I cruise part-time and use FB on land only 12 8.57%
I cruise part-time, and use FB both onboard and on land 39 27.86%
I cruise part-time, and never use FB 55 39.29%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-08-2011, 03:29   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Survey: Do You Use Facebook ?

Originally Posted by Tori View Post
I love Facebook and use it daily. My boat has her own FB page! Love forums too lol! Going to go do the survey now
By the way Zeehag and Skipmac who are you on Facebook I would love to be friends with you
Wish I knew how to link my boats Facebook page to here from my phone lol
Did you know that CF has a FB page? If you just such for Cruisers' Forum it should come up. You can certainly post a link to your boat's site on there.

If you want a link from here, best best is to go into UserCP (Control Panel) up top, and edit your signature. Type the name of your boat, hit the hyperlink button and paste the URL. Hope this helps

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 03:37   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is a response I have had numerous times, in various words:
Love connecting with people, hate getting 50 updates a day from one person alone
All you have to do is hit the x on just one of their posts and you can hide them! No more annoying updates.... you can simply visit their page when you want to see what flavour ice-cream they had today!!

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 04:52   #48

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

It seems very anti FB on here, don't log on then. Most of the people I met cruising were on FB, great way to keep up with boats you meet even if it's only a few posts a year, so and so is back in South Africa, blah finally went through Panama etc. You would loose touch otherwise. Also various local pages which are handy for getting up to date info before you arrive somewhere.

Trinidad Cruisers | Facebook

Grenada Cruisers | Facebook

FB is definitely alive and well in cruising circles.
conachair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 05:10   #49

Boat: Cal 29

Originally Posted by Svsilvergirl View Post
Love facebook , sheesh , if ya got kids ( we have 5 ) , ya have to , just to stay in touch . Great place to post pictures for friends and grandma to follow along while we are out on the boat . I too have found and rekindled old friendships with people I had lost touch with . If you take the time to configure the privacy settings the way you like them , I just don't understand the worry about privacy.........
Purely as a friendly FYI, CNN is reporting this morning on "massive" changes to FB privacy policies.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 14:41   #50

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987

Something actual and potential Facebookers may find interesting on the subject of "How Vulnerable Are Your Facebook Friends to Attacks?": and the referenced guide to facebook security at
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:21   #51

Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13

Well I certainly ain'ts got no problems with FB... in fact I rather likes it. I gits to "like" whom I cares to hear from and dat is just fine wit me.

With but one click one can check out a favorite sports writer's most recent column. No need to troll any on-line newspapers anymore...

I suppose that getting use to FB is kind of like the message on one of many t-shirts sold throughout the numorous tourist shops here in Key West... "It's Only Kinky the First Time Around", whatever that is suppose to mean.

I wasn't always a proponent of FB but I've come around in my thinking at least insofar as FB is concerned.
S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:51   #52

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,signet20,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

great for keeping in touch with my 250 friends in 40 different countries
latest project
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:20   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate

ANN HERE, not Jim:
I shall answer the survey in a moment, but first want to comment. I agree with the others who suggest a specific blog for the job you propose.
In addition to the loss of privacy issues, I think there are two HUGE problems with FB: 1) it takes time away from personal, face to face or ear to ear interaction while giving what is only the illusion of meaningful personal interaction. The latter I think is a serious problem in a culture already not given to accepting responsibility for one's actions. Just my opinion, of course...

Ann Cate, s/v Insatiable II, lying Lake Macquarie, NSW, Oz
Jim and Ann
s/v Insatiable back in MBTBC marina, waiting for next eye jobs to be done
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:21   #54

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

I subscribe to several FB groups for boating interests. I especially like BARR for anchoring rights.
My soul is full of longing for the secret of the sea,
and the heart of the great ocean sends a thrilling pulse through me.
—Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 15:41   #55

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
My opinion is that face book expands on "face to face" time. Well, in a virtual way.

Before FB living away from home meant not being a participant in the daily life of family and/or people that you care for. Now I can see my sister is enjoying a day at the beach, a friend has a new grand daughter, another friend is fighting cancer , another prepping for a cruise, a child going off to college etc. I feel more connected to their lives! Not less! I don't exclude phone calls or emails because there is now FB. It is used as an addition for making contact.

As for my family and friends that do live nearby? LOL we use it to plan events where we actually do spend time in each others company. It has made it so I spend more face time with people. Why? Because they know I'm sitting home doing nothing when they see me posting on FB! Kinda of hard to make the argument that your too busy to accept their invitation!

I'll post your survey on some of my younger FB friends pages. How ever I don't know any young cruisers. So I will post to the cruisers that I do know to maybe pass it along.
Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness. - Eckhart Tolle
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 18:21   #56

Boat: Hunter 450
You are right about it being weird when you use FB he first time... or for me the first many times. I think I don't like it because I don't understand how to use and I feel really bad about not friending all who ask. Do people know you are ignoring the requests? I have been cruising for 4 yrs live now on a dock & visit with dock people or cruisers and I panic at the idea of all these people in my stuff. So I don't look often and never write on my wall (?) I am scared of FB.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:36   #57

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
Sailor G no reason to be scared of FB. People do not know you ignore their friend requests but know you have not accepted them. No biggie..I only accept friends I personally know or have established a relationship with elsewhere such as this forum. You can control the privacy of posts and who sees what or you can just post fun updates and no intimate details about your life. It is a good way to interact daily with friends and family far away and to associate with people of similar interests.
Joe & Tori
"Knot Looking Back" 1977 S2 8.0
Clara , Ducky, Miranda and Nalla the Critters
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:43   #58

Boat: San Juan 28

My policy with FB is to assumed that anything I put on there, even if I make it private or restrict access, is available to the public.

FB has had enough security bugs and unannounced privacy policy changes that have exposed private information that I just assume the worst now.
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:20   #59

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

I'm not concerned with privacy issues as I can set it for a secure connection. Also, as to what I share on facebook, rule of thumb: if I wouldn't blurt it out in church, my grandmas home, or in front of the school principal, it wouldn't be a good thing to proclaim on a web site, facebook or other. (some common sense that my Ma passed on to us kids, well before internet. I just re-applied it.)
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:08   #60

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

We have had a couple of daughters of friends of ours who have had very bad experiences from their Facebook activities. One in particular experienced on line bullying and stalking which escalated to physical stalking around her home and at school. The issue only resolved itself after the father, when, getting no help from the authorities, he took matters into his own hands. The situation is now resolved, I suspect, permanently.
Kids do need social outlets and connnections but they are very naive about security and what a dangerous place the world is, particularly if they are living aboard and lack parental control and guidance. Kids today are very bright technologically and don't seem to have much of a problem circumventing filters set for them by their parents as the two girls mentioned above. I'm sure glad I'm not bringing my kids up in todays world... my kids are living through the issue with my grandchildren. Capt Phil

Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: