Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 19:25   #286

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Sexist Views...

Do you consider yourself having a sense of humor?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 19:30   #287

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Do you consider yourself having a sense of humor?
Absolutely!!! And men and women, and the differences between them, are freaking hilarious sometimes.
Old 06-06-2014, 20:05   #288

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Absolutely!!! And men and women, and the differences between them, are freaking hilarious sometimes.
Wifey B: I wonder if this prime rib came from a heifer or steer and if there's any difference in taste? Just a random thought. See the crazy things you people make me think about....hehe....
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 20:29   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I wonder if this prime rib came from a heifer or steer and if there's any difference in taste? Just a random thought. See the crazy things you people make me think about....hehe....
You probably can't tell by the taste. You'll need to check the hormone content. If after eating it you have an almost irrepressible desire to drink beer, pump iron, and drive fast (preferably to the shooting range), it was a steer. If, on the other hand you either want to cry for no discernible reason, or you can't get to the nearest mall fast enough and you already have your debit card out and ready, it was a heifer.

See....sense of humor.
Old 06-06-2014, 20:37   #290

Quote:
You probably can't tell by the taste. You'll need to check the hormone content. If after eating it you have an almost irrepressible desire to drink beer, pump iron, and drive fast (preferably to the shooting range), it was a steer. If, on the other hand you either want to cry for no discernible reason, or you can't get to the nearest mall fast enough and you already have your debit card out and ready, it was a heifer.

See....sense of humor.
Well, actually we're all kind of stuffed. Not sure what we're going to do next....but about to head back to the boat. What does it say if we all want to get in the hot tub?

This is toooooooooooooooooooo complicated.
Old 06-06-2014, 22:12   #291
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:

See....sense of humor.
I was a heifer vagood attempt anyway.

Coops.
Old 06-06-2014, 22:22   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I was a heifer vagood attempt anyway.

Coops.
I'm not so sure you're not steering her wrong.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:07   #293

Quote:
I'm not so sure you're not steering her wrong.
Now that's funny.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:46   #294
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
To add a little trivia to the mix I'd say you would need to compare the heifer with a bull. All the steers had a little sex change operation when they were young! ....'just another crazy thing to think about.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:15   #295

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

And the heifers being female and not having calved yet. So perhaps you should add the cow to the mix as well. No one in their right mind would sterilize a cow but the bull………..
Old 07-06-2014, 12:28   #296

Wifey B: Oh well, the prime rib was great. All four of us loved it. My hubby and myself, Jenn and Tabitha. My poor hubby outnumbered....hehe. Then back to the boat.....and dessert....and omg was the dessert incredible last night. We were all so greedy too, gluttonous.
Old 07-06-2014, 14:51   #297

Back to sexism and racism...

It's difficult to discuss this topic without using labels or even getting labeled. I've met people who were "N words." I've met women who were b**ches. Even calling them as I see them doesn't make me a racist or a sexist.

I treat everyone equally, until they prove to me they are undeserving of my respect, or possibly worthy of greater respect. I've met amazing women, and some real nightmares. I've met some of the nicest people of all different shades. I don't care what color you are, all that matters to me is what kind of a person you are.

It's been tough not to generalize - especially after 5 decades of seeing the generalizations be true more often than not. The minute you try to label someone, they surprise the hell out of you.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 15:56   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Back to sexism and racism...

It's difficult to discuss this topic without using labels or even getting labeled. I've met people who were "N words." I've met women who were b**ches. Even calling them as I see them doesn't make me a racist or a sexist.
Wifey B: B...ches, I'd tend to accept but I don't find the N word to ever be acceptable. But then as a female I don't care if you call me a B. But the N word is one that is offensive to a large group of people. Having never been black I can't feel that personally. I can say I empathize but I really can't fully. For that reason and in respect for all my black (whether African American or other) friends, I would never use that word in any form. I can think of plenty of other words to use if I feel the need for one. Here's the difference to me. The B word disrespects the one female you're using it toward. Whether you intend to or not, the N word disrespects an entire race of people. Now, I do know the argument that blacks frequently use it toward other blacks. That's true, but as a white person I'm not using it ever in any way. I've not used that word and never will. My father did use it. I'm sure you could find words to use instead.

Words can have connotations to people far beyond anything we intend and be hurtful in so many ways. I've had a friend with a serious thyroid problem brought to tears more than once with words used toward her or about her because of her weight.

Now me, I've been called everything and no words are going to take me down. I figure they're more a reflection of the person using them.

And a favorite line of my hubby: You never raise yourself up by putting someone else down.
Old 07-06-2014, 16:46   #299
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

OK, - enough! Yes I am a Numismatist and I'm officially out of the closet, -no reason to hold back with any of the "N" word references.

What a relief by admission!
Old 07-06-2014, 16:53   #300
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Wifey B: B..

And a favorite line of my hubby: You never raise yourself up by putting someone else down.
I feel that words are really contextual and I prefer to understand the intent before parsing the language.

Context can be complicated...

For example...I was seriously dating this girl in high school

Her father was a powerful and protective Executive Chairman.

When tested by her father about my attitude towards women .....My youthfully inspired "line" ....

"If you think women are 'inferior'.. then you are guaranteed to end up with an inferior woman"

Both he and his wife loved the answer...... but the truth was my raging hormones (and also my girlfriend's) would have made me say anything.

But I still believe that self fulfilling prophecy till today.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote