Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-03-2016, 15:28   #16

Re: Sewing projects for kids

Here's a good one. sewing tutorial | KIDS | crafts | handmade gifts | bread bags | fort kits | diy hang tags | saltwater-kids

Old 07-03-2016, 17:21   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

A multi-pocket stowage compartment for toys & books might work. One which hangs along the hull side in her berth, & has multiple 3/4 height pockets/sleeves for some of her fav's. Maybe with even a few semi-isenglass pockets too. So that it's easy to see what's in a pocket, & so she learns about more advanced sewing & materials - like grownups.

They're pretty much all straight line sewing, but for adding a bit of depth to the pockets. And she can learn via first using some; paper, tape, & a magic marker; for a stage 1 pattern.
Then step up to using junk fabric to make real patterns, & try her hand at sewing. And finally, do the real thing, in some nice fabric of her choosing, bought for her as a reward for sticking with all of the learning bits.

Plus, it's easy to make multiple such stowage caddies, & swap them out, simply by adding sail boltrope material to the pockets top edge. And having track on a batten on the hull. Or using grommets & turn buttons, etc.

Then there's one that I did at 9 for my Brother & I's MONSTER Lego collection. It was a 4' diiameter circle, with a sleeve for a drawstring sewn into it's outer edge.

They're handy for keeping toys in, & unless vastly overloaded, can be laid out almost anywhere for playtime, with little to naught falling off of their edges.

So they serve both as toy storage, & toy play platforms. Plus, in our case, made it not take 20min to pick up the Lego's when we were done playing.
- As of last check, it's still in the family, & in use, many decades later.

Or a roll top, drybag of her own, for dinghy trips, etc. Complete with padded shoulder sling, & hand carry strap. Plus several snap hooks on the inside, so as to easily keep track of small but important items. To possibly include different pockets for things, made to be clipped onto said hooks.
Plus, they're fun to decorate, using X, or Y, & sticking said decorations on with Silicone or Contact Cement.

PS: IIRC, there are some sites devoted to cruising with kids. They'd likely be a good resource too.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 17:37   #18

For something bigger (to get used to handling bigger pieces of cloth) and to have a lot of fun with, why not make kites?

Can fly them off the boat, on beaches, when it's too windy to do much of anything else - go fly a kite!

Materials don't have to be expensive either.
Old 07-03-2016, 17:59   #19

Thanks for all the great suggestions!! Kites why didn't I think of that, we flew kites off the stern all the way dow nthe west coast last time. Definately the storage for her room would be win win...

I will try sailrite on the footpedal I need to order a hotknife and some parts, wasn't sure if there ws a more robust model out there people prefered, it seems liek the week link i nthe whoel operation, makes me think about making a treddle under the galley table, but I have too many project as it is.
Old 07-03-2016, 19:41   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingscotts View Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions!! Kites why didn't I think of that, we flew kites off the stern all the way dow nthe west coast last time. Definately the storage for her room would be win win...
Kites are ALWAYS fun. And you're never too old, nor too young to enjoy'em. Plus it's handy to keep a spare or three around as a gift... for whatever "made up" occassion you can "name". AKA they're great gifts for no particular reason other than you think that they'd "fit" someone, & or put a smile onto their face. Or as an icebreaker for starting new friendships, etc.

As, me, I don't much believe that one needs something in a calender to tell me when, or why, to give someone a present. Especially ones which "fit" with the reciever's character, or would obviously suit them, etc.

On the stowage idea, it's great for clothes & linens too. But in that application, it's best to use mesh, so that everything breathes.

Still, you can make great "shelves" inside of vertical lockers with it, if you run a few reinforcement strips of regular material across the "shelf floors".
And on some boats, we've built entire combination lockers w. shelves out of it.

Light weight, cheap, easy to alter or swap out. Fits at the foot of a kids bunk to give them more storage space... And, cleans with a hose & scrub brush. Plus they're quick drying to boot.
I mean, what esle could you want.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:28   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Tool rolls for Daddy's nut drivers?

Wraparound skirt? (Very simple, and make great gifts.)

Shopping bags? Can insert rope in the handles for comfort.

Bags for *stuff*. Partly depends on the eye/hand coordination of the child. An adult friend of mine with a Sailrite LZ1 sewed through her index finger. Very u;ncomfortable, took a while to heal, and her husband had to help her get the thread out through her nail! If you can sew through multiple layers of sailcloth, so can you through your nail bed.

I mention this not as a discouragement, but for you to consider how to teach her to avoid needle accidents.

Ann
Old 08-03-2016, 05:41   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Tool rolls for Daddy's nut drivers?

Ann
Awesome Ann !

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 15:24   #23

HappyMDRSailor,

Yeah. Also, old jeans legs make great, strong sacks. Thanks for the attaboy!

A.
Old 08-03-2016, 18:37   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Hmmmmm as long as we are tossing out stuff... I recently priced new dagger board covers and went into shock. $250 for a 4'x6" rectangle.

These may be a good way to earn spending money instead of being given an allowance.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 18:49   #25

Thanks again for all the great ideas, a sarong is another great one Ann, then she can stop stealing her mothers. Lots of great info everyone!!
Old 08-03-2016, 19:31   #26

Napkins and tablecloths, if she's so inclined. "Easy to Sew" patterns, too. For whatever she wants to try. Depends a little on her age, and a lot on inclination.

Ann
Old 09-03-2016, 01:23   #27

If it turns into a full blown hobby or her, it's an easy way to make custom gits for folks on the cheap. Which always helps, especially when you have a thin wallet as a kid.
And if inclined, one (or several) stints as an apprentice to a canvas worker or sailmaker could be priceless. Not to mention fun. As I'm sure that it'd turn into invitations on all kinds of boats. Which, at that age, well... such freedom & adventure is worth more than $.

Old 16-03-2016, 00:48   #28

Boat: youngquist viking 34

My mom had my brother and I make aprons as a beginer project. It was both simple and complex. Straight sides with a curve where it narrowed at the chest. The straps had to be sewn as tubes and rolled inside out. A large three compartment patch pocket on front. It was simple enough to not get too discouraged, yet it taught a number of varried basic skills.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:08   #29

Boat: FP 38

I heard drinking heaps of water hours before you sail helps heaps

seasick? Drink heaps of water before you sail.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:09   #30

Boat: FP 38

works for me. but I always drink the water

seasick? Drink heaps of water before you sail.

Tags
kids, project

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: