Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2009, 07:19   #16

I think you should go. Kids are very resiliant and adaptable. Check out this couple and their live aboard family. They are our neigbors. www.ghostsailors.com
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 09:59   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
I have five children, but that does not make me an expert on children. Lin Pardy gave specific examples in her book of actual parents who had children and the parents experiences and testimonials about cruising with the children, of all ages. She didn't make patronizing statements about how other people should take care of their children, in case you thought perhaps she might have.
No not at all. I know they do good research for there books. But I would put more credit in these previous posts who took their children with them and actually lived the day to day experiences with them.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 19:48   #18

Boat: Beneteau 393
Well, you know your toddler more than anyone else, and probably already know the answer to your question at a deeper level, but if I was in your shoes I would certainly go. Yes, there will be a change in routine, but after 2-4 days I'm betting she'll be right as rain. Those little guys and girls are SO flexible! We travel a LOT, and really the same principles apply no matter what- keep the routines you can and plan ahead for those you can't. If you read bedtime stories at 7pm, do it when sailing also. If you still nurse, you might want to hold off on weaning until later. If bathtime is a big part of your routine (as it is with us), then start shifting from baths to showers (or "birdbaths") before you start your cruise (or go trekking, etc!)

Honestly, the reason I think you should go is you didn't mention safety. Obviously important, it is the first thing those not "in the know" stress about. If all you're worried about is keeping your daughter happy, I think you'll be all set. The life experiences for even a toddler IMHO far exceed any advantages to staying ashore. Good luck in your decision!

P.S. Humble opinions from a family with a 15-month old boy and 3-year old girl...
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 22:41   #19

Boat: Cal 25
Go For it!!!! Life is too short and in the words of Mark Twain
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

My husband and I are planning our own adventure with our two children. Good Luck to you!!!
wassupkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 06:39   #20

Thumbs up We did it just recently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vragoobur View Post
Hiya,

I am thinking of celebrating my 40th birthday sailing a crewed Bahia 46 around the seychelles islands in the indian ocean with my wife and our 16 month old little girl.

The question is, should we or shouldn't we? We are agonising over how will we cope with our little girl's routine (well sort of routine!!!!!) of sleeping, walking, playing onboard.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Vic.
We moved aboard when our daughter was 14 months. She's 17 months old now. We have a small backpack with stuffed animals, babies, and some toys. Another backpack with plenty of books. We also have a portable DVD player with various movies like 'Baby Einstein', 'Elmo's World', and 'Curious George'.

She is thriving! She really is doing great. In fact, I would say that she is adapting to cruising faster than Mom and Dad. Her balance is terrific, her weight gain has been right on track, her height is in the upper percentile.

You can read more about it on our blog at: JC McDowell and the Family Unit

Keeping in mind we spend a majority of time on anchor- it's a little floating playground. We have some rules about being topside. Our boat has high coamings in the cockpit, but we still keep her lifevest on her when she is topside. We rigged a small jackline to the binnacle that clips into the back of her vest and it is only long enough to reach the lazarettes. That way she can wander around the cockpit and Mom and Dad can keep an eye on her without worrying (too much).

We recently had to bash to windward and that was tough on the little one. Knowing your little girl is seasick but not being able to do anything about it is tough. Especially hard on Mom when she gets sick all over Mommy.

We carry a car seat that she sits in when we are dropping/raising anchor or need two hands on deck. She is comfortable in it and often naps in the seat in the cockpit. We carry it ashore for the occasional car rides.

We are coastal cruising the east coast of the US and we use disposable diapers because we are often close to 'civilization'. We carry UHT milk and supplement with Lactaid milk for better digestion. She is 'almost' weaned off baby food which has made meal time a lot easier.

Amidst the other cruisers and even land dwellers, everyone agrees it has been a wonderful experience for our daughter and think this is the perfect time to cruise with a child.

If you have any other questions, let us know.
Old 17-03-2009, 09:51   #21

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by vragoobur View Post
Hiya,

I am thinking of celebrating my 40th birthday sailing a crewed Bahia 46 around the seychelles islands in the indian ocean with my wife and our 16 month old little girl.

The question is, should we or shouldn't we? We are agonising over how will we cope with our little girl's routine (well sort of routine!!!!!) of sleeping, walking, playing onboard.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Vic.
It sounds to me like you are talking about a 1 or 2 week trip. 1)Crewed boat takes the worrry out of sailing the boat. 2) If allyou are worried about is the routine then there is not problem she will adjust to the new non-routine.

Reality is that it will not be that restful for you 1) You will have to be extra vigilent with your daughter, 2) If your wife has to do all the kid watching there will be hell to pay, 3) I would make as many stops as possible, 4) Have fun.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 14:18   #22

It will be difficult but you will all adapt.
Good luck!
anthon is offline   Reply With Quote