Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2013, 16:55   #1

Sailing with Teens in 2014

Hello!
In my search for other families who are sailing fulltime, I came across this forum!
We are a family of 5 with three teenagers (14, 15, & 17) who since 2009 have been traveling fulltime via an RV and roadschooling! We now have the rv up for sale and taking a year sabbatical from traveling while doing the Dr, dentist, and Drivers Ed thing. We paid the rent on the house we're currently living through December with a goal to set sail this Winter. Hoping to connect with other sailing families as we are complete newbs at sailing. However, we had never set foot in an RV til we bought ours in 2009 and that turned into a wonderful 3+ year adventure. Fortunately, we are originally from Charleston, SC and have basic motor boat experience (well my hubs actually, not me really) on the ICW. Currently, we are looking for a 35'(ish) sailing cat. (the Gemini 105Mc looks like a good candidate) Any tips appreciated...especially those about living onboard with teen boys!
foggyphils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 17:19   #2

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane
Re: Sailing with Teens in 2014

I am not going to suggest to you which cat to buy; no experience with cats. As for your teenage boys, get them interested in hobby electronics; kits building and such. Electronics project buildings require discipline, knowledge of circuits, and organizational skills. Who knows, eventually they may want to study electrical engineering. The initial investment in test equipment and kits is very small, considering the amount of peace and quiet that you'll get; DMM, power supply, components/wiring, wave function generator and such. Another hobby that you may want to introduce them to, would be SCUBA diving. Book learning is on the net; PADI's first step. Then a few OPEN WATER dives to get their cards. Keep the kids busy, and you'll have plenty of relaxing sailing time. Enjoy! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 17:30   #3

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat

three ipads......( with inavx loaded on each to justify the expense )
vientoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 17:42   #4

Welcome to Cruisers Forum Foggyphils. Just remember rv's don't sink while sailboats on the other hand, well lets just say take your time and learn everything you can. There are no stupid questions, and we are all here to help. Good luck!
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 18:25   #5

Thanks for the quick replies! Fortunately, we have known the value of iPads and iPods for our sanity all to well during our less adventurous days over the past few years. They are a blessing and at times a curse as I sometimes think they have become one with the kids' arms over the years. I will check out the inavx app. My dad is a master scuba diver trainer something or nother. I'll admit to being a bit nervous about them doing the whole SCUBA thing...although they are probably old enough to learn. I think I'll just wait til they express an interest in it! I should also add that they are very quiet and respectful kids so not so much worried about their behavior as I am that they stay challenged and continue learning while "confined" to boat space and time. And my oldest daughter, 17 will not be sailing with us the majority of the time. She has fallen (literally and figuratively) head over heals with a fella named Hank, of the equestrian variety (a horse to be specific) and will also start college next Spring. So it will just be the younger two boys (15 and 16 at date of departure) along with my husband and I. My mother has also hinted that she is interested in coming aboard depending on the strength of our wifi connection (she works from home)!
Old 26-05-2013, 18:29   #6

Boat: Mac 26X
I'm in the "go small (ish), go now" crowd, but common sense and time are your friends. If you really want to "sail", get a small boat, even a dinghy, and really learn how sails work. This will make you a much better sailor. If just moving about coastal waters is your goal, it's not that much different than an RV. I've done both
Old 31-05-2013, 18:39   #7

@ElGatoGordo
Can you recommend any of the ASA sailing schools in your area? Houston/Galveston looks to be the closest to our current location and there are quite a few schools offering certification. Dallas area would be as well but thinking a coastal location would suit our situation a bit better.
Old 31-05-2013, 19:10   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Three years in an RV with three teenagers, home schooling, and it turned out to be a wonderful experience?

I'd say you're 97% ahead of most "I always wanted to buy a sailboat and go around the world" crowd.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 19:26   #9
Marine Service Provider

I would looking into an ex-charter catamaran so you can get a 4 cabin boat... It will feel spacious compared to an RV!

PM if you have any questions, or need any help!
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 19:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie
Three years in an RV with three teenagers, home schooling, and it turned out to be a wonderful experience?

I'd say you're 97% ahead of most "I always wanted to buy a sailboat and go around the world" crowd.
Straight up! We did the same thing but now our kids got too old before we got around to cruising. Now I'm having to do vacations around college and all their jobs.

I'm not big on sailing schools personally, So I don't know any. But I know lots of people who do know so I can ask. If you're in a hurry to go long distances, I guess a school will be a good jump start. But whether you learn the basics from another sailor or a school, the time required getting an instinct for sailing will be the same IMO. You can sail "by the book" as long as things go well, but when it all goes south, you've got to instinctively know what to do. That takes time...not the same for everyone, years for some, months for others. And as I said, you learn it faster and better in a little boat where the consequences are far less and the little things make a big difference.

If you decide to come this way, let me know. I'll get the info you need.
Old 31-05-2013, 19:34   #11

Yes, Yes it was Tellie
I wouldn't trade any of it (even the 20+ flat tires..well the one day we lost 2, four hours apart I'd gladly skip!). We have made our mind up. We're pretty much a family of "do-ers" so your 97% estimate should be about right, God willing

Safety is our primary concern. I sure hope it didn't appear we'd just go buy a boat off ebay, throw it in the water, and set sail with a "wonder what this button does" kind of approach. We'll probably overkill on the preparation.
Old 31-05-2013, 19:59   #12

Well don't go too far, many MANY spend years "preparing" and never go. Once the basics are understood, coastal cruising for a while will be the way to prepare for more. There is a huge amount of cruising to do never leaving site of land, and even more only doing day good to the Caribbean.
Old 31-05-2013, 20:41   #13

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

If you are in the Houston/Galveston area- Sailing Classes - Charter Courses - BayAreaSailing.com I highly, highly recommend waiting for a class that Joe Laughlin is teaching. He's not only a good sailor, he is an excellent teacher. Not everyone who is a good sailor makes a good teacher.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing