Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-05-2012, 20:11   #61

Send a message via Skype™ to mdvick
Re: solo sailing... A good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
BTW if it is illegal to sail solo, then how come Vendee Globe sailors ever go sailing? Next event November this year, let's sit and watch as they get cuffed ;-).

BTW I do not think it it is irresponsible nor do I think it is done at my expense. Different experiences result in different attitudes.

People who like being solo should go sailing solo. Those who like crowd should sail with the crowd.

Oceans are big enough for all of us.

b.
There is NOTHING to compare with being alone at sea. It is one of the most incredible things you can do. You do not need any of the widgits and gadgets. Have we forgotten how to heave to??? Lin and Larry Pardee have great information on how this can be done. You are NOT underway when you heave to. I have single handed for years and when you plan correctly there is no issue. I don't think the racers do not sleep.

Old 09-05-2012, 20:15   #62

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Part of the explanation is that these races are organized by the French, who are the best sailors in the world, who have the best boats in the world and maybe most importantly: who still remember what Liberte! means.

b.

The fact that the French win a disproportionate number of inshore and offshore races does not make them the 'best' sailors. It just means they win more races.

Of course I may be bias'd because I don't see fastest as a synonym for best.

So I guess best depends on how you define the word. For me best would include the ability to go out daily whatever the weather, week in and week out bringing home the bacon without losing lives, the boat or the cargo and moving along at a reasonable pace with a boat that is optimized for load carrying rather than speed or heavy weather survival. Under that definition the best sailors would probably be in the middle east or SE Asia where a significant amount of fishing or commerce is still carried out aboard sailing vessels.

Old 09-05-2012, 20:33   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvick

There is NOTHING to compare with being alone at sea. It is one of the most incredible things you can do. You do not need any of the widgits and gadgets. Have we forgotten how to heave to??? Lin and Larry Pardee have great information on how this can be done. You are NOT underway when you heave to. I have single handed for years and when you plan correctly there is no issue. I don't think the racers do not sleep.
Techically when not connected to shore or ground you are underway. When hove to you may not be making way. When hove to and asleep you may be a vessel making way and not under command.

Different terms.

BTW - I have zero issue with single handers. Two sailboats collide at 5 knots - we skin our knees and I'll survive another day. A solo sailor gets run over by a tanker disappears but affects me not.

However, the idea that solo sailors only take 30 minute naps for 21-30 days at sea is total BS. Human physiology just isn't that flexible. Without REM sleep we all go loopy in a couple of days. I have had beers with solo sailors, they all admit to sleeping eventually. I'll buy into the sleep with various alarms but as to how effective? That's the risk the solo sailor has a right to determine on his/her own.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 20:37   #64

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvick View Post
You are NOT underway when you heave to.
You probably should research that some.

Here's what I found:
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navRules/navrules.pdf

RULE 3 General Definitions:
Pg 8 - (i) The word “underway” means that a vessel is not at anchor, or made fast to the shore, or aground.

Semantically and functionally I would agree that you are not underway when hove to. Legally however, I believe you would be.

But you say, "If I declare that the boat is "Not Under Command" and display the appropriate lights and shapes then I am relieved of the need to maintain a lookout while I sleep. Problem solved."

Pg 6 - (f) The term “vessel not under command” means a vessel which through some exceptional circumstance is unable to maneuver as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel.

Heaving to and sleeping for several hours each day is not an exceptional circumstance, it is routine. If you were in a collision under these circumstances an admiralty court would not recognize any claim to having been "Not Under Command", more so if you were not hove to but still making way. They would still nail you for not maintaining a lookout.

Once again, I'm not saying don't do it, there are passages I would do solo, but don't be under any illusions that there is a way to avoid most of the legal responsibility if you have an collision while asleep.
Old 09-05-2012, 20:48   #65

Boat: morgan OI 41', beneteau oceanis 44CC, Peterson cutter 46'

Well, believe it or not. We have hoved to on all our boats MANY times. We get a whole heap of bad weather down south. So it is essential to keep safe and not damage your home
Old 09-05-2012, 22:22   #66

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

As far as I'm concerned, the risk being run down by a ship with an inattentive crew while the singlehander is asleep downstairs can be lessened enormously by AIS and radar alarms. In fact from my limited experience, AIS & radar alarms are more reliable than your typical watchstander who gets sleepy and just doesn't pay enough attention. I know this attitude is politically incorrect although this doesn't mean it is not true.
Old 09-05-2012, 22:38   #67
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the risk being run down by a ship with an inattentive crew while the singlehander is asleep downstairs can be lessened enormously by AIS and radar alarms. In fact from my limited experience, AIS & radar alarms are more reliable than your typical watchstander who gets sleepy and just doesn't pay enough attention. I know this attitude is politically incorrect although this doesn't mean it is not true.
I like to have both going but your right !! Keep the inattentive crew & the radar going, between the two you should be good to go- For me I work onboard and have to solo all the time,mostly short hops, but sometimes 5-6 days/ nights at a time and those 30 min cat naps suck after a few days out-until you find your asleep for a few hours at a time-I sleep in the cockpit- where I can open my eyes and see the radar with out moving-"inattentive " im guilty of after a few nights- but thats what radars for -I set my alarms at 6 miles & 3 miles
Old 10-05-2012, 01:12   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram

I like to have both going but your right !! Keep the inattentive crew & the radar going, between the two you should be good to go- For me I work onboard and have to solo all the time,mostly short hops, but sometimes 5-6 days/ nights at a time and those 30 min cat naps suck after a few days out-until you find your asleep for a few hours at a time-I sleep in the cockpit- where I can open my eyes and see the radar with out moving-"inattentive " im guilty of after a few nights- but thats what radars for -I set my alarms at 6 miles & 3 miles
Ram - hats off to your honesty! Getting solo sailors to admit to sleeping is like getting Clinton to admit to... Well 'nuff said...

I am sure you weigh the risks and I support your decision to solo 100%
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:27   #69
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
but don't be under any illusions that there is a way to avoid most of the legal responsibility if you have an collision while asleep.
- Lying (whether blatant, simply enough to muddy the waters or by keeping schtum until you need to come up with a version of events that is based on truth ).

- No Survivors (self or others)

Altogether will pretty much cover most legal problems

IMO biggest risk when singlehanding a yacht is to the person singlehanding, and that mostly from getting run down by something bigger or faster - or both! (and nothing to do with the legal side)....and even that is a risk that is manageable down to acceptable proportions (depending on own comfort level and area of travel).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:40   #70
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i dont heave to--i sail thru....
yes, an RN CAN work ANYWHERE inn world, as there is world wide shortage of us. just have to find correct travel agency and prepare in advance for potential jobs. (one yr experience and licensure)
as there are many travel agencies--companies doing scheduling for rns in other pllaces for contractual times--, go with more than one. you WILL find jobs where you wish to.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:32   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
- Lying (whether blatant, simply enough to muddy the waters or by keeping schtum until you need to come up with a version of events that is based on truth ).

- No Survivors (self or others)

Altogether will pretty much cover most legal problems

IMO biggest risk when singlehanding a yacht is to the person singlehanding, and that mostly from getting run down by something bigger or faster - or both! (and nothing to do with the legal side)....and even that is a risk that is manageable down to acceptable proportions (depending on own comfort level and area of travel).
I would agree most of the risk is to the single-hander.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:54   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantusiidae View Post
barnakiel, are you a nurse? Oh yes I have had Taro, many times. The leaves are just divine smoked...
A seaman must be everything, a nurse at times. I am not a nurse but I did work nursing.

Their tubers one of very few things I did not warm too. Maybe except for yucca that I like prepared as French fries.

b.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:37   #73
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

these were in mazatllan...the attachments were at sea-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06919.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	40908   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07015.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	40909  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07021.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	40910  
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 14:36   #74

Boat: Voyage Maxim 380

Thanks Zeehag - I am currently working in the bush in Senegal so seeing the water shots is so good for the soul. I am in the process of finalising a purchase of my 3rd yacht and will continue my solo sailing. I can only say that once you take that first step, you will (hopefully) realise that solo sailing offers a freedom that is rare. We don't have to be solo in our personality but I agree that I get on better with people when they have their own boats and I don't have them as crew. I separate my professional sailing days where crew was by nature part of the norm, but there is nothing so satisfying when you finish a solo passage and drop that anchor (all going well in a safe anchorage) and realise a new adventure awaits - visiting new lands, meeting new people. I 'retired' in my early 30s and took off sailing - little money, little electronic toys, but a great Tayana 37. I had a marvellous 8-9 years before coming back to the land. I never regretted it as I never knew what life and health had in store for me. I am now quite a few years older and my adventures have been landlocked for the last few years in mining in some pretty crazy countries and places, but it is time to return to the sea. Is it right to sail singlehanded - up to the individual, will I insure my boat - nope but my insurance money will be in terms of good tackle and gear, will I be nervous - a bit, as it has been some time, am I excited - definately. The ocean is a leveller - young, old, male, female - if we are lucky to share the ocean then all I can say is go for it. I will be.
Old 10-05-2012, 15:57   #75

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter

Welcome bevcory. Interesting sailing bio. 9 years at sea, 9? years on land or the balance since the tayana days? Anyway, welcome to CF. btw, what did you do in Senegal, if I'm not being too nosy?

Ah, the French, gods love 'em. They are great sailors. Great cruisers or watermen, I Have no idea. But if one says the best skiers are the ones who can go to the extreme edge of skiing and snow conditions, and still arrive at the finish, you have to give the frogs their due as sailors. btw, who do you imagine financed the American Revolution, just to wipe the eye of King George?

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: