Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2013, 18:07   #61

Re: Sexist views...

old gal friend...still good friend ....went to Hyundia and asked why her idiot light was on on Santa Fe.....he said 100 bucks to put it on the OBD computer.....

she said ..."Why cant you read it ,by yourself...just an idiot light,your the mechanic,im just a doctor"

;>)

Cheers,maybe when we get our first Lady president,things may change and get rid of the dead heads
LoveMyWoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 18:59   #62
cruiser

You think that you have it bad? Try working in a hospital setting sometime as a male registered nurse. Discrimination coming at male nurses from all sides, except from the patients.... And somehow most find it acceptable.

My wife has found the help from the employees at West Marine to be very helpful everytime she's gone there on her own.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 22:22   #63

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
pirate Re: Sexist views...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You think that you have it bad? Try working in a hospital setting sometime as a male registered nurse. Discrimination coming at male nurses from all sides, except from the patients.... And somehow most find it acceptable.

My wife has found the help from the employees at West Marine to be very helpful everytime she's gone there on her own.
Now I am curious as to why this would be. As an RN for almost 20 years...I love my male colleagues. Discrimination, no. Harrassment...perhaps! But I never had one complain! (KIDDING!!! I don't want to be accused of wanting it both ways again!

But my partner is also a male nurse, and I think his experience has been completely different also.
Old 25-09-2013, 23:10   #64

Boat: Catalina 30

When checking in and out of Mexican ports,
my partner always went in to do so. She's
(very) tall and blond and the men staffing
the offices treated her (very) well. We never
had any of the problems we heard about from other
cruisers.

It's a case where sexism can be used to one's
advantage. (appropriate emoticon here)
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 04:28   #65
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverChick71 View Post
Now I am curious as to why this would be. As an RN for almost 20 years...I love my male colleagues. Discrimination, no. Harrassment...perhaps! But I never had one complain! (KIDDING!!! I don't want to be accused of wanting it both ways again!

But my partner is also a male nurse, and I think his experience has been completely different also.
That's because You haven't walking in my nursing shoes. i'll send you a PM to explain.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 05:41   #66
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

in nuirsing,males do get the brunt of much sexual harrassment and sexism.. nursing is a womans field, haha, and md is a male field--ask my tiny beautiful norwegian orthopedic surgeon cousin.. quite true.

i was appreciative of my male rn friends at jobs--was a lot easier to get heavy work done with yáll helping.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 09:21   #67

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Being bi gender I hear/see the sexists comments/looks daily from both male and female. I can look, talk and walk both genders and I think most females and males are sexists!

My wife is defiantly the female in our marriage, and insists on letting me do the blue and pink duties! Actually I don’t mind the pink looks/remarks as I take most of them as a complement. If they knew what they were gawking at!
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 10:03   #68

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

So you get the best and worste of both worlds . Good on ya, I wouldn't want to be a man for all the tea in China!!
Old 26-09-2013, 10:04   #69
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Rebelheart,
Very interesting response. I do, however, have a question for you to kindly answer. When you were in the marine chandlery and overheard the above conversation, was it your supernatural and telepathic powers that enabled you to determine that the person on the other end of the telephone was an "Old White guy?" Or, did you prejudge/assume his race and age? If it was the latter, then how are you different from those you criticize as sexist, racist and guilty of prejudging others?

Rebels a great poster and I'm sure he didn't mean to come across as it could be taken. I was a bit surprised a bit, but I always give the benefit of doubt when ones intentions are different from what sometimes comes out.
But if he thinks about it for a sec he'll realize one day that he will be an old White guy too.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 10:36   #70

Boat: Swan, 1968, 36'

One of the most fun experiences I had was when I first was learning to sail, I learned from a good friend who is a 5' 4" blond who is 100ton captain who had sailed across the pacific and back and around much of the east coast. She even ran a tow boat on the Chesapeake Bay for about 3 years. She has lots of interesting stories about that.

I am not an unskilled guy myself but definitely had little if any experience with sailing or boating. All my experience was actually with her on a small tug she owned on the west coast collecting and removing logs in the bay in Oregon.

The assumptions about who was captain and had the experience whenever we pulled into a marina or met anybody was really funny. She had lots of fun with it but she never missed a beat. I did two long offshore passages with her and learned a lot about sailing. I have great respect for her skills and knowledge. I'm off on my own a lot now but am much better off having learned from her.

I'm not saying I'm not sexist either but that experience along with years of working with woman fighting forest fires kind of makes me think twice about making any assumptions about any woman knowing or being able to do anything I can. I do have a bad day once in a while and catch my self falling into those sexist thoughts but hopefully not to often.

I guess the rule I try to use is when involved with anybody of either sex, treat them with respect and try to be polite, find out what they already know if you are working with them in any way. I have worked with lots of men who know little or nothing about what they are doing. I get frustrated as a guy when people in stores think I know something when I don't and I've told them I don't and they still will not explain it to me because I should know it, happens a lot too. Nothing drives me crazy more than guys who act like they know all about something when they obviously don't. Never have met a woman I can remember who did that.

Good discussion.
Old 26-09-2013, 11:00   #71

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Hey, I'm an "old white guy". I can't help it, unless I do myself in, and then I'll be a dead old white guy.

But I can and do try to not base any of my interactions with others on that unavoidable status. I was brought up to respect women. My life experiences have taught me that there are plenty of reasons to do so. I've met women who were better sailors than me, better physicists than me, better mechanics than me and so on. I do my best to judge folks on performance and not by gender or other stereotyping factors.

Am I always successful at this? Probably not, but I give it a shot. To be honest, high heels and false nails tend to make it harder for me to be non-judgmental when I meet a female fellow sailor... but then a bloke wearing a "captain's hat" gets the same sort of treatment! I suspect that none of us are immune to such thoughts, but we can all try to not let them drive our interactions with other people... it will improve our lives!

An amusing example: Friends of ours hired a diesel mechanic in a major Australian city environment. On about his third visit to the boat, he arrived dressed in a summer frock, wearing high heels and with makeup and a wig... and carrying his tool box. "Holy ****!" they said, but watched as he took off the heels, put coveralls over the frock and got down to work. Continued to do a competent job and they were happy with his efforts. They admitted nearly firing him at first glance, but were able to overcome the gender shock and in the end enjoyed the experience. Perhaps not exactly the same thing that Diverchick was talking about but a case where ignoring a unusual sort of gender prejudice was beneficial... and it was a hoot to witness!

A final thought: in the long-term cruising fleet one finds a great many female sailor/cruisers who are competent in non-traditional roles. In fact, virtually all of the successful cruising women are such to some degree, and we are fortunate to be in their company.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 26-09-2013, 13:00   #72

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
So you get the best and worste of both worlds . Good on ya, I wouldn't want to be a man for all the tea in China!!
Mostly the best! I would of preferred female, but we have to live the life we are dealt. I thank God, I living in a country and time that allows being the gender I prefer. I/we made the best of it having 7 children, 23 grand children and 4 great grand children which I would not change for all the tea in China. Today gender preference is not dependant of generic sex. Don’t confuse a personals genetic sex with their gender preference.

Boating use to be male dominate but with the more equality of pay/jobs and auto/modernization of boats it is becoming less male dominate. A female can afford, maintain and handling many auto modernized boats. OH! My favorite song, is “Man I feel like a woman” by Shania Twain
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 13:09   #73

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post

Rebels a great poster and I'm sure he didn't mean to come across as it could be taken. I was a bit surprised a bit, but I always give the benefit of doubt when ones intentions are different from what sometimes comes out.
But if he thinks about it for a sec he'll realize one day that he will be an old White guy too.
So, Tellie . . . since Rebelheart is a "great poster" should he not be held responsibile for what he says? And, if his "intentions are different from what sometimes comes out"-- perhaps he should think more carefully before he writes. It reminds me of the famous punch line in the poem "To a Louse" by the Scottish poet Robert Burns:

"And would some Power the small gift give us
To see ourselves as others see us !" Robert Burns 1786

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_a_Louse
And, so that there is no misunderstanding that I am engaged in infantile name calling, there is no intended connection between the name of the poem and Rebelheart. It just happens to be the subject of the poem with these famous and engaging lines. Good luck, good sailing and may our future posts be both thoughtful and thought provoking.
rognvald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2013, 13:13   #74
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
I thank God, I living in a country and time that allows being the gender I prefer.
What do you wear on the boat?
Old 26-09-2013, 13:39   #75

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
Mostly the best! I would of preferred female, but we have to live the life we are dealt. I thank God, I living in a country and time that allows being the gender I prefer. I/we made the best of it having 7 children, 23 grand children and 4 great grand children which I would not change for all the tea in China. Today gender preference is not dependant of generic sex. Don’t confuse a personals genetic sex with their gender preference.

Boating use to be male dominate but with the more equality of pay/jobs and auto/modernization of boats it is becoming less male dominate. A female can afford, maintain and handling many auto modernized boats. OH! My favorite song, is “Man I feel like a woman” by Shania Twain
I have a close personal friend who is just now able to be himself, or rather, herself . There is so much I don't know or understand, shrug, after calling my drag queen friend a transvestite he was very insistent I understand the difference. And as it turns out, there is a big difference! who knew? He still loves me, though I stumble around rather clumsily in his world.

So yes, I get it all a bit muddled. Also, no matter how I try to play it cool, it does take getting used to. Maybe that is how men feel sometimes when they see a woman in a role they hadn't before. And how women feel when they see a man in a role they hadn't before. Though some seem to handle it better than others.

To keep this boat topicI was just noting to my hubby that there were no female crew aboard the Oracle. Just sayin.