Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2010, 13:05   #16

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
I would think there is some jealousy hidden from itself and cloaked as "concern". Just as sometimes happens when you want to lose weight and everyone says what a great idea and when you report the loss of a pound they tell you sweetly that you have to be careful not to get too thin-after a pound.... Don´t let it sway your motivation.In my family they say about me that you can put me in a jungle and I will get out of it soemhow ,but they tell it as if it was their achievement. I usually counter with yes but don't wait for me ..I never turn up in the expected spot ...
High Heels I have read many of your posts and you seem to be well into this. Don´t let them spoil it.
Old 20-12-2010, 13:07   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
Well, a family member that I am very close to has been talking about our cruising plans behind my back, and I find out that a close friend of both of ours has been also agreeing that I am being 'ridiculous'. They are seemingly blaming my husband for the fact I was working on one of our boat's bottoms last winter/spring mostly on my own (I am self employed at the moment and working very little) and that this is not 'woman's work'.
People are an opinionated lot. If people need gossip to fill their lives they probably aren't doing much that's interesting with it.

As for "womens work" ... why anyone feels the need to stick to illogical and unproductive belief systems is beyond me ... but it happens.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 13:26   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Yep

When I saw the title to this thread, I thought to myself "Oh, somebody is going through what we are with my our family". Then I saw who the poster was .

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 13:38   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Let it wash over you and run down the scuppers where it belongs...
On many occasions I've put things off when friends/family laid the guilt trip on me... "How can you go.. we'll miss you"... "You've got to be nuts its dangeous out there... you can barely look after youself on land how'll you manage out there..".... "Your just so Selfish".... "Your wasting your life..."
Funny how their perspectives change and how swiftly they'll go... given half the chance....
Go girl... GO....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 13:38   #20

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
Hey, why are you making her do all the bottom work??!!??
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 13:43   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
rofl... gurl-- geaux-- take em sailing then send spot messages while you ere gone so they can folow ye.... let them visit when you are in a port they can easily visit.... count them into your trip and ignore the sniping. it will cease eventually when folks see how happy the two if ye are. dont send storm shots..LOL--until after the beauty shots..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 15:28   #22

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Zeehag says let them visit , but before that, read the threads about fat people on board !

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 15:35   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
oh yes--let em visit but make sure the joyer lift works lol, or have crane installed midships for doggies and visitors and outboard engines for the dink......LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 20:06   #24

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
IT'S YOUR LIFE, LIVE IT THE WAY YOU WANT...

When you start sending pics home and to friends, you'll be hearing about how lucky you are, and the CAN I COME VISIT..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 04:56   #25

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Thank you all! I needed to hear all of those words right now.

The saddest, yet most incredible, commentary of all is the fact that I am starting to realize how much I have lived Life in the past to make others comfortable with my behavior. Up until five years ago when I made a major career change to Bodywork and Therapeutic Massage nothing I did caused any uproar...even in my teenage years...Enough of That Already!

All of your comments are insightful, and yes, I believe you all are correct in your assessments. That link Rebel Heart gives me a new perspective that others 'have been there/done that' - so Thanks for sharing that.

I just keep remembering how passionate I was about racing in college, and the Offshore Team that I participated with. I started out in the marine industry when I graduated from college both teaching and working for a now major retailer in Annapolis. I am sorry that I didn't stay that path now. I remember just how happy I was, and how passionate I was about what I did.

I am so psyched to be back after twenty years on the water.

I am grateful for this new community that I have only just begun to get to know.
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 05:10   #26
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I am not even going to read the responses, but I do have a question for you. Are you living your life for you & yours, or others?..........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 05:19   #27

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Heels View Post
Thank you all! I needed to hear all of those words right now.

The saddest, yet most incredible, commentary of all is the fact that I am starting to realize how much I have lived Life in the past to make others comfortable with my behavior. Up until five years ago when I made a major career change to Bodywork and Therapeutic Massage nothing I did caused any uproar...even in my teenage years...Enough of That Already!

Imagine that is just what I wrote in my response immediately preceeding yours. I know why I have in the past, and I now know why I am no longer going to. It has only taken forty years to figure it out.
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 05:35   #28
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I just had to jump to my answer, and good on you young lady for coming to the realization we have one llife, and it needs to be lived.......BEST WISHES in your voyages.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 06:04   #29

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
We won't be ready to go for another few years yet, other than local cruising on the Chessie..but we get the same things..The folks who think it is cool for me to cruise around on a motorcycle think I am nuts for wanting to run away from kith and kin...they don't get it, but if they can catch us inport somewhere, we'll show 'em...

Family taking about it is one thing...a "friend" talking behind my back...maybe not in your situation, but In my life, would be a "friend" finding themselves ignored..I find that having folks like that around me is rough on the Karma..I just let 'em drift away.
Old 21-12-2010, 06:36   #30

Boat: Leopard 40
Some people just can't think out of the box. Eventhough it is very sad that your family and some of your friends can't be supportive when you want them to be you have your husband and working though this will bring you closer.

If you haven't read it yet I recommend you read An Embarrassment of Mangos. Part of the book deals with the reactions they got when they announced that they were going to take off cruising.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote