Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2016, 23:36   #1

Sewing projects for kids

My 12 year old daughter wants to have at it on the sewing machine. We have a sailrite lz1. Any recommendations on good starter projects? I of course would like her to make new sail covers and a couple sail bags, and she wants to cut apart her cloth to re-design them. Neither probably a good first project.

Thanks
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 00:44   #2

Boat: Sandibar 35
Re: Sewing projects for kids

Our 9 year old daughter also loves to sew (at home, no chance of fitting a sewing machine on our boat). Cloth is cheap. At least here you can buy scrap cloth from shops really cheaply by weight so she can do what she pleases. It's bags and pillows so far. Still waiting for that pencil case for navigation tools I asked for
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:13   #3

Stuffied animals or dolls. Can be as simple or complex as you want. Ugly dolls are about as simple as it gets, just two halves sewn together and stuffed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	120137  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:09   #4

Boat: Passport 40

Small blankets for dolls and such...placemat size quilts (dual purpose) simple nine patch squares

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:18   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Why not useful, but easy stuff, like bags and winch covers? They could be stylized like cutsy stuffed dolls etc.

belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:37   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Stuffied animals or dolls. Can be as simple or complex as you want. Ugly dolls are about as simple as it gets, just two halves sewn together and stuffed.
D... Your talent range never ceases to delight...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:20   #7

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Our first daughter, Eulalie is quite likely the youngest girl to circumnavigate all be it not alone. We had a Singer hand crank which was hard to sew your hand to the material with. We let her repurpose many or her outfits and went to great lengths to get her material to build new outfits from scratch. Later she went to a respected fashion design school and is now working as a stylist at a leading department store chain specializing in women's fashion.

Home spun courtesy flags are a great training ground but some of ours had to be flown high up the mast so as not to attract too much scrutiny.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:56   #8

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I used to sew when I was a kid but haven't since - so I guess I'm very like your daughter in terms of skill. I'm doing tote bags just to get my brain working again. It's fun, you can decide your own dimensions, fabric, depth, width, etc. (Can you tell I'm having a ball??)

I may graduate to ugly stuffed animals though, the imagination soars!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:38   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

a friend of mine got a job as a sewing person in a sail loft. the first things he was taught to sew were sailbags, tool bags, bags in general, as those are simple and easy to stitch.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:52   #10

Thanks for all the ideas, we definately don't need any more stuffed animals....maybe she can create some new ones with her eixisting. Flags and small bags are doable lots remnants and a few old tired light sails that could be cut up. Mostly I don't want her to get discouraged, so have her work on some confidance building projects to get stiching down.

Can anyone recommend a good brand of foot switch, our machine came with a generic one with the motor contoled out let and the light plug, its a crackly mess I need to replace, having something easy to control will help her on the machine.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Our first daughter, Eulalie is quite likely the youngest girl to circumnavigate all be it not alone. We had a Singer hand crank which was hard to sew your hand to the material with. We let her repurpose many or her outfits and went to great lengths to get her material to build new outfits from scratch. Later she went to a respected fashion design school and is now working as a stylist at a leading department store chain specializing in women's fashion.

Home spun courtesy flags are a great training ground but some of ours had to be flown high up the mast so as not to attract too much scrutiny.
Thats funny my wifes best friend growing up is a sylist in LA and will be visiting next month, she is the person who put the design bug in our daughter several years ago. Very cool to hear your daughter was able to take something like that and run with it. Thats some good parenting!
Old 07-03-2016, 10:49   #12

If she has access to different types of cloth, pregnancy crisis centers are always looking for burp cloths and baby blankets.
jholder51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 14:13   #13

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingscotts View Post
Can anyone recommend a good brand of foot switch, our machine came with a generic one with the motor contoled out let and the light plug, its a crackly mess I need to replace, having something easy to control will help her on the machine.
If the machine is all mechanical and has a duplex ac outlet in the case, you definitely need to get a pedal designed to take all the current the motor can use, i.e NOT a pedal for an electronic machine that has a small coax type plug on it. If you hooked one of those pedals up to the machine, it would instantly burn out.

I fix sewing machines for a living (I should be doing that right now instead of surfing CF).

Here are a few for your consideration on eBay, or do a search for Universal sewing machine foot pedal.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 14:21   #14
cruiser

How-to for a ditty bag. Once the 'sewing circle to rectangle' concept is learned, on to winch covers!

Sunbrella, Marine Canvas, Sailcloth, Fabric and Hardware | Sailmaker's Supply
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 14:25   #15

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingscotts View Post

You have a sailrite machine. Call up sailrite for the foot pedal.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kids, project