Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2016, 12:36   #1

Boat: Ohlson 29
Should I (feline) go cruising with my human?

Hello water humans!

My name is Zezo, I'm a 6 year old (best guess) female feline sharing a weird, tiny plastic house on the water with my female human.

I was born on the streets of Damascus, Syria -- I'm used to living on the streets and I can take care of myself, but I discovered that some humans like to give me food and pet me. So one day I walked into the house of a human feeding me and made myself comfy. Paws down the best move I ever made.
I came to the Netherlands in 2012 and I've been on this plastic home for a little over 2 years now.

I'm cool with sailing, heeling, rolling and all the other weird stuff that goes on here sometimes, except ... sometimes my human starts the engine. I HATE that beast! I scream like a banshee when that thing roars and keep it up until it's quiet again ...

There are a lot of floating houses where I live now, and there is wood over the water to walk on. I even hunt on the wood, as there are plenty of pigeons and rats to play with. My human doesn't like it when I go after the rats, but she's way too slow to stop me

Anyway, my human is planning on some 'serious sailing' as she likes to call it. She's talking about a trip to Norway, whatever that may be, and even to leave here for ever and go to a place where there isn't so much rain and a lot of what she calls coconuts.

From everything I have overheard, we'll be sailing a lot. I don't mind that, but I do like to go outside and play on the wood - if the weather is nice. She said the weather with the coconuts is much nicer then here, so that sounds good.

Anyway, I am a little worried that I won't be able to get on land when my human leaves and I decide to go with her. I never go far - I like staying close to my human and plastic house - but I do like to stretch my paws every now and again, and chase after some scared prey. I like to watch the fishies too, but I can't catch them without getting my paws wet, and I HATE getting wet

My human is afraid other humans won't allow me off the boat and that I'll be sad because I can look at the beach (that's what she calls the huge litterboxes near the water) but won't be allowed to go. Or I might be allowed off the boat, but there is no wood to walk on so she'd have to take me and I'd have to walk on a leash like a dog! I'm not sure I like the sound of that ... I'm not a dog, and I can't hunt on a leash

If any of you water humans have done this 'serious sailing' thing and your feline went with you, how did they like it? Would they always be on the plastic house or could they play on land too? Were they used to playing on the wood next to the boat before you went away or were they used to always being on the plastic house?

I don't mind getting a new kitty-passport or going to the vet again ... but I am a little worried I would be stuck on the plastic house for months and months ... As much as I like it, remember I was born on the streets and lived there for the first couple of years of my life. Every couple of days, I really do need to stretch my paws, do some hunting and stuff ... will I be able to do that on this 'serious sailing' thing my human is talking about?
Old 13-01-2016, 12:53   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Should I (feline) go cruising with my human?

Hi, Zezo,

My, how very pretty you are!

Tell your human that she needs to fully examine all the quarantine requirements for the countries she wants to visit. Your passport will be good throughout Europe, as I understand it, and I don't know about the Bahamas, myself, but in the South Pacific, there are quarantines applied, quite Draconian in Australia and New Zealand, which would like being in jail for months for you.

Ann
Old 13-01-2016, 13:13   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Tell your human that she needs to fully examine all the quarantine requirements for the countries she wants to visit.
Thank you, I put her to work - she told me I make things 'complicated'.
Doh! Humans make it all complicated, but she blames me

I think she can sort that all out, but even if I'm allowed on land - I'm worried I won't be able to hunt and play, cos maybe I'd have to be on a leash? My human doesn't know any other humans that had their feline join them, only a few that left their feline behind.

She seems to worry about having to dinghy me to shore and to have to wait there for me to return. I don't even know what that all means, but I would like to know how other felines handled getting their paws on land and have some fun ...
Old 13-01-2016, 13:13   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Hey, Kitty....Kitty, I spent my thirteen years in my plastic house and cruising about to new places. I also returned to some ports with familiar smells. I have an international certificate of veterinary inspection that helped with my travel. I don't have your "street life" experience and I'm not familiar with the quirks of your species, but for me it was a "dog's life" on the plastic home! 'best of luck, Zorro

Old 13-01-2016, 13:31   #5

Great post! I got two white kittens in Saint Maarten and for quite a while they only knew the boat as I cruised in the Caribbean. They would come on deck and look at the shore when I topped up the tank... wondering... what's that?

I did train them to use a litter box without litter... something I fashioned by creating a grid "sewn" into a plastic bin that they did their biz on which could be drop overboard and cleaned easily. Litter is a non starter on the boat.

I had a towel tied to the stern into the water and they climbed up it when I tossed them in so they could learn that they didn't really want to jump off. Up the towel they went lickity split.

When they crewed for me from Antigua to Long Island Sound... I would have them sleep on me (20 minutes till the alarm went off) but often took off onto the deck to go after flying fish. Their names were Sancho Panza AKA sideshow and Dr. Would AKA Wouldie..

In the Sound I was living aboard in a marina... preparing another boat for delivery... and they couldn't bear the temptation to explore... and they were getting bigger. Trouble is they would get themselves into some other boat where the skipper left a small port lite open for ventilation... and Sideshow and Wouldie to play. Kinda hard to get them outta there.

I finally delivered the boat and they were watched ashore in a nice country house... in Westport. There they got stuck up the trees too many times and the fire department refused to come and get them down. The Westport couple adopted them and they lived happily ever after. Great little cats... Still miss them. Oh yea one a 2 green eyes and one a blue and a green.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 13:38   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Zezo, I'm sorry to have to tell you we started our cruising with a dog and a cat. Both were mature adults (more than can be said of the humans). The dog adapted to life on board. The cat never did. Even without the issues of international travel (beyond Mexico) the cat, a 20+ lb Norwegian Forest cat, was so obviously unhappy living aboard that after 6 months she found other humans to live with and is once again the princess of her new domain. The dog thinks he is the captain and we are his crew. All happily ever after.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 13:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I have an international certificate of veterinary inspection that helped with my travel.
Hi Zorro! You're pretty good looking ... you know, for a dog
My human had what she calls a 'Rotti' a few years before I came along. She says she still misses her at times.
I'm OK with dogs ... just don't want their paws on my floating home - but I'm sure you guard your home too.

My human is taking care of the paperwork - my passport is from Syria and in Arabic and my human and vet think it'll be a lot easier to start with a Dutch passport and take it from there. They made a joke about washing me white or something. Not funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I did train them to use a litter box without litter... Litter is a non starter on the boat.
My human tried that too, but sorry - I only poop if I can bury it and cover it op. So there's litter on this boat, but the box keeps nearly all of it inside.

Quote:
I had a towel tied to the stern into the water and they climbed up it when I tossed them in so they could learn that they didn't really want to jump off.
I fell in the water once ... But I fell off the wood, not the boat, and I couldn't get out
I was rescued in time, and now I'm even more careful.
My human better not throw me into the water! I'd so make her pay for that!

Quote:
Trouble is they would get themselves into some other boat where the skipper left a small port lite open for ventilation...
I'm not allowed on other floating homes ... I like staying close to mine anyway, and I'm afraid of humans I don't know too well cos I learned on the streets not all humans are nice I usually only go play on the wood when it's quiet and there's only people I know around.

Quote:
Still miss them. Oh yea one a 2 green eyes and one a blue and a green.
I have seen kitties with 2 color eyes, they were very pretty!

Yeah, my human would miss me very much too, and she'd like to take me with her.
But she said I should only go if it's fun for me too, and I'd be happy. And she knows I need my paws on some land every couple of days. She said I'd have deal with that not happening on the ocean, but she also promised me fishies would jump on the boat so I could still catch some fresh food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
The dog adapted to life on board. The cat never did. Even without the issues of international travel (beyond Mexico) the cat, a 20+ lb Norwegian Forest cat, was so obviously unhappy living aboard that after 6 months she found other humans to live with and is once again the princess of her new domain.
I am sad for you your feline left But that's what we do when we aren't happy ...
I've been on the boat for a little over 2 years now, and I like it fine. Except for when that engine thing is on, that is just too loud and it freaks me out ... But usually it doesn't last too long, and everything else is kinda nice so far ...

Some people think I look like a Norwegian Forest cat, which makes me happy cos they are very pretty cats I'm just a street kitty, but I think I'm pretty anyway! And quite a bit smaller at 12 pounds or so.
Old 13-01-2016, 13:57   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Lizzy,

Only you can decide what you think you can do for your kitty. However, given that your kitty started life in Damascus, found her way to Holland and lives with a woman with cruising wander lust, I think your kitty just has a desire to travel! Seriously, she is already a well traveled cat, but I cant imagine that at 2 or 3 she has seen everything she desires just yet.

Since her desire is to be near you, I don't think you really have to worry about her taking off or getting lost on land. Home is where her human is.
My Siamese was like this. She even once followed me to work, on foot in winter, 2 miles to work. And then, she followed me home again too. Some kitties are Velcro. Some kitties are traveling Velcro.

That is one lucky kitty! And pretty too!
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 14:08   #9

Boat: Mirage 35

And you could always learn some nautical skills to help out - here I am, helping my human.

Not that I would ever go outside of my warm, dry house! I was outside once when I was young and didn't enjoy it at all.

Filou
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0203.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	116663  
Old 13-01-2016, 14:10   #10

Boat: Outremer 50S

Hey Zezo, my name is Bigfoot, and I spent four-and-a-half years circumnavigating on a small wooden house (pretty similar to your plastic house). When I left I was about six years old and had never been sailing before. I loved being on watch with my humans, especially at night. I would curl up in their laps while they steered the boat, and help keep them awake and watchful. And I got very proficient at grabbing flying fish off the deck before they flapped back overboard. In my best night I had enough fish for the whole crew

My people had to study hard on regulations, and in the end neither they nor I got to NZ or Oz because the quarantine rules were just too hard. But other than that I got my passport stamped in 40+ countries without any problems or even any vet visits. If you do think you will go to the places that require a quarantine make sure you get 'chipped', now-a-days just about every place that requires a quarantine requires a chip for positive identification (Big Brother )

My people lived on the hook most of time, so I didn't get to shore too often. Every once in a while when we were in a marina, and on rare occasions by dinghy, but for the most part I stayed on the boat. I only went swimming once! We were anchored so close to land (I could smell it, so sweet and fragrant) and the water was so glassy calm that I just jumped off the boat to go to the 'land'. Boy was I shocked! But I hollered for the people pretty loud, and they fished me out. After that I decided I really didn't need to go to shore that bad. And the people would bring new beaches to me pretty regularly so that I could use my litter box.

On a few occasions I got a little seasick, but I was very good at finding the exact center of motion of the boat (my people envied me that) and would go there and find a nice place to curl up and wait it out. It didn't happen too often and was never enough for me the barf, but there were a few days now and then when I didn't feel much like eating.

All-in-all I seemed pretty content, and got back home as hearty and healthy as when I left, with a lot of good stories to tell my stay-at-home friends.

I hope you have fun with your human(s) and get a chance to visit the coconut lands.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 14:11   #11

Pfft, done posting as a feline, makes my head hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Since her desire is to be near you, I don't think you really have to worry about her taking off or getting lost on land. Home is where her human is.
Yeah, she really does like to keep close. Took some getting used too - my previous cats didn't seem to mind who opened the doors for them, or fed them. Zezo cares a great deal somehow.

She once had to stay with friends for a couple of weeks - that didn't go too well. From the moment I left to the moment I came back to pick her up, she kept miauwing very loudly, day and night, would barely eat, wouldn't let them pet her etc.

My neighbors in the next slip told me she gets loud when I'm away for more then an hour or two too. Never heard it myself tho, she goes quiet when she can hear me coming back, I guess.

My concern, apart from all the darn paperwork, is that it'll be difficult to have her have her land time too. I guess I can dinghy her ashore if I can teach her not to fear the dinghy - but then what? Just let her roam, keep her on a leash?

How do other boats with cats go about "land time" for their cats?
Old 13-01-2016, 14:20   #12

Boat: Outremer 50S

The problem with the land time is where to get it? In populated areas you have all the problems of traffic, unfamiliar people, etc. And in unpopulated places you have to be at least aware of the risk to the local ecosystem. Our cat went to shore on rare occasions when we thought we could balance all of those factors, but it wasn't often. And yes, a harness (also useful for helping keep the cat on the boat) and leash are useful if the place is large enough than finding an escaped cat would be difficult.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 14:24   #13

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Our cats have traveled with us since they were 3 and 5. They don't mind the engine noise; it's a signal that we are going to move, and they often find a place to curl up. Once under way, they'll come up into the cockpit to see what is going on and to snooze.

You'll need medical papers if you go to another country, and you can see what you need before you go. Give yourself plenty of time to get the paperwork. I like the idea about a littlerless litterbox. Worth a try. We are not so lucky and have to have litter. The box goes in the forward head unless we have company.

Cats are pretty adaptable, and ours do not seem to mind not going ashore. But they are house cats at home. We let them walk the decks while anchored or moored, keeping an eye on them. In a marina, we usually do not let them outside the cockpit (which has a screen enclosure) unless we are sitting in the cockpit. And they sleep a lot--like 20 hours a day.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 14:28   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Zezo,

The quarantine in Australia is on land, but in a cage, you would not be free to play with mice and birds. It is for 6 months! Your human may be allowed to visit you occasionally, but if you really like her, you might feel very sad, missing her when you want her. For your human, it will be an expense, and she will have to pay for your quarantine. In New Zealand, she will pay, too, for the inspector to come to your house and see you; and that will mean that her travel to explore there will be quite limited, as there, you must stay in your house for the whole time you are there, in their country.

Another pretty place nearby, New Caledonia, which has the coconuts and palms your human mentioned, is what is called French Outremer (which means an overseas protectorate), and may treat you as you are in Europe, or may not--your human will have to find out.

However, Australia is a long way from where you are, and at least the first part of her planned trip in the Mediterranean, you can go there. If your missy has a chat with your veterinarian, maybe they will be able to give you some medicine so that the sound of the engine on the boat does not hurt your ears or frighten you so bad. In the Med, there might be rules, and you might have to be on a leash somewhere, but no one will ever mistake you for a dog! Most of the humans in the plastic houses are friendly to kitties who stay on their own house.

Ann

PS. Sorry Lizzy, I started writing while you were still in Zezo mode.
Old 13-01-2016, 15:02   #15

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Don't forget - the rewards may be great! Companionship certainly. But also pest control, and intruder alert. She may also be sensitive to low pressure and you will learn to read her body signals before you are even aware a storm is brewing.

Since she likes to be close, maybe a long retractable leader is sufficient to give her a sense of independence without real risk.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising