Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-05-2012, 08:57   #16

Boat: private yacht always moving
Re: solo sailing... A good idea?

rather be solo,,,no one to argue with,,,,,just be careful, many people have sailed around the world solo with no problem,,,just think safety

Old 09-05-2012, 09:00   #17

Boat: PETERSON 44

Wow I have many many solo miles. dont count them but thousands. None of my experiences reflect your comments. I was on a crewed boat with a very ill skipper. That was a huge liability. I have no idea of your sailing experience but your comments suggest a paranoia that is not well found. you probably should not solo sail. I found that I can be watch for prolonged periods. I conserve my energy output. means I task slowly. I can cat nap in very light sleep for short durations not sure its really sleep. Initially I found my dirt lifestyle uncompilable with prolonged solo sailing. I had to adapt and rethink how I expend energy My dirt life says put everything into this at high output for 10 hours. In contrary my solo sailing is about efficient thought out meticulous low energy use. Rather then a segmented day all the minutes are cohesive and important with equal value. That is a huge adaption for most western thinkers. I am very concerned about the effects of sleep deprivation and in early exploits suffered from these. Hallucinations and lack of judgement which were very scarey. so I dont recommend solo sailing without some training. Later and more experienced I learned to adjust my body and operation with better results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Johnson View Post
If it is a long enough voyage that you have to sleep, leaving NO one on watch, then it is both illegal, "technically speaking", and highly irresponsible. GPS has multiplied the number of cruisers out there X 100, AND they tend to take the same logical routes, to the same nice destinations.

Avoiding collision at sea, on a small boat, with a lot of motion, at night or with poor visibility, perhaps low batteries & dimming lights, sometimes with seasick skippers... Well, it is difficult with BOTH boat's skippers' doing the best that they can.

For one of the boats to HAVE NO ONE ON WATCH, for more than a few minutes, puts the entire responsibility of avoiding collision on the shoulders of the other boat.

The single handed boat, "IF" it has no one on watch, is pursuing their activity "at other peoples expense".

I have "almost" been run down (several times), by a boat, single handed or not, with no one on watch. I could hardly see their dim lights due to their flat batteries, (until within 100'), but they COULD'VE seen mine... IF they had been on watch!

Avoiding collision with each other, is a SHARED responsibility.

Btw... I was single handed for years, but found a way to do so, without leaving the boat sailing along with no one on watch. You can Island hop, once in island groups, and get temporary "crew" in order to get there.

M.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:04   #18
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

I solo about 75% of the time and I also use the radar with alarms- it wakes me right up- it still sucks those 30 min naps day after day after day uggg sometimes I get 2 hour naps then feel great for the day- its better to have help but not alway availabule
Old 09-05-2012, 09:12   #19
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: solo sailing... A good idea?

Ok... we've had the anti-solo statements... now for the 'pro-solo'...
Go for it... if your in busy waters then one acts accordingly..
on the ocean there's nothing to stop you setting up to fore-reach in your general direction and grabbing the full 8hrs if you need it...
personally I put 2reefs in the main and leave the genny out to suit the conditions, set the auto-pilot and hit the sack... if the wind shifts or increase's the motion/noise will wake me and I just have the genny to deal with... safety in the cockpit... no stumbling about on deck bleary eyed.
The theory touted about sleeping during the day is just that... theory...
I was T-boned in broad daylight by a boat with 4 crew on board.. all below sipping wine and eating.. they were under engine.. I was ghosting... made the mistake of thinking they'd have a lookout... so was below cooking... power gives way to sail right...
Just don't make assumptions... everyone else out there is an idiot...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:25   #20

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
BTW if it is illegal to sail solo, then how come Vendee Globe sailors ever go sailing?

b.
Money talks.

Wait 'til the first accident that claims a life and the sponsors are sued, then see if there is another race.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:57   #21
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: solo sailing... A good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Money talks.

Wait 'til the first accident that claims a life and the sponsors are sued, then see if there is another race.
Think there's been a couple or 3 over the years....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:06   #22

Boat: PETERSON 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Money talks.

ohh goodie lawyers and insurance people. The coast gaurd just stopped issuing permits for races in San Fran. Not their constitutional charge.Thats what you get when subsidized insurance companies and politicians get together.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:13   #23

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Think there's been a couple or 3 over the years....
Several accidents, but no one croaked.

When someone croaks then the game changes.

It's not just the insurance companies that will be paying, the sponsors and race organizers will be held directly liable, sponsoring an event that on the face of it requires competitors to violate the COLREGS.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:23   #24

Boat: morgan OI 41', beneteau oceanis 44CC, Peterson cutter 46'

Hi guys. My plan as to being 'safe at sea' is to use AIS (and, of course, radar), we've had it for a few years and it is essential to being on watch! It was great while we were cruising upper Northland NZ in heavy fog with the ships about! I am seventeen at the moment. Am planning on doing nursing after this so will buy a yacht before/ after I get into uni! The idea of long ocean crossings appeals to me, having done a fair few!
If I do happen to have crew and they would have to be good sailing friends of mine. No use having unnecessary problems crop up by taking people with little or no experience and/or emotional issues!
I think, solo sailing is what you make of it- you can either have a blast or get flattened with exhaustion!
I cannot understand how it could possibly be illegal to solo-sail. I mean, you are responsible for your own actions, you are not held by a certain country (once offshore) if I am correct?
Old 09-05-2012, 10:39   #25

Boat: too many

17 is the perfect age to head out solo, in fact your a bit late. Laura Dekker set out at 14 and is still going after her solo circumnavigation, transiting the Panama Canal yesterday for the 2nd time with Guppy. She did pick up a young musician on Bonaire for crew last month. Zeehag is a retired ER nurse and spends time on the FB social group SSSSM. That stands for Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates. You are the first part, and later you might fit the 2nd half, but join the group and dislodge Ocean as the youngest of that group at 20.

I just put the word out to Zee, she might be looking you up.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:02   #26

Boat: morgan OI 41', beneteau oceanis 44CC, Peterson cutter 46'

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
17 is the perfect age to head out solo, in fact your a bit late. Laura Dekker set out at 14 and is still going after her solo circumnavigation, transiting the Panama Canal yesterday for the 2nd time with Guppy. She did pick up a young musician on Bonaire for crew last month. Zeehag is a retired ER nurse and spends time on the FB social group SSSSM. That stands for Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates. You are the first part, and later you might fit the 2nd half, but join the group and dislodge Ocean as the youngest of that group at 20.
HAHA! I am not looking for a 'soul mate'- I'm afraid! That would certainly raise a few questions from my friends! Neither am I looking to break any records.
I wrote to Zeehag and she has got back to me- which is cool!
Do any of you have an idea on rigging, I have heard that it can be troublesome but have not had anything too bad- aside from cutting down a torn genoa. Getting up there to get it down was not fun! Thinking about that springs a few more to mind...
Old 09-05-2012, 11:27   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantusiidae View Post
I cannot understand how it could possibly be illegal to solo-sail. I mean, you are responsible for your own actions, you are not held by a certain country (once offshore) if I am correct?
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navRules/navrules.pdf
Rule #5, page 12.
"Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and
hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing
circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation
and of the risk of collision."

If you are asleep for more than 5 or 10min at a time you can not be looking and hearing at legally 'reasonable' intervals. All the electronic aids fall into the category of 'as well as by all available means'. There's plenty of case law on this.

If you were involved in a collision in international water outside of territorial limits, your coast guard would have some jurisdiction and probably also the coast guard of the other boat, it doesn't matter that you were in international waters. In territorial waters the host country's coast guard would also have jurisdiction. Where legal actions were pursued would depend on the particulars of each case and in the event someone thought you were at fault whether you were in custody there.

That said most sailors are in boats much smaller than the other vessels they encounter. Solo sailors that fail to notice another vessel on a collision course generally just disappear leaving everyone to wonder what happened. Given this most jurisdictions don't pay attention to solo sailors unless something happens, they treat it like driving 5mph/8kph over the speed limit.

I'm not trying to say 'Don't Go'. At the same time don't carry any illusions about what your legal responsibilities are.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:37   #28

I think I stated "and later you might fit the 2nd half," as to seeking a soul mate. When zeehag asked me to join I told her only the first part fit me "solo sailor", and that I wasn't seeking a "soul mate", but as in life, if it happens, so be it. I think you would like the group because the percentage of single female sailors that are out sailing NOW has to be at least 100X the percentage here on CF. Just a thought, but if you want to join a group that closely matches what you would like to be doing, just saying you will find that group at SSSSM. As to rigging for single handed sailing, I'm sure you are referring to lines and not the standing rigging. That is rather easily accomplished with a few blocks and jam cleats routed to a protective area under your dodger.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:43   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
ohh goodie lawyers and insurance people. The coast gaurd just stopped issuing permits for races in San Fran. Not their constitutional charge.Thats what you get when subsidized insurance companies and politicians get together.
It was a fully crewed race and had absolutely nothing to do with single handed sailing!

And it's a temporary situation being reevaluated to determine, essentially, whether tethers should be required to be worn all the time. Mu guess is that they'll find that it would be too burdensome, unenforceable and more danger than just leaving the rules as they are.

Only two outside the gate races have been affected to date.

Boy, mixing apples and oranges...
Old 09-05-2012, 11:43   #30

As to the banter about the legalities of solo sailing, my 20 minute cat naps have always worked for me, 95% of my sailing is by myself, and I cherish the solitude, wouldn't have it any other way. Just don't waste your money buying anything other than the cheap liability insurance that is required in most all countries. This means for the replacement of your boat, you own it outright with no bank note, that way no insurance company can dictate where you cruise and the amount and experience of your crew.

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: