I cruise part-time and use FB onboard only 1 0.71%
I cruise part-time and use FB on land only 12 8.57%
I cruise part-time, and use FB both onboard and on land 39 27.86%
I cruise part-time, and never use FB 55 39.29%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 18:55   #61

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
I agree there can be security issues with kids and Facebook and you have to be careful what you post...however the fact that I can communicate with friends all over the world easily for free will keep me on FB
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 19:18   #62

Boat: Top Hat Mk 2 25 foot
Re: Survey: Do You Use Facebook ?

I have a facebook page but rarely use it. I am not interested in reading when somone brushes their teeth.

Was horrified when a friend posted a picture of me in a swimsuit on their page without asking my permission.

Thankfully I was wearing the swimsuit and not my birthday suit.

There is really nothing to stop other people publishing whatever they like about you.
And that is what I consider putting anything on the net to be.
Publishing. And once it is out there, you can't get it back.
Aussie Sealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 21:35   #63

Boat: 1974 islander 44
Sounds like I need to friend request aussie's friend that publishes bikini pictures
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 22:08   #64

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Survey: Do you use Facebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post

I was gutted to read this one response though:
Quote:
It is an excellent method to keep in contact with my family when I am overseas. It was the only way my brother had of notifying me of the death of my parents while I was in Afghanistan.
Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Because facebook users aren't intelligent enough to use the numerous free email accounts available?
Old 12-10-2011, 22:12   #65

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Survey: Do you use Facebook ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Facebook is the scourge of society!

My hubby thinks I'm nuts, but I have always felt a distinct dislike, mistrust, even animus toward FB. Way too " On the grid" for me. I believe FB to be the biggest weapon against freedom and privacy!
You are correct and I agree
People have and are being sacked becuse they are stupid enough to post what they are doing while "sick" or post about how they feel about their boss etc

Proof that some really stupid people use facebook
Old 13-10-2011, 03:57   #66

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I think FB is becoming the next anchors/guns/etc. thread for CF. It seems to stir some strong emotions. Personally, I use it all the time and don't worry much about the privacy issue. There are no secrets anymore so why worry ... life's too short. Besides, you can discuss things on FB that would get you booted here and I enjoy that. For example, the other day Zee Hag and I had a friendly but heated discussion about a current event that would have been quickly shut down here.

It's all good. I like Twitter too.
Old 13-10-2011, 04:15   #67
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post

It's all good. I like Twitter too.
Got up, had coffee. Anyone fancy lunch at the usual place? What's the best anchor? Please be my friend..

Where am I? is this twitter, facebook or CF????

It's all so terribly confusing.....
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 04:25   #68

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Got up, had coffee. Anyone fancy lunch at the usual place? What's the best anchor? Please be my friend..

Where am I? is this twitter, facebook or CF????

It's all so terribly confusing.....
As someone famous once said ... "the only thing consistent in life is change."

Now, who moved my cheese ...AGAIN!
Old 14-10-2011, 16:55   #69

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Doodles! That's one of my top favorite books ever!
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 17:53   #70
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

spent over an hour chattting with a cousin i dont ever see--met her once in my youth--we are same age--- would not have been able to do that without fazepoo.....she and i share the same old ones and learned to sail on same sailboat, eleanor, out of hudson ny.....so as much as we bash the social whatchamakallitz, there is a good reason for them. i found more cousins i never met but my son has met.....just because i have a fb account or few.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2011, 17:37   #71

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Nope. I spend enough time online with forums like this. Friends will email or call if they want to communicate.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:34   #72

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

I do not have my own FB account and may not ever open one. (My late father was actually proud of the fact that he never touched a computer, although I suspect he did not realize that radios, televisions, and many other common devices now are controlled by computers.) My wife started one several years ago in response to a Friend request from one of her former coworkers so I occasionally (once a month or so) browse around her account just to see what is there. Our 30 year old son uses his all the time and constantly tells us to check his wall to see what is going on in his life since he rarely answers our e-mails or telephone calls.

I do have a LinkedIn account at wife's request but see that as the "professional" version of FB. It hasn't done much for me yet except link me to a cruiser we met several years ago in Mexico.

I do not feel that FB poses an undue security risk IF YOU ARE AWARE OF THE ISSUES! You can adjust your security settings as desired to protect you from most intruders.

LATE ENTRY: I just filled out Kate's on-line survey.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:38   #73

Boat: Bermuda 40, Hinckley, 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Hi there,

I am currently studying for a Masters degree in Online Education. I am currently preparing my dissertation for the main module, and my research is to determine whether social networking can realistically be used to facilitate groups of cruising kids studying together in informal online groups.... I have heard of families using radio for collaboration...
As a somewhat recent fb user, I am going to take the position it has 'no value’ as an online educational tool. I became a fb user when my son moved away from home & I thought it would be a good way for his sister & him to stay in touch. She is ten years younger (I feel compelled to say they share the same father ), but it has not worked out that way.

Seems, I am the one that is on it, NOT his sister & Nicholas is constantly telling me I commit FB ‘ abuse’. I write paragraphs on his WALL for he & his nearest & dearest closest 500 friends. Not to mention I have not figured out how you use fb icons, so ran into the same problem on fb, as here, ‘ my OWN son, didn’t get my humor. !

I don’t see the value of ‘ hi, I am in France.’ Personally, I like a bit more detailed information. As the mother, do I really need to see those pics of my son out on the town with the ‘ boys’. No, I don’t think we parents need to know everything our children are doing. !

Nicholas’s own thoughts on fb is that he ‘ doesn’t like it’, but it is the only means to‘ ‘ ‘make’ plans with friends. He does not have a cell phone (mother’s influence) Secondly, his upbringing was a ‘ tad’ bit unconventional, so he is not going to take any chances and NOT do what his peers are doing.

The value of Fb as an educational tool extends to the social milieu & serves as a model to study the ethics of business practices. My humble opinion is that ‘ the wall street protest’ might have achieved something had they called upon their cohorts, to ‘ shutdown’ their FB. At least for a day.

To have singled out multinational companies/banks & their capitalist crimes; damn, ‘ marky’ boy has hardly sent the message that ‘ his generation is going move in a new direction & adopt ethical, integrity based, cost/benefit analysis inclusive of the human factor & still make a profit.' That would be the only educational value of using FB & the concept of education in the same sentence.

If you are looking for a methodology & tool to use for education as it relates to cruising kids; I was introduced to Jack Whiteheads, ‘ Action Research, ’A UK educator & expert on Action Research; when I was working on a Masters. It turned out I was already applying his methods, so I got really good marks on my research…….

His practices can be utilized in All spheres of life, professional training, business practices and so on. “ google – action research.

if your already finished, congrats.
Yachtmops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:43   #74

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Nope and never will! The wife had it for two days when security problems arise'd. So cut it off and op'd out.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:18   #75

Boat: 1982 Oday 34

I now not only use my own account, but I now run an account for my employer as well. I think our employees see messages faster when I post there than when I send out mass emails.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey