Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2013, 17:50   #121

Boat: PETERSON 44
Well now I must confess. I often use my good looks to coerce marina staff and contractors to realize what I expect. Sometimes I wear these low hung hip hugging jeans so tight my legs go numb and a dress shirt that won't quite tuck in. Yep I get better service. Not complaining at all. Seen some dumb people and it doesn't seem that gender has any determination. Just found that when I'm right and totally sexy I'm more right. Yes I do find that there is a low level humm that is a preconceived expectation given my stunning looks. Usually I can get on with business by being brilliant humorous and engaging. So long as I get from port to port I don't care.
There is a deeper layer of weird stuff that happens with race gender stuff that gets quite complicated. If your intelligent it won't matter much. If your looking for employment in my neighborhood. You best be Afro Asian female member of glstn.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 17:59   #122

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Sexist views...

It takes all kind of people...but, what will you do when your looks fade away? Judge Judy once said: "Beauty is temporary, but brains are forever...enjoy what you have!"

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 27-09-2013, 18:42   #123

Thinking when my looks fail me I'll twerk dance on the pier. Guess that will get me a few good meals, a night at the dock at least.
Old 27-09-2013, 18:52   #124

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Thinking when my looks fail me I'll twerk dance on the pier. Guess that will get me a few good meals, a night at the dock at least.
Sexy!!!! Lolol. Just the thought of twerking on the dock gives me a great laugh as I trudge into work for some Friday night fun. Trying to imagine my neighbors faces if I randomly started twerking....ha!!
Old 27-09-2013, 18:57   #125

I am sure that the women on this board who have worked at West Marine are well versed in nautical knowledge, but they may be the exception rather than the rule if the cross section of West employees that I have encountered in South Florida is in any way indicative of the staff at large. The young girl who claimed to be a seasoned mariner who grew up in South Florida, & then didn't know where Fowey Rocks light was located, was a good example. The woman who tried to help me select a VHF & was surprised to find out that different brands of VHF could talk to each other was an even better example.

I don't ask to speak to a man just because a woman tries to help me at West, but when I get counterproductive responses from one individual, I do ask for another. For some reason, most of the people at West that have been unable to help me have been female. The difference has been so noticeable that it makes me wonder if some of the people who do the hiring there may have skewed standards based on gender & looks. It would not surprise me if another person who has had similar experiences may come to be a bit pre-judgmental after being dissatisfied a few times by people who share a common trait, regardless of what that trait may be. I am not saying that this is the right thing to do. I am just saying that there may be some logical basis behind some people's seemingly-inappropriate requests.

...Now donning my Nomex suit & waiting for the flames to begin.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 19:03   #126

The yard I am at just posted a sign contractors must sign in, shoes must be worn at all times and no twerking.
Dammit they read CF.
Old 28-09-2013, 02:38   #127
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
Tell that to the blue eyed 22 year old buddy of your's that gets propositioned by women daily. Or the short guy that is a target for teenage bullies.

Plumage...
In both cases it is also attitude and behaviour that makes the difference. For some it is not considered "fair" to have to put in some effort for self (especially when it involves thinking ) - and sometimes that also involves having to take a different approach to others! (s'not fair )......but that's how life is.

Me is a (getting!) older white fella - plenty of places I shop at in spite of the customer service etc......but I don't take being "helped" (lol) by morons personally as am pretty sure it is neither gender nor race specific. With some folks the best they can do is not very good / not good enough.......but that's how life is.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 03:07   #128

Boat: Avon Rib, 65hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
It takes all kind of people...but, what will you do when your looks fade away? Judge Judy once said: "Beauty is temporary, but brains are forever...enjoy what you have!"

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
How would she know, has she ever had either?
Cheers,
Mac
Old 28-09-2013, 15:25   #129
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragerdrive View Post
As an old white guy, like newt I have some problems from being raised and being trained to treat women with respect in the rural west. I always try to be polite and most of the times it works out OK. I do limit some of my actions like him.

There seems to be a problem I can't resolve. I had to address my teachers and all women when I didn't know their last name as "Mam". It is simply a reflex at this point. I get yelled at fairly often "I'm not a mam!!!" maybe if I get beat on enough I can unlearn it but so far no luck.

Anybody else have this problem? In fact I don't even understand it I guess it is just a word that is out of favor with many women.
Mmmm...from the sounds of this and other earlier posts it seems either the Captain here is out of touch with modern feminism or the practices and habits of his youth (in Wisconsin) are still more accepted in this part of the world. Holding open doors and vacating seats on public transport and the rest are so ingrained they just happen...and, so far, with no signs of angry yelling in response! The Admiral certainly doesn't mind such (apparently?) sexist behavior...and that's probably all that really matters for us!

That said, advancing age does lead to situations where as a young man the Captain would vacate a seat, but now with joints that ache after long days, he may still remain seated when a much younger female in obviously good health remains standing...unless she was pregnant of course...
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 15:46   #130

I give my seat up fir elders. My rule they have more grey hair then me, they have lost all their hair, they have more hair in their ear then on their head , missing a significant body part, I can corner them and sell them on the ultimate hair removal tool. The no no. Helps supplement the cruising kitty.
Old 28-09-2013, 16:43   #131

Re: tellie's #86.

When our son was in grade school in the early 90's, there were two support groups: The "School" Association and "The Dad's Club." The "School" association raised money big time for all sorts of materials that weren't covered in yearly school tax stuff from the State. The Dad's Club did "Big Boy" work around the school, like trellis' to cover the outdoor lunch area, planted beds for flowers and veggies, building a new playground structure - that kinda thing and both organizations had been working for decades with no conflicts.

Comes a time that the school is going to be completely refurbished. As treasurer of the Dad's Club, I suggested that we NOT build anything for the next few years, because whatever we'd build would be torn down when the building got renovated. We agreed to save the $$ we raised each year and that when the renovation was complete, there would, of course, be a laundry list of needs from the Principal and the teachers that hadn't been covered in the building budget.

Once the "School" Association got wind of the fact that we'd "squirreled away" over $25K they made some BIG noises about coming to "get our $$!!!" We had a few contentious meetings with them, and we finally explained to them that 1) it was none of their business; and 2) that it was perfectly legal under our constitution and by-laws.

We eventually used the $$ to buy a slew of brand new computers for the library.

The "School" Association has since been known as The "Girls'" Club.

It works both ways.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 16:52   #132

Some brilliant donor just gave 500 books to a school. Didn't ask if they wanted them or if they had space. They have to be culled and probably ditched or given away.
Meanwhile I keep asking my kids schools to use 2 emails so both mom and dad are getting correspondence. They just can't seem to get this. Yes I want to be involved but if you only communicate with one parent it is hard.
Old 28-09-2013, 17:25   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
It's stereotyping.
90% of woman out there no nothing about boats or industrial jargon. So most men, and women treat women as if they know nothing, which is usually the case. I consider it an honor to meet a woman that can stand up to the industrial labors. But they are far and few from existing.

As a young man I searched hi and low for a gal that could work and play along side me and share common interests. But that was a lost cause. So I ended up with one that allows me to go out on my own w/o conflict.

As a Machinist I only met one woman that worked in a machine shop and yet she was still only doing production work. But I have met a couple welder/fabricators, as well as my Mother during WWII.

It's a rare thing to see a woman get her hands greasy let alone have callous hands. Most are into beautification and dress up attitudes. Then comes food and cute things. It's in the program.
Your correct! I sold my 36ft Catamaran to 2 lesbians from PA over 17 months ago . They just let it sit completely unattended here in Florida closed up thru 2 full rainy seasons. Of course it went to hell . Since the purchase they have had a fallen out and have new 'partners'. They are totally uninterested in anything nautical--have done zip studying sailing, navigation , or anything related to what they need to know. A friend of mine helped them take the boat to a live aboard marina during which they ran aground twice -mostly because they wont pay attention . They claim they are "going to the Bahamas". I put several years of work in the boat and hate to see it go down---but its on its way!!!!!!!
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 17:32   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
However female/girls have/are acting, doing and wearing more things that are/where considered boy/male. The two genders are blending in many areas, but girls more so.
yes and no by my sampling.... Today I see alot of young women dressed like hookers were dressed not that long ago. Not so much in 501 jeans as years ago is my impression... I had thought 6" heels would certainly been completely gone by now.... but no... they are back with a vengence. It's a vane world I guess.... seems you have to have a nose ring, tongue stud, tat's everywhere and 6" heels to be "normal". Never have been into attracting attention to myself so much I need to change my body... Oh well, this too shall pass? To each his/her own...
AS Plato (I think) No one knows what women want--including women However down thru the ages one thing has remained constant--and that is that above all women care the most about how they look---
even aged fugly ones--however we men don't complain about this as we want them to get all possible help....LOLLOLLOL
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 19:25   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
Your correct! I sold my 36ft Catamaran to 2 lesbians from PA over 17 months ago . They just let it sit completely unattended here in Florida closed up thru 2 full rainy seasons. Of course it went to hell . Since the purchase they have had a fallen out and have new 'partners'. They are totally uninterested in anything nautical--have done zip studying sailing, navigation , or anything related to what they need to know. A friend of mine helped them take the boat to a live aboard marina during which they ran aground twice -mostly because they wont pay attention . They claim they are "going to the Bahamas". I put several years of work in the boat and hate to see it go down---but its on its way!!!!!!!
If you think that they will be looking to let that cat go for cheap, I might be able to help find a good home for it.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote