concerned and involved. Sometimes us old guys need to get a swift kick in the keester from the MRS to get ourselves to the doctor. Please let us know what u find out.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:40   #21

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

My late father spent his life as a master mariner--from the last of the sailing ships to his last steamship berth in the seventies. he always swore by his skipping rope. He was the skipper so to speak.

I would immediately have a full check-up. Maybe a diuretic will help--but only a proper examination will determine. Too much exercise is hardly ever enough though--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 13:18   #22

Boat: Bavaria 47 Ocean CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
For heaven's sake, make him go to a doctor. This is not a sailing issue, it's a medical issue and potentially a serious one. It had nothing to do with where you were sailing or even that you were sailing at all, it's related to a change in his activity level profile.
common sense
dougieji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 13:58   #23

Boat: Seaward 22

my wife gets this when we are in the tropics. if on a land base vacation, it goes away over night in the a/c. on boat vacations it reduces over night, but never completely. she has a clean bill of health from our doc. she's been this way her whole life.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 14:04   #24

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

In the Army there is a thing called tank commander's legs. It can be so bad that if you take your boots off you may not get them on again due to the swelling. Assuming that there are not other underlying conditions, it is caused by standing a lot (A LOT) with no activity. Keep in mind that there are other medical conditions that can cause this and if you have any questions you should get checked out. Good luck!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 14:34   #25

Boat: Various

Definitely get to a doctor. Also don't sit with feet not on floor. Did he experience other symptoms like shortness of breath?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 16:21   #26

Boat: Hunter 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadineon31 View Post
Thanks boatman61. I think standing a lot on the boat and lack of walking exercise but coffee is doubtful as he doesn't drink lots of coffee, so I will look into other diuretics
Exactly the same issue. I was drinking about 1 gallon per day of water and a little canned food and no coffee and very little sleep because of heavy seas. When I noticed the fat feet I almost freaked out. Started drinking 2 gallons of water per day and and a pot of coffee and de-salting the canned food and raising my feet while sitting at the helm. The swelling went down after about five days. Pictures of the fat feet are too gross to share. Went to see Doc two weeks later when in port. No diabetes. Root cause unknown.
Although I do not have a medical degree, I am almost certain red wine and steaks cures this condition but for some reason my wife won't believe me.
Cheers.
Ahmet Erkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 16:42   #27

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

hi Nadineon31

Yes see a doctor. DVT weak valve in the hart over weight.....are all possible. also, if the diet isn't up to par, the veins in the legs can weaken. there are ...for lac of a better word, vhevk calves in the veins of the lower legs. they can get weak and let the blood fall back betwixt hart beats. Hence the blood ends up pooling in the feet and ankles. in this case you'll need to correct your diet. get more calcium, magnesium, zinc and manganese. these are the main building blocks of connective tissue. there are other vitamins and amino acids needed for the body to process these minerals, like D, B 6 and 12, niacin, riboflavin, among other flavinoids. exorcize of some sort is a necessity to maintain all health. if the body ain't movin' the fluids ain't movin and the body starts to die.

Your doctor may prescribe some pharmaceuticals, take them if that is you'r thing. I'd suggest you check the side effects tho. Heck, the problem mentioned above can be caused by side effects of some pharmaceuticals.

good luck
Lance
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 17:10   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

isometric and isotonic exercises have always been helpful in interminable sitting situations, such as watch, nursing boards, other lovelinesses.. they are easy and donot keelye
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote