Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 15:03   #241

Boat: Various
Re: Sexist Views...

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
a fact?

As a Dr with 2 female colleagues, I just took a quick look at the ratio of male patients to provider in our clinic. Seems they outnumber me with male patients.
Then that's great and surprising to hear. I don't know where your practice is. I do know the practices I've been to. In the last one in NC, there were 8 male primary doctors, 3 female. The female had no male patients except when they filled in when the patient's regular doctor was out.

And I was 41 years old and before that had probably had 8 primary physicians, all male.

I'm glad to hear your practice is different. Oh and I'm very pleased to see more have crossed that barrier than I knew. Seems I was the one in the dark ages. Just where I'd been.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 15:03   #242

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Sexist attitudes are not about age.

When I was in engineering I had to work harder just to be taken serious. Then there were the contractors on job sites. Luckily after a while they figured out I actually knew a thing or two, most of the time.

The last company I worked for had a designer check all my work, with me having a PE license. The only reason I stayed is they were the only people with engineering work in the area at the start of the recession. Really I was a glorified "cad monkey" as my buddy there with a masters in engineering said. He was one too, "cad monkey" that is. We are doing 3D CAD, which is all the rage nowadays. That company ruined me on engineering. Never Again!
That's really sad. I have an ex-GF (amicable ex) who is/was a mining geologist. The rampant sexism in that field drove her out of it, and she had an honors degree from one of the premier geological mining universities in the world.
Old 04-06-2014, 15:04   #243

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Quote:
a fact?

As a Dr with 2 female colleagues, I just took a quick look at the ratio of male patients to provider in our clinic. Seems they outnumber me with male patients.
Well ya, who wants to show thier junk to a guy? (sorry that was a bit sexist and homophobic....and said jokingly)
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 15:06   #244

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well.. in a newspaper survey recently men who's wives earned more than they did were asked what their sex lives were like
Over 54% said 'Hot' or 'Great'..
When men who earned more than their wives were asked the same question less than 40% had the same response..
Seems like equality is creeping in.. better wages.. better sex..
Vive la Egalite...

Or am I being sexist...??
When the missus is working long hours in order to earn more than hubby, hubby has more time to "play away" so obviously HIS sex life s better.

They should have asked the wives
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 15:08   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
Well ya, who wants to show thier junk to a guy? (sorry that was a bit sexist and homophobic....and said jokingly)
Yes it was, but what about massages. I've had lots of massages. But only by females. That could be considered the same. It's just how one has done things.

That is one thing about this thread, it's been handled constructively even in disagreement and it's made us all think. Maybe even learn.
Old 04-06-2014, 15:10   #246
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Then that's great and surprising to hear. I don't know where your practice is. I do know the practices I've been to. In the last one in NC, there were 8 male primary doctors, 3 female. The female had no male patients except when they filled in when the patient's regular doctor was out.

And I was 41 years old and before that had probably had 8 primary physicians, all male.

I'm glad to hear your practice is different. Oh and I'm very pleased to see more have crossed that barrier than I knew. Seems I was the one in the dark ages. Just where I'd been.
Im in the UK. I see a progressiveness here that is lacking elsewhere. Some small enclaves still have divisions in attitude but not so much.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 15:11   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
That's really sad. I have an ex-GF (amicable ex) who is/was a mining geologist. The rampant sexism in that field drove her out of it, and she had an honors degree from one of the premier geological mining universities in the world.
When I was starting my career, many women were uncomfortable taking long business trips with one or many men and them the only woman. I don't see that any more. It's become ordinary.
Old 04-06-2014, 15:13   #248

Quote:
Im in the UK. I see a progressiveness here that is lacking elsewhere. Some small enclaves still have divisions in attitude but not so much.
Wifey B: That's great. It happens gradually. US is honestly somewhere in the middle. There certainly are countries where the division is extreme. I've only flown through the UK oh and spent a couple of days accompanying hubby on business trip. But we will be back in a few years. By boat.
Old 04-06-2014, 15:14   #249
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I should be the stereotypical male chauvinist being retired military and being from the Deep South and all, but my primary care physician is female.
My opinion, although I bet it's sexist is that on average a female Dr is better than a male, because in my opinion they had to work harder to get there.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 15:15   #250

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Not a sexist comment to say few men go to female primary physicians. Just stating fact. There's a sex division that has existed where men go to male primary physicians. Women go to male and female. And I admit it felt odd to break through that stereotype. It was just a different experience. But then it felt just like any other doctor.

It is interesting for me
There are some sex related sterotypes here (reading this thread I'm coming to the conclusion - much less than in Your country), but not of this kind.
I think about 50 % of doctors in Poland are female (it is true for at least most specializations, I do not have a statistics at hand and I'm writing what I can see around), and probably almost nobody care at all about the sex of the doctor. Only once I heard a discussion of this kind - between ladies: it appeared that half of them preferred to go to the male gynecologist and the other half to female one.

For most of my life I had female primary physicians - but realized it just now

Cheers,

Tomasz
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 15:19   #251
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I should be the stereotypical male chauvinist being retired military and being from the Deep South and all, but my primary care physician is female.
My opinion, although I bet it's sexist is that on average a female Dr is better than a male, because in my opinion they had to work harder to get there.
Your right. It is sexist. The work is equally hard and equally ball busting with or without balls. No mercy is shown to either sex and it is based purely on ability. Once you start with the training there is no time to be sexist... its everyone for themselves.

Once qualified, male and females face different attitudes depending on speciality and location. In my experience, women find it easier to get jobs than the men. Go figure.

However, a good dr is a good dr.
Old 04-06-2014, 15:23   #252
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well my sister is a dentist, there were 117 guys and her in her dental class in Emory, for whatever you want to ascribe it to, it seemed that at least some of her instructors rode her harder, plus it was a lot harder for her to be anonymous as it was for the other 117 guys.
Now this was 30 or so years ago, maybe closer to 40
Old 04-06-2014, 15:23   #253
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It has also been my experience, that even in overtly male dominated societies, that women medical practitioners are a valued part of the community.
I hop in and out of Spain frequently, and it is VERY macho and yet, men go along to their female drs quite happily. I believe Europe is ahead in this regard.
However.... on the street macho rules.
weird.
Old 04-06-2014, 15:24   #254
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Down in South America it's very common for women to run businesses, the attitude is they are more trustworthy
Old 04-06-2014, 18:17   #255

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Equal rights under the law is where we should be at. And there are some fields wherein women earn equal pay for equal work, too. Yes, there are oppressive lingering attitudes in societies. But where equal opportunities exist, those who are best suited for occupations can get there. Obviously this is not true world wide, and what I think of as progress is slow.

The country in which you do encounter sexism while cruising will partially determine how you deal with it. Here's a little story about a woman being on the wrong end of sexism while coming through the Suez Canal a few years back. Some time after they began, the assistant pilot kept touching the skipper's wife's breasts. She did not want/like it, and he wouldn't leave off when asked. Here they are in a foreign country, with two male strangers aboard. They have some sort of business contract. How would you handle the situation as a man? as a woman? Especially if you had not anticipated this kind of problem in advance, and so had a plan in mind.

.......................She barricaded herself alone in the owner's cabin for the whole transit.
I have often wondered how we would have handled that situation.

Ann