Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-09-2013, 11:34   #106
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Sexist views...

However female/girls have/are acting, doing and wearing more things that are/where considered boy/male. The two genders are blending in many areas, but girls more so.
yes and no by my sampling.... Today I see alot of young women dressed like hookers were dressed not that long ago. Not so much in 501 jeans as years ago is my impression... I had thought 6" heels would certainly been completely gone by now.... but no... they are back with a vengence. It's a vane world I guess.... seems you have to have a nose ring, tongue stud, tat's everywhere and 6" heels to be "normal". Never have been into attracting attention to myself so much I need to change my body... Oh well, this too shall pass? To each his/her own...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 11:41   #107

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragerdrive View Post
As an old white guy, like newt I have some problems from being raised and being trained to treat women with respect in the rural west. I always try to be polite and most of the times it works out OK. I do limit some of my actions like him. There seems to be a problem I can't resolve. I had to address my teachers and all women when I didn't know their last name as "Mam". It is simply a reflex at this point. I get yelled at fairly often "I'm not a mam!!!" maybe if I get beat on enough I can unlearn it but so far no luck. Anybody else have this problem? In fact I don't even understand it I guess it is just a word that is out of favor with many women.
What I said to the gentleman who held my door and apologized was something to this effect: be the person you are proud to be. If someone is silly enough to yell about it just smile and tell them you were raised to respect people and walk away.

I do this all the time as a southerner in a northern US attitude world. If I can look at myself and not be embarrassed at the end of the day then so be it. I also know my parents would be proud if they were present.

Call me ma'am anytime! I miss it!
SC

Old 27-09-2013, 11:47   #108

Boat: Swan, 1968, 36'

Thanks SC Your comment makes sense, I appreciate it. I don't feel bad about it but it is kind of a shock sometimes.
Old 27-09-2013, 12:10   #109

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

It must be from younger females as they tend to use Ms. However, Mam still seems to be the norm. So on the younger might try Ms. and the older Mam.

My grandchildren are expect to say, Mam or Sir to everybody they do not know, and open door for females and elderly. That is just the way it is. I still open doors for females and elderly as that is what I was taught.
Old 27-09-2013, 12:12   #110

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

I have yet to see someone mentioning the differences in attitudes between blue collar and white collar workers. There is never ever any justification to be rude to anyone. Much of the experiences mentioned so far, are dealings with blue collar folks. Correct me if I should see it otherwise.

Mauritz
No issues working with blue or white collar folks.
Old 27-09-2013, 12:28   #111

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragerdrive View Post
As an old white guy, like newt I have some problems from being raised and being trained to treat women with respect in the rural west. I always try to be polite and most of the times it works out OK. I do limit some of my actions like him.

There seems to be a problem I can't resolve. I had to address my teachers and all women when I didn't know their last name as "Mam". It is simply a reflex at this point. I get yelled at fairly often "I'm not a mam!!!" maybe if I get beat on enough I can unlearn it but so far no luck.

Anybody else have this problem? In fact I don't even understand it I guess it is just a word that is out of favor with many women.

I have always been a tomboy, as the american saying goes, so as I got older the first few times someone addressed me as ma'am rather took me by surprise and I would inadvertently look over my shoulder expecting them to have been addressing someone else. I didn't mind it actually and it was much better than being addressed as 'young lady', a term usually reserved for when I did something wrong.
Old 27-09-2013, 12:30   #112

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Oh I guess I just have to tell this story..I had bought a truck for my fiances 16yr old son, a beater that needed some work I expected him to do/help with. In any case, the truck had a flat tire and needed to be moved, so my partner went to change it. Her mother was there, who I had never met before, and she called me on the phone and was angry and said why the hell was I not changing the tire? What kind of man was I making her daughter change the tire?

Old white men are not the only sexist people.
Old 27-09-2013, 12:42   #113

Location: Currently in South Pacific. Home Port: Vienna, Austria
Boat: Celestial, Stay'sl-Rigged Sloop, 48 ft

What's with all the references to "Old White Men"?
I guess maybe the shoe fits some blokes, but
according to my birth certificate I'm white, male and only 62...
Middle aged, maybe, but old? Nah..

Hat. Coat.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 12:51   #114
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You refer to yourself as 'Diverchick71" and complain of possible sexism? Good one!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 13:38   #115

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
This thread is more about assumptions based on appearance than sexism. That type of "assuming behavior" is certainly not gender dependent nor limited to an age group.

Pack behavior has tendrils everywhere. The "I want to be treated like a man pack" knows that all men are neither created nor treated equally.
Old 27-09-2013, 14:19   #116
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I don't mind being called a mam, I mark it as respect. But I do remember the first time someone called me mam, I was 31, dang I felt old! This kid was 15 so just being polite.
Old 27-09-2013, 15:45   #117
Armchair Bucketeer

How "You" act generally determines the reaction you get from others. If what you are doing is consistently getting a result you don't like then it's down to you to try a different approach because communication is a two way thing.

And that does of course apply to male, female, animal, mineral or vegetable (pick own category ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 16:04   #118

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Tell that to the blue eyed 22 year old buddy of your's that gets propositioned by women daily. Or the short guy that is a target for teenage bullies.

Plumage...
Old 27-09-2013, 18:18   #119

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
You refer to yourself as 'Diverchick71" and complain of possible sexism? Good one!
Discuss, not complain. AND in the women's forum. (Note to self...not just women read the women's forums.). I believe I've said about 5 times I wasn't upset. If I get truly upset about someone asking if I had help, I don't think I have the temperament for this lifestyle.

Funny, back when I made up my first email address (and this was in the years that AOL charged by the HOUR) I never realized using my birth year would make me feel older. Oh well. It's all good. It's stuck. It's been my email/forum name for years. No reason to change it now.

I'm a bit surprised that there are so many opinions, honestly. Next time I start a thread, I think I'll choose a benign topic like the Bumfuzzles. :-)
Old 27-09-2013, 18:35   #120

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Bumfuzzles...comes with sea air, mountain air or all purpose air, just for breathing?

Mauritz
Fries are extra!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: