Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2012, 22:15   #1

Boat: boat less ATM
Sailing With a Dog into Indonesia

We are planning to take our dog by boat to Indo & Malaysia in May. We were going to stop in Singapore but it would involve a month in quarantine if we enter from Indonesia. Has anyone done this before? Were there any problems?

I have had a look at the dog passport site and found the necessary forms. However actual experience sailing in with a dog would be appreciated.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 01:02   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Sailing With a Dog into Indonesia

We'll be a short ways behind yo, so can't wait to see the responses here...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 01:33   #3

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
I know of people who take thier dog with them into Indo and its been fine, as usual some extra $$$ to get things moving works.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 02:04   #4

Location: Cruising the West coast of Sumatra and the offshore islands, surfing!!
Boat: Feltz Skorpion mark 11A, Aluminium 39' sloop, constructed Hamburg. https://photobucket.com/eloise_01
Send a message via Skype™ to surfmachine

Ahoy, in Malaysia and Indonesia, nobody comes near the boat when you check in or out. But a dog ashore could create a "problem"? For your dog if it catches a disease or for you if you did not keep a low profile?

I am not aware of any regulations or declarations on the forms relating to animals aboard the yachts, taking them ashore would create too many problems!
Cheers from Keith.
Old 29-01-2012, 02:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
We'll be a short ways behind yo, so can't wait to see the responses here...
What flavor, sorry i mean breed, is your dog
Old 29-01-2012, 02:41   #6

Yes good point, make sure its not too fat!
Old 29-01-2012, 03:48   #7

Yea sorry about that, guess it was in poor taste

Seriously, personal i would not take a dog cruising in that part of the world and if i did i would want to be very careful. Not only are there diferent cultural values attached to animals (including dogs) by some communities, but there are also problems relating to disease. The other issue that you need to consider is that as an outsider some will consider you fair game. What do you think a chicken is worth in some of those places, ok so what do you think a chicken is worth when it is killed by a dog owned by some one who has a nice yacht ......
Old 29-01-2012, 04:21   #8

Agreed, in Bali for eg a dog is believed to be an evil person that is reincarnated so the are treated accordingly, a lot of people in Indo do eat dog meat as the norm, been offered it many times.
Also rabies is present too and there is action to rid any dog suspected of it in any way.
Millions of people there eat worse than our dogs too,its just the way things are.
If you want to take him/ her just dont in busy places let it off the boat,which to me is not much fun for most breeds.
Old 29-01-2012, 04:45   #9

What flavor is it!
I nearly choked on my cup of tea...good one justwaiting
The Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 11:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
Agreed, in Bali for eg a dog is believed to be an evil person that is reincarnated so the are treated accordingly, a lot of people in Indo do eat dog meat as the norm, been offered it many times.
Also rabies is present too and there is action to rid any dog suspected of it in any way.
Millions of people there eat worse than our dogs too,its just the way things are.
If you want to take him/ her just dont in busy places let it off the boat,which to me is not much fun for most breeds.
One of my earliest childhood memories was watching bags of Pye dog puppies being tipped into the river to drown. I am sure that you are very responsible owners but understand that most of the local dogs fight for an existence, a strange dog coming into their territory is an action that they need to defend.

The Chinese are also into their dogs, or should i say that their dogs are into them. I am assure by a Chinese friend that in China that they farm dogs for eating to avoid some of the disease issues. But then she also said that dogs come in 3 sizes, snack, family and banquet.
Old 29-01-2012, 11:56   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Other than health regulations and quarantine...Yes, dogs are still very much considered livestock in some of those areas. I wouldn't leave the dog alone on the boat much less ashore, and of course you can't always take them with you (i.e. museums?) so your own touring will be curtailed.

Dogs, horses, cats, cattle...people too, if you get the right menu.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 15:06   #12

Bit like beef, hard to tell the difference sometimes, just watch the satay stick sellers on the streets, no quality assurance there.
Old 29-01-2012, 15:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdig View Post
Bit like beef, hard to tell the difference sometimes, just watch the satay stick sellers on the streets, no quality assurance there.
Indonesian Hot Dogs or are you saying that they reuse the sticks

HECK, time to change my signature before Dirkdig comes looking
Old 29-01-2012, 15:34   #14

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Heck I can hang with dog stew, but them Monkey Brains got to me a little !! YECHHH Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 15:40   #15

Boat: Sailboat

Wikipedia:

Indonesia

Dog meat is haram for Muslims and as such, it is not consumed by most of Indonesia's predominantly Muslim population. However, dog meat is eaten by several of Indonesia's non-Muslim minorities. The Islamic faith considers the meat of canines to be ritually unclean, along with swine. The consumption of dog meat in Indonesia is mainly practiced by remote tribes and does not appear to be a widespread phenomena, given that Indonesia's population is largely Muslim.
In Indonesia, the consumption of dog meat is usually associated with the Minahasa, a Christian ethnic group in northern Sulawesi, and Bataks of northern Sumatra, who consider dog meat to be a festive dish and usually reserve it for special occasions like weddings and Christmas.[81] Popular Indonesian dog-meat dishes are rica-rica, called variably as "RW" or rintek wuuk, rica-rica waung, guk-guk, and "B1". Locally on Java, there are several names for dishes made from dog meat, such as sengsu (tongseng asu), sate jamu, and kambing balap.
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Indonesia, sailing, indonesia