Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 15:39   #271
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Sexist Views...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I believe everyone really are sexist, just like everyone is racist and profilers. Doesn't make them bad people, makes them human. I question anyone who tries to say that they aren't!

BTW - if you add what kind of boat and anchor you own to the mix all bets are on

Of course your right, but it ain't PC to admit it, sort of like looking at a pretty lady and your wife sees you and asks if you think shes pretty, whats your answer going to be?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 16:17   #272

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Sexist Views...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I believe everyone really are sexist, just like everyone is racist and profilers. Doesn't make them bad people, makes them human. I question anyone who tries to say that they aren't!

BTW - if you add what kind of boat and anchor you own to the mix all bets are on
+1

Mt feelings exactly. I tire of the righteousness of those that claim they are not racist nor sexist.

I agree everyone is racist to a degree and without doubt many societies and countries are very much so. Will we ever see on racism in this world or no sexism. Never. Its just unrealistic. Should every individual aspire to be better - yes. Pass a few more laws

It is a matter of degree and how we treat people as we see them and want to be treated and respect others views.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 16:53   #273

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
+1

Mt feelings exactly. I tire of the righteousness of those that claim they are not racist nor sexist.

I agree everyone is racist to a degree and without doubt many societies and countries are very much so. Will we ever see on racism in this world or no sexism. Never. Its just unrealistic. Should every individual aspire to be better - yes. Pass a few more laws

It is a matter of degree and how we treat people as we see them and want to be treated and respect others views.

Cheers
Wifey B: It's how you define it. If you mean that we notice, then yes. Even if you mean we're aware of cultural differences, then yes. But there are some of us who don't allow the knowledge or awareness to translate into how we treat or respect them.

My hubby most definitely recognizes the differences between men and women. But I can say without hesitation, that when he worked in the corporate world he never let a person's sex influence hiring decisions.

One of the things that gets overlooked is the true differences either in physique or the way brains may function, chemical and hormonal releases, influences of different cultures and areas of the world. There are real differences vs. perceived differences. Medically some of the differences are very important in learning why some people are more prone to certain diseases than others. As to the genetic or environmental influences that doesn't make one better than another. But then that's an entirely different subject where we start judging superiority in one area or another as somehow making one a superior human being. Just as wrong when we judge on education or wealth or height or weight or anything like that.

I don't consider basic awareness to be racist or sexist, but it needs to be based on reality and not stereotypes, and the biggest issue is how one then treats and respects others.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 16:58   #274

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post

I don't have to be sexist to recognize sexist behavior.
Are you sure that's not a sexist statement or am I being racist?

Please be careful to quote correctly. As you read post 269, you will see that these are not my words, S. Force
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 17:00   #275

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Of course your right, but it ain't PC to admit it, sort of like looking at a pretty lady and your wife sees you and asks if you think shes pretty, whats your answer going to be?
My answer is..."Is who pretty"?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 17:06   #276
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
My answer is..."Is who pretty"?

good one, mine is "not as pretty as you"
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 17:10   #277

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> It is a matter of degree and how we treat people ...

+10

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 17:11   #278
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

I don't consider basic awareness to be racist or sexist, but it needs to be based on reality and not stereotypes, and the biggest issue is how one then treats and respects others.
I certainly agree with this and your earlier statement identifying a need to dress in respect of other cultures or conditions. Most of us have dressed in a manner to influence others. I found that, when I was in my early twenties and teaching high school students, it was to my advantage to dress more formally. I chose to wear a tie to further separate myself from my students who were fairly close to my age.

At the same time, if someone were of a different culture and not dressed appropriately to match my customs, I would hope to be very understanding and accepting.
Old 06-06-2014, 17:23   #279

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

The classic definition of racism or sexism - any "ism" is that you use a position of power to deny the victim some right or opportunity. Making inappropriate comments or ogling someone wouldn't automatically be considered racist or sexist when using the classic definition. Bigotry, misogyny - those terms would be more literally correct.

Not ever having been in a position of power to deny someone their right to free speech or association or prevent them from getting a job means I am not literally a racist or sexist pig. I know I am putting way too fine a point on it and also understand that there are legitimate counterarguments.

I am a white anglo-saxon male who works in an office staffed primarily by African American women. I share an office with 2 women. I have worked at this agency for 24 years. My boss is a woman. My primary care doctor (by choice - I once had to fight to keep her when my insurance plan changed) for the past 20 years has been a woman of Pakistani descent. My wife is a woman.

Does that mean I don't have politically incorrect thoughts? Nope. Still human.
But I do not, and have not, acted in a way to deny anybody their basic rights as a human being. I may have occasional inappropriate thoughts but that is not an accurate description of racism or sexism, IMO
Old 06-06-2014, 17:27   #280

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> I may have occasional inappropriate thoughts

I have them all of the time
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 17:27   #281
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I'm Guilty of being a Sexist.... Sorry can't help it!
My whole life I have been observing and celebrating the differences.
Professionally I would hire someone based on their abilities to work with me as crew. But in a tight knit liveaboard community of about 16 people... I looked at the personal chemistry of how the departments would gel as a team.

When assessing this... I admit that preconceived notions of Venus/Mars compatibilities came into play.
Was it the deciding factor? NO... but I admit to considering it...

Sorry, hard to avoid the truth about your conditioning.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 17:39   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
ogling someone wouldn't automatically be considered racist or sexist when using the classic definition.
Wifey B: Oh....I'm relieved....cause i've been known to ogle girls myself. In fact, one of our best friends just arrived and I'm ogling her right now. Ok, I know, too much info, but things needed to be lightened up a bit. I'm going to change the term though, I'm just admiring Jennifer's beauty. hehe.
Old 06-06-2014, 17:39   #283

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

With the Admiral looking over my shoulder I have to admit to some impure thoughts but can't get carried away.

I don't think what you are doing is necessarily sexist. You are engaging in group dynamics. In such a tight spot as the crew of a cruising vessel, it can be the difference between harmony and homicide. In a business climate, not so much.
Old 06-06-2014, 18:14   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Professionally I would hire someone based on their abilities to work with me as crew. But in a tight knit liveaboard community of about 16 people... I looked at the personal chemistry of how the departments would gel as a team.
You're hiring employees and roommates at the same time. It's that complicated. And personal interaction is key. But then even in business it's important. Just many times more complicated on a boat.

There are some very good crew persons who would be very poor fits for us. They've be unhappy. We try to be completely honest in telling them the good and what some might perceive as the bad. Generally if it's a bad match, they should realize it in the interview at the same time you do. It's fine to say, "I don't think you'd really be happy working for me" and they agreeing. The amount of time you spend together is huge.
Old 06-06-2014, 19:00   #285
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Are you sure that's not a sexist statement or am I being racist?
Ah interesting question, Can I be sexist by recognizing sexist behavior. Well recognizing sexist behavior does not rule out being sexist. But then again just being able to recognize a behavior does not preclude that someone is.

For example, My dad being from the south would use the N word now and then. I recognize that my dad was racist, but as I've not used the N word and even had many friends who were of African descent, in this case my recognizing someone being a racist does not automatically make me a racist too.

By the same token, I can recognize someone in an abusive relationship, does not automatically make me an abusive person or a victim.

So while I cannot preclude that someone might consider me sexist, I do not really consider myself one.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote