I cruise part-time and use FB onboard only 1 0.71%
I cruise part-time and use FB on land only 12 8.57%
I cruise part-time, and use FB both onboard and on land 39 27.86%
I cruise part-time, and never use FB 55 39.29%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2012, 09:09   #76

Boat: Grampian 26
Re: Survey: Do You Use Facebook ?

social media is no different then you doing a dumba$$ thing and your friends and family hear it from someone who saw, who told, who is whatever......
If you do it and post it first your informing them, if you get caught and they posted, your busted.
Like everything in our life, moderation and integrity will and should always prevail.
anything less is just...

Old 02-03-2012, 09:46   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have it but dont go there much. I've actually had to "unfriend" some friends on facebook because they are so prolific on there they end up dominating my front page/wall...! I'm not sure I really get the point of it... unless you have something to promote...

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:47   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
I now not only use my own account, but I now run an account for my employer as well. I think our employees see messages faster when I post there than when I send out mass emails.
Thats because they are all surfing the web instead of working!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 16:09   #79

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Hi there,

If you put something inspiring in your quiz, please copy and paste it here as well
Last Labor Day was back visiting in Chicago where I grew up in the ghetto on the South Side. Visited 2 men whom have been friends with since grammar school. Facebook is their NUMBER 1 resource that they mine for homes to burglar and when. They both esp love weddings, funerals, anniv. parties, and vacations that people post on Facebook. Not like they don't get caught as one has 84 and the other 86 CONVICTIONS for Burglary. Currently in jail but will be out soon again in few weeks. (overcrowding) They will laugh when they tell you how many thousands of homes they have gotten away with robbing with the info people post on Facebook.
Do I have FB! No Way! Private info that could put your home or family or kids or pets @ risk is crazy to allow the world access to it.
Also is mined by identity theft criminals. They Love FB and the info they can publicly find to take over your checking accounts or credit cards.
Talk to an FBI agent about posting on it sometime! No way for their kids!
Talk to an CIA agent about posting! No Way do they let their kids post!
(our local Station Chief lives 3 doors from me and his daughter has been going with my son for over 4 yrs-have some personal exp with this one)
While there is both good and bad about FB, it is your resposiblilty as a parent to decide what is best for your kids at their younger ages and hope that the ideals and principles "take". A decision has to be made if the good outweighs the bad or vice versa. There is no correct answer for everyone same as not all cruisers will like Mono's versus Cat's. Merely realize that there are 2 sides to the coin as all cruising is not just vacation time as there is a lot of work and repair time also involved. IMHO
John
Old 02-03-2012, 16:53   #80

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

Johnny, that came across more preachy and inspiring, but ... as you say IMHO.
Old 05-03-2012, 00:46   #81
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I've actually had to "unfriend" some friends on facebook because they are so prolific on there they end up dominating my front page/wall...!
A simple solution to this is to click on the arrow next to your friends name, and select which updates you see from them... That way you don't get their prolific updates, but you can go and take a long when you hear they've had a baby or whatever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtmops View Post
if your already finished, congrats.
I finished that module - got one more to do this summer, then I should have my masters degree in online education - and will hopefully be able to utilise it by teaching online whilst we head off on the boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
I now not only use my own account, but I now run an account for my employer as well. I think our employees see messages faster when I post there than when I send out mass emails.
My successor as Commodore at our Beach Cat Sailing Club moved from using email (Yahoo Groups) to Facebook for communication. I was wary at first, but she was right - it is waaay more interactive, pictures get commented on enthusiastically, messages get responded to. It is the 'younger' sailors who participate more online anyway... and as for the 'older' sailors who don't like FB (Yes, there does seem to be a distinct age gap there), they can subscribe to receive notifications via email. That said, it seems that several 'older' members have simply become more active on Facebook.

Interesting move... and successful it would seem.

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 00:52   #82

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Our yacht club now has a FB group and it's getting more and more use. As mentioned above it is much more interactive than email or our website.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:06   #83

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cruiser View Post
They will laugh when they tell you how many thousands of homes they have gotten away with robbing with the info people post on Facebook.
How does that work, how do they see the info?? Do they only rob homes of facebook friends?

It's easy to control what the world sees on facebook, everything or nothing.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:07   #84
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
How does that work, how do they see the info?? Do they only rob homes of facebook friends?

It's easy to control what the world sees on facebook, everything or nothing.
You'd think so, but I reckon most people don't actually have their walls set to private... even tho it's simple to do.

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:43   #85

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Re: Survey: Do you use Facebook ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Facebook is the scourge of society!

My hubby thinks I'm nuts, but I have always felt a distinct dislike, mistrust, even animus toward FB. Way too " On the grid" for me. I believe FB to be the biggest weapon against freedom and privacy! If Facebook were to blow up and crash, all info lost, the program in shreds, I'd be dancin in the street.

But I do have a blog :-), try to understand that logic and your head may explode, hey, I never claimed to be normal.
Signing off, with tin foil on me head
I felt the way you do for years. But recently, being south of the border, I capitulated to stay in closer touch with family and friends. Personally, I welcome our new Overlord.

Yahoo! Video Detail for Facebook CIA Project: The Onion News Network
Old 05-03-2012, 09:50   #86

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

I use facebook...but prudently....no address...no birthdate...anything I would not want published all over town...is private messaged.....I do know this..as an attorney, probation officers keep a sharp eye on Facebook and My Space to keep tabs on their probationers...so it works both ways...
Old 05-03-2012, 11:41   #87

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

You left out one option in your poll: FB scares me so I don't use it. I used to work in the IT industry and that much personal info in a public place is disconcerting (don't kid yourself about "privacy policies").

Google (the future "evil" empire) really worries me, I plan to delete my Gmail and other accounts soon. Way too much consolidation of personal info going on there.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:23   #88

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

Hiya SS, Personally I tried it and found it intrusive though I can understand why some people do use it and good luck to them if that's what floats their boat,I'd rather go to the pub for a bit of craic and some live music. But as another poster wrote some of the things that are written are quite frankly a bit childish.
One of the reasons that I 'sailed off into the sunset' like may others was, I suppose escapism and I'm loving every moment of it.
Good Luck with your survey.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:43   #89

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

I ticked "cruise part time and never use facebook", however that may change when we start to cruise more seriously (soon). My wife likes FB but I can't stand the amount of drivel posted by the young ones. I also don't want to be known as "the old creep" that is always replying to the young girls and there are plenty of old creeps. However, I can see that if I limit my friends (that hasn't been a problem on land) to my real friends and use it to post only significant information, it could be a very useful way to maintain regular contact with people who are a long way distant from me.
Old 05-03-2012, 14:21   #90

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

If you really want to see how much info is readily available about you, and your family, on-line just visit a site like Spokeo People Search | White Pages | Find People.

Tags
survey

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: