Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2012, 03:06   #91
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Solo Sailing... A Good Idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post
A slow bike at it's limit is much more fun than a fast bike going slow.
+1 on that

Not to say that in my younger days I didn't go down the "faster is better" route. and had a lot of fun doing so .....but my return to "big" bikes a few years ago deliberately avoided that (although was / still! tempted).....at present have 900cc of Triumph Triple (nothing classic - only a 2000), anything near 100 on that feels like the end of the world is nigh.......and that even before arriving at any corners .....but wins hands down on the grins per mile stakes . (well, it would do if it still ran - hey, it's a Triumph ....fixing that also on my "To do list").

FWIW there be a few folks here with bikes or in their past - even a couple of threads. Must be some sort of natural overlap!

Quote:
The 33' makes a lot of sense to me as a single handed boat, the 36 has so much space I could have everything I want on board and still have trouble filling it, but it's a lot bigger and a lot heavier. A 33 is a good compromise, still really roomy, a 30 feels like it has quite a few sacrifices.
On the upside the cost of parts is much lower, and it's much easier to handle, plus moorage fees are almost 10% lower.
Sounds like a decent approach. and clearly lots of thought gone into the decision. The plus of the route chosen is that when (or if!) you get to the bigger boat stage you will know first hand what you need / want, rather than just guessing.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 03:35   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Solo Sailing... A Good Idea?

i did a 4500 mile delivery on a cape dory 33 a few years back,i was really impressed with the boats sailing ability,seaworthness and quality of build.

over the whole trip the boat averaged 5.2 knots,but happily sailed between 6.5 and 7.5kts even when heavily loaded,(we had 120 gals of fuel onboard,80 gals water,3months food for a crew of 3)when we left hawaii bound for australia.

great little boat for a single hander.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing