When checking in and out of Mexican ports,
my partner always went in to do so. She's
(very) tall and blond and the men staffing
the offices treated her (very) well. We never
had any of the problems we heard about from other
cruisers.
It's a case where sexism can be used to one's
advantage. (appropriate emoticon here)
We have used a similar process over the years travelling by road in Mexico. You can definitely work latino machismo to your advantage. In a similar vein I avoid interactions with short law enforcement people because I stand 6'7" - short man syndrome is alive and well among border guards and cops.

I think I am more guilty of agism than I am of sexism but I am likely guilty of both. When dealing with any service provider it is possible for both men and women to experience disdain and rudeness. I keep my expectations low and most of the time I am not surprised. Occasionally though I run into exceptional service and often from the most surprising sources. I think it is often the case that the level of respect you receive from service providers depends on the appropriateness of your dress. Overdressing or underdressing can lead to disdainful service depending on the establishment. Show up at a mechanic in a suit and tie and he won't generally respect you. Similarly, show up at an accountant or lawyer's office wearing coveralls and he will (usually) treat you with disdain. It may not be right but its the way the game is played. You may think you can change the world one interaction at a time but its not the hill I want to die on.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 21:19   #137

Boat: Seafarer 34 CB
Re: Sexist views...

It drives me NUTS that nearly every time I go into the marina store someone in there asks me, "oh honey, is he making you work today?" It's my damn boat too, of course I'm working on it. Makes me even more mad when they assume I can't carry my own packages. I can pretty much guarantee that I am stronger than most of the men working there. I did always love when someone who worked in the yard would come by when I was using the table saw or jig saw when my boyfriend wasn't around. They were so confused that I actually knew what the hell I was doing.

Kelley
Sailing Chance | Sailing through the Caribbean | Sailing Chance | Sailing through the Caribbean
facebook.com/sailingchance
Old 29-09-2013, 15:48   #138

Boat: Currently boatless

One of my favorites was being asked "what did he send you in for?" when I walked into a West Marine.

*sigh*
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 16:03   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
according to my birth certificate I'm white, male and only 62...
62 is the new 39. "Remember Jack Benny!"
Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 16:11   #140

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
Your correct! I sold my 36ft Catamaran to 2 lesbians from PA over 17 months ago . They just let it sit completely unattended here in Florida closed up thru 2 full rainy seasons. Of course it went to hell . Since the purchase they have had a fallen out and have new 'partners'. They are totally uninterested in anything nautical--have done zip studying sailing, navigation , or anything related to what they need to know. A friend of mine helped them take the boat to a live aboard marina during which they ran aground twice -mostly because they wont pay attention . They claim they are "going to the Bahamas". I put several years of work in the boat and hate to see it go down---but its on its way!!!!!!!
Your story describes 90% of all boat sales! being female and lesbian have zero bearing on this.
Sorry you had to watch your boat go to pot, it has happened to me too
Old 29-09-2013, 16:50   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
Your correct! I sold my 36ft Catamaran to 2 lesbians from PA over 17 months ago . They just let it sit completely unattended here in Florida closed up thru 2 full rainy seasons. Of course it went to hell . Since the purchase they have had a fallen out and have new 'partners'. They are totally uninterested in anything nautical--have done zip studying sailing, navigation , or anything related to what they need to know. A friend of mine helped them take the boat to a live aboard marina during which they ran aground twice -mostly because they wont pay attention . They claim they are "going to the Bahamas". I put several years of work in the boat and hate to see it go down---but its on its way!!!!!!!
And if they were married, if they could actually marry, when they divorced, the courts would have required their assets split and the boat would have either been sold or gone to the partner who wanted it most. Instead, the boat probably became a pawn with which one partner tried to punish the other. Just like in hetero relationships.

BTW, most boats I've seen run aground had a man at the wheel.
Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 17:27   #142

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post

No doubt. But it is a no-duh as to why.

like most car accidents happen within 25 miles of home. Even the lesbians

I wish more women were like the few here. Would give me more to talk with/about. Instead most are not interested or just have blank looks. They haven't even gotten to "righty tighty" yet.

Most - in my experience anyway.
Old 29-09-2013, 17:33   #143

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

...and, this feller read somewhere...that most car accidents happen within two miles from home...so he moved to a new house, 3 miles from the old home...

Mauritz
Laugh and the world laughs with you...
Old 29-09-2013, 18:18   #144
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I cannot figure were letting a boat go downhill, going aground and sexist views meet. I don't think my boat cares what sex I am, or my relationships to the other, only that I keep the maintenance up.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 19:06   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Your story describes 90% of all boat sales! being female and lesbian have zero bearing on this.
Sorry you had to watch your boat go to pot, it has happened to me too
Au contraie--I cant imagine any men being this stupid with a boat
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 19:58   #146

Mr Leo is a troll.

And I've bought not one, but two ill-cared-for boats, saving them from either idiocy, laziness, or stupidity, however you care to phrase it, but both POs were men...
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 21:16   #147

and your not??
Old 29-09-2013, 21:17   #148

Boat: 28' Bennington
I sure am learning a lot being new in here. LOL
Lespilot57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2013, 21:29   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
And if they were married, if they could actually marry, when they divorced, the courts would have required their assets split and the boat would have either been sold or gone to the partner who wanted it most. Instead, the boat probably became a pawn with which one partner tried to punish the other. Just like in hetero relationships.

NAH- The 2 original partners still own the boat-one came down with her/his? with her/his new friend/partner and the other original partner/owner is due to arrive soon with her/his new friend/partner presumably to occupy the other hull. This will equal things up with 2 people in each hull-and theres plenty of bridgedeck room in the middle in case of overflows. Which will be good as I want to show /tell her/him how things like the holding tank /plumbing works and to get the dinghy motor out the salt water before its ruined and how the daggerboards work. The missing partner really seemed more 'aware' at time they bought boat 17 months ago so maybe she/he will take charge of things nautical. Actually I understand why they bought the boat as it is a way for them to express themselves away from so-called straight society-which is probably one reason I was attracted to ocean boats way back in 1970. (As Jimmy Buffet once said---"Im selling escapism")
Old 29-09-2013, 21:41   #150

By the way -all you west marine shoppers---everything you buy the can be had from DEFENDER far cheaper(and its almost always in stock) plus the sales tax savings pays for the shipping--Ive been avoiding WEST like the plague for about 20 years except for dire emergencies