Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 18:02   #46

Boat: morgan OI 41', beneteau oceanis 44CC, Peterson cutter 46'
Re: solo sailing... A good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I don't see any fundamental differences between a male and a female sailor, solo or otherwise - on some things a female is likely to have to substitute brute force and ignorance for some smarts - but that not always a disadvantage! But even that not neccessarily so, male sailors come in all shapes and sizes (and ages!) of physical ability - same as females.

The legalities? my reading is that going solo is not illegal. The consequences could become legal trouble - but in my book that is two very different things. Like onshore, if a fella in a Wig don't say you are guilty then you are not. and the best defence against that is not being there. 2 ways of doing that, the first is not to do anything that might go wrong - the second is not to get your name attached to anything that might warrant you being there .

The choosing a yacht and affording to buy and travel in it is the far bigger challenge. On that I can only echo the suggestion to buy the smallest and cheapest you are comfortable with (to both sail offshore and live on - IMO equally important, albeit for differing reasons). Will involve compromises - but that is boats for ya. They all require those......even those 50 foot plus and costing $500k.

IMO having money in the kitty is worth "sacrificing" a few nice to haves / wishlist items, but many of those choices are each to there own. Nothing gets as old real quick than lurching from one financial crisis to another, whether afloat or onshore - some things are the same.

On the money side really only 2 ways to go (albeit some overlap), save up and go (and come back when money runs out, or hope to be dead by then!) downside is that likely won't still be so young when you head off. The other is to be good at making money on the hoof (and not simply boat related stuff), a skill that can be learned - but getting truly comfortable outside a certain income (both the amount and it being regular) is something that not all can get happy with.

Some folks are better than others at identifying and then snaffling opportuntities as they go along in life, and rather than a PITA also consider the uncertainty as part of the fun (albeit life always more fun with some cash in the bank / food in the fridge! to smooth the bumps).

Which are you? you probably know that already by your "career" / life choices to date. For me I like starting the year knowing I could earn a million pounds a month (even though I know I probably won't!) - rather than knowing the most I will get is only XXX (no matter how much that "only" is - and the fact that it could well be more than I will make myself!). Also depends on how you value your time not spent working for "da man".....afloat or onshore some things are the same.

Bon voyage .

Hey David,
I am... The sort of person who would rather be earning XXX than 000
So with that in mind I find it would be better to stick to Nursing- knowing it to be stable work. My idea is to work in the countries I go to- when I need some money! sound good?
I have met people who would bang their head on a wall and mutter about 'girls sailing' so was not sure as to what to expect! Other than that, I had the rest of what you wrote thought through- so no worries there! Cheers! PS enjoyed you post about 'woman wanted' or something, forget the name... Hilarious!
Xantusiidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 18:09   #47

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Have you tried getting a little bit closer? Taking off those shades of yours?

;-) jokes' end

Actually, 1+!

I too think a solo sailor is a solo sailor ... and especially so while sailing.

If we see more solo men sailing then this is probably entirely due to our socio-economic structures. He is out, solo sailing, she is tending his magnanimously donated flock.

A solo person in a criminal country is another thing. Avoid. But then again: even if you are a 6' tall and extremely fit guy (doh: simply put - someone like me!) - then, STILL, avoid!

So I say go sailing and whether you are a guy or a girl or anything in between, you will find like-minded sailors along your way.

b.
I had you, Barnakiel, up to the point where the joke ended, then I lost you completely...
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 18:12   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantusiidae

Hey David,
I am... The sort of person who would rather be earning XXX than 000
So with that in mind I find it would be better to stick to Nursing- knowing it to be stable work. My idea is to work in the countries I go to- when I need some money! sound good?
I have met people who would bang their head on a wall and mutter about 'girls sailing' so was not sure as to what to expect! Other than that, I had the rest of what you wrote thought through- so no worries there! Cheers! PS enjoyed you post about 'woman wanted' or something, forget the name... Hilarious!
Some countries you will be able to get permission to work, some countries you won't. Some countries will recognize your qualifications and some countries won't. Some countries will pay pretty low wages for nurses.

Plan ahead and know before you go to avoid disappointment.

Working without permission can lead to problems such as deportation.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 18:18   #49

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post

Part of the explanation is that these races are organized by the French, who are the best sailors in the world, who have the best boats in the world and maybe most importantly: who still remember what Liberte! means.

Thats because us AMERICANS stepped in otherwise the french would be speaking german now. So if the French remember Liberte it is because of the Americans that they so despise.
Life, and sailing in particular, is not about remembering ideas, it is about applying them.

BTW Don't forget they gave you the statue, didnt they.

;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 18:19   #50
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

whew--is a long thread already--wow--good work.
welcome to cf...most of us in ssssm are just what we are---sailors. solo/single--is a slight difference.
seeking ?? mebbe, mebbe not--depends on locale and disposition. most solosailors dont mesh well with others, and tend to play together as long as each has own boat....
we have a place for you at the dock party--come on down.... might find a way to get boat out of slip and sailing in short order.....

boys! boys!! be gentle on each other .... no mortal wounds...i dont feel like stitching anyone or pressure dressing application....

dont make any islands be a way point and make sure they are well out of the way.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 18:23   #51

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Life, and sailing in particular, is not about remembering ideas, it is about applying them.

BTW Don't forget they gave you the statue, didnt they.

;-)

b.
Guess they did,,,, maybe we should send them a bill for the repairing of it.

LOVE you Zeehag,, you can apply a dressing to me anytime
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 18:34   #52

lol kj.....come on down....
Old 09-05-2012, 18:35   #53

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
lol kj.....come on down....
I love it when a women tells me that
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 18:36   #54

Ex-Calif, I had thought of that! In answer I will say, I plan on getting into a field which allows me to travel and if I cannot work in a certain place then I will work somewhere else, doesn't bother me at all! Well... So long as I can keep sailing....
Old 09-05-2012, 18:38   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantusiidae
Ex-Calif, I had thought of that! In answer I will say, I plan on getting into a field which allows me to travel and if I cannot work in a certain place then I will work somewhere else, doesn't bother me at all! Well... So long as I can keep sailing....
It is certainly doable. There was a french couple here last year. They got shore jobs for about 3 months to replenish the kitty.

Nursing skills are plenty portable.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 18:40   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
I had you, Barnakiel, up to the point where the joke ended, then I lost you completely...
I know some of my pieces lack luster. They are still working on it at Google Translate.

b.
Old 09-05-2012, 18:41   #57

registered nurses can work anywhere in the world. there are travelling agencies that will even place you where you wish to work. isnot a problem. you will enjoy fun and work in same sentence. is awesome. ye picked well. many could be jellus
Old 09-05-2012, 18:50   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
registered nurses can work anywhere in the world. there are travelling agencies that will even place you where you wish to work. isnot a problem. you will enjoy fun and work in same sentence. is awesome. ye picked well. many could be jellus
Correction: in many places of the world.

And when one gets to a place where one can't, one can still help others with his or her skills - there is no way locals will let starve anybody who can cure some of their many ailments!

Another issue is if you like taro&yam! ;-)

Hugs,
b.
Old 09-05-2012, 18:52   #59

we have a place for you at the dock party--come on down.... might find a way to get boat out of slip and sailing in short order.....[/QUOTE]

Ah Zee! Sounds lovely but I am surely in the wrong part of the states!

...and also- I am glad you think that of nursing (so do I)!
Old 09-05-2012, 18:54   #60

barnakiel, are you a nurse? Oh yes I have had Taro, many times. The leaves are just divine smoked...

Tags
sailing