Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 16:34   #61
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
as long as the storm isnt a hurrycame i am so far good to go ----lol---the t-booomers pack a whollop if 50-80 mph winds--is alll goood--we get 90+ mph winds on our moorings in san diego on many occasions--is alll good...i think that might just get my formosa going at about 5 knots..lol....as long as sail is reduced PRIOR to the onset of the storm , has been good so far----but i would rather spend a storm in a full keel/attached rudder design than a fin/spade design--lol the extra weight is goood for something......i am getting a bit old for balls to the wall sailing adventures lol
oh--i have sailed in 30 ft rollers and i have sailed in 8-10 ft washing machine seas--i will take the 30 ft rollers anyday--much easier to handle.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 17:52   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
as long as the storm isnt a hurrycame i am so far good to go ----lol---the t-booomers pack a whollop if 50-80 mph winds--is alll goood--we get 90+ mph winds on our moorings in san diego on many occasions--is alll good...i think that might just get my formosa going at about 5 knots..lol....as long as sail is reduced PRIOR to the onset of the storm , has been good so far----but i would rather spend a storm in a full keel/attached rudder design than a fin/spade design--lol the extra weight is goood for something......i am getting a bit old for balls to the wall sailing adventures lol
oh--i have sailed in 30 ft rollers and i have sailed in 8-10 ft washing machine seas--i will take the 30 ft rollers anyday--much easier to handle.
LOL... I'll second that Zeehag... just don't do the Biscay in a SE 60kts+ tho'... thats commercial washing machine stuff.... 25/30ft and the wind trying to knock you over every time you rotate to the top...lmao

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 09:00   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan kennedy View Post
I enjoyed Pat Henry's book and felt it was an interesting story about how SHE handled a sailing life. It was her story, about her life, the good and the bad.
I read this book too. Didn't care for it. The tone was wrong for me - I got the impression of an upper-middle-class professional who set out expecting certain things, and when the world turned out to be otherwise, felt let down instead of accepting the reality on its own terms. Not to mention, for a solo woman, some of her behavior was very poorly thought out.
But your assessment is still the best way to read it - after all, she never did claim it as a how-to! I find I can often learn something even from books I don't like much.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 09:07   #64

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
high winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LOL... I'll second that Zeehag... just don't do the Biscay in a SE 60kts+ tho'... thats commercial washing machine stuff.... 25/30ft and the wind trying to knock you over every time you rotate to the top...lmao
Agree with you whole hearted read our blog and see what we got in 2005 after we had bought our current boat and were returning from the med.
www.theguerns.blogspot.com
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2010, 10:24   #65

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan kennedy View Post
I enjoyed Pat Henry's book and felt it was an interesting story about how SHE handled a sailing life. It was her story, about her life, the good and the bad.

She did have money issues, hell most cruisers do. Some writers use humour (Herb Payson for example) some writers never address it.

She deals very deeply about family, about relationships, about responsibilites, about guilt. But she writes about how SHE handled it- it's not a self-help book. It's not a book about how to circumnavigate, its about how she did it.

You don't have to like how she did it, you don't have to admire her life, but (I think) she deserves a hell of a lot of credit for what she did. Well done Pat Henry.

sue.
I enjoyed her book very much, and I admire her courage. I was bothered, however, by her consistent reliance on the charity of others.
Old 01-06-2010, 15:47   #66

Boat: Jeanneua 36
reef early;have agood book;pick the time and area tosail;dont have a time limit(changable scedule)enjoy'''''''''''''
bigpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 15:53   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpuff View Post
reef early;have agood book;pick the time and area tosail;dont have a time limit(changable scedule)enjoy'''''''''''''

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote