Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-01-2012, 16:48   #16
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Sailing With a Dog into Indonesia

Furthermore if they are 'serious' Muslims and your dog brushes one of them they have to go home and de-contamiate...
They get real mad if they have to do this... leave it with someone... or don't go.

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 16:51   #17
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Re: Sailing With a Dog into Indonesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by svstrider View Post
We are planning to take our dog by boat to Indo & Malaysia in May. We were going to stop in Singapore but it would involve a month in quarantine if we enter from Indonesia. Has anyone done this before? Were there any problems?

I have had a look at the dog passport site and found the necessary forms. However actual experience sailing in with a dog would be appreciated.
Mate, I am not sure about Indonesia but I would be wary of taking a dog on board the good ship CF given the meat cravings of some of its scaly nare'do'well crew.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 19:30   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
Wikipedia:

Indonesia

Dog meat is haram for Muslims and as such, it is not consumed by most of Indonesia's predominantly Muslim population. However, dog meat is eaten by several of Indonesia's non-Muslim minorities. The Islamic faith considers the meat of canines to be ritually unclean, along with swine. The consumption of dog meat in Indonesia is mainly practiced by remote tribes and does not appear to be a widespread phenomena, given that Indonesia's population is largely Muslim.
In Indonesia, the consumption of dog meat is usually associated with the Minahasa, a Christian ethnic group in northern Sulawesi, and Bataks of northern Sumatra, who consider dog meat to be a festive dish and usually reserve it for special occasions like weddings and Christmas.[81] Popular Indonesian dog-meat dishes are rica-rica, called variably as "RW" or rintek wuuk, rica-rica waung, guk-guk, and "B1". Locally on Java, there are several names for dishes made from dog meat, such as sengsu (tongseng asu), sate jamu, and kambing balap.
Agree , but the OP also referred to Malay, and yes may there are also "of the faith" but there are significant other beliefs esp amongst the wide spread Chinese population. Basis for my comments, i was born and grew up in SE Asia and have traveled there since. PS dont send the recipies to Indy

Also as other posters have said the DOB can limits your interaction with the people and culture, surely one of the best reason to cruise in those destination.
Old 29-01-2012, 20:21   #19

Location: back on Gold Coast after sailing north to Thailand then east to Pacific via Irian Jaya, PNG & Solomons
Boat: Tennant 47ft Catamaran

Thanks everyone for the dog dinner recipes. I am aware of the cultural difference in feelings between Muslims & Gwailos regarding dogs. I have travelled extensively in Indo and lived in china for 2 years where the appalling treatment of animals wheher as pets or food was on constant display.

I will have all the necessary dog shots done & documented before we leave with an Australian export permit. Our dog, dalmatian / boxer, is never left alone when we cruise as we all get separation anxiety. Having travelled to a lot of aboriginal communities where camp dogs are extremely aggressive & teritorial, I am good at avoiding confrontations with the local canines.

I know it is cruel to take him on an ocean trip BUT he would find it very distressing to be left behind.

My original question still remains - Has anyone on CF done the dog thing by boat into these parts?
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 23:13   #20

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by svstrider View Post
My original question still remains - Has anyone on CF done the dog thing by boat into these parts?
Sorry, I don't have direct experience for you, but... I took a cat through Indonesia, and no one official ever came on board or even asked about a pet when we checked into each town.

Some of the islands East of Bali are Christian, and of course much of that whole island chain is pretty rural. So whether or not your doggy is offensive on any given island, it might be easy to find a place for him to visit land without being in someones personal space.

It might be better to skip the places with tightly packed waterfronts-- like Kalimantan (sp?) on the South-West corner of Borneo-- where there is no obvious way to get ashore except through someones pier, dock, or backyard. With the language barrier it would be hard to figure out if someone was OK with using their yard or pier to bring your dog ashore, or if some of the abandoned looking lots are really unclaimed and fair game for doggy landings. Maybe with a super dinghy you could go up the river half a mile (or whatever) in those kinds of places to land the dog far out of sight, or at least far enough away that people won't feel the need to make it an issue.

I feel like it would be less of an issue in Malaysia, since it feels a bit more modern, culturally, compared to the rural parts of Indonesia. But I don't know. The pier in Penang seems city owned, but it is on a busy street corner... The anchorage off of Langkawi has a beach that might work, but the Marina might be a bit of a stretch. I am really clueless about the cultural issue here and don't know how far away the people would want to be away from the dog, if it's more of a "don't sniff or lick me" or a "don't even want to see that thing a hundred yards away" type of thing. Folks seemed very devout in Indonesia, if that is relevant.
Old 29-05-2012, 16:03   #21
Lt.

Don't do it! They'll eat the poor puppy!
Old 29-05-2012, 16:12   #22

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
Don't do it! They'll eat the poor puppy!
Why would they single out this dog when there are so many others wandering around every day?

Having Pets in Indonesia

Abandoned for 2 weeks, starving dogs in Indonesia eat owner
Old 29-05-2012, 16:18   #23

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Have seen people doing it, never heard of a problem. Just don't try to go into Singapore or the poor dog will end up in quarantine. While the authorities don't come on board to check, if found later that you didn't declare it you might end up hanging from your neck! Remember Singapore is like Disneyland but with the death penalty...

Lots of dogs in Malaysia have humans and nobody seems to make any fuss.
Old 29-05-2012, 16:20   #24
Lt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
Why would they single out this dog when there are so many others wandering around every day?

http://www.expat.or.id/info/pets.html

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_710329.html
I'm just joking, though people do tend to eat dogs all over the world. In fact, my dad was in Spain once, and while there was able to eat some dog, said it wasn't half bad. (P.S. he was in the U.S.M.C. at the time)
Old 29-05-2012, 16:43   #25

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. View Post
I'm just joking, though people do tend to eat dogs all over the world. In fact, my dad was in Spain once, and while there was able to eat some dog, said it wasn't half bad. (P.S. he was in the U.S.M.C. at the time)
I was told after the fact by the Viet's I had dinner with that we had Thit Cay at a restaurant they took us to in the backblocks of Nha Trang.
Was tasty if it was, tasted like Pangolin
Old 29-05-2012, 18:31   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
The proliferation of old wives tales about sea are hilarious.

Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Vietnam, Singapore, Thailand are all different countires with different cultures. It is not one metling pot (full of dog meat or not). The cities even have cement building and electricity these days.

I'd suggest if you were in sea in 69 that your info is a bit out of date - LOL

BTW - this is a thread from January about a trip in May. I think the time frame for any information, useful or otherwise has passed...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 18:43   #27

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Noonsite has pretty good data on various countries and their dog, cat, gun, bare legs, head coverings, hand holding etc. policies. You will also find some stories posted on the side that often relate to your search.
Old 24-01-2013, 18:31   #28

Location: back on Gold Coast after sailing north to Thailand then east to Pacific via Irian Jaya, PNG & Solomons
Boat: Tennant 47ft Catamaran
Doggy Adventure up date - 1 year on

Here we sit in a boat yard in Phuket, surrounded by a rubber tree plantation (dog is happy about that). Kaspar is now confident using the ramp that goes up the 10 feet to the scoop of the boat, after only 2 days.

Rundown on dog trip so far
Aussie Quarantine insisted they would not issue an export permit until the Indos issued an import permit. However, Indonesian embassy in Darwin said Indo import permit was not necessary. I even made many phone calls to agriculture dept in Jakarta. All the numbers Oz quarantine gave me were either not connected or fax numbers. Eventually got the correct number off the New York Indo embassey website. Again told no import permit needed for dog to Indo if in transit.

Eventually Oz agreed to issue export permit after they did vet check ("pat on head, he looks OK, any problems?" $130 please). Before hand visit to local vet for Rabies shot $90, blood test for seroconversion 2 weeks later, sent to Melbourne - $400+ please.

Arrived in Kupang, W Timor. The agent said that Quarantine there did not want to know about dog. Don't ask, don't tell, sorta thing.
In Indo travelling along north coast to Bali - muslim villages - no dogs at all so cats were easy prey if they decided to run but usually did not know what a dog was so did not respond. Most villagers were afraid of the dog but if he was on the lead and not close, there was no problem. Although on one island which seemed very fundamentalist one guy became upset about dog hair when I brushed the sand off the dog. About a quarter of villages were Christian and they had dogs which were usually afraid of our dog and ran away.

Bali had a lot more dogs and even though it is supposed to be a no landing for dogs from elsewhere in Indo as it is supposed to be a rabies free zone, there had been 9 recent human deaths from rabies and 140 since rabies outbreak started a few years back. The packs of wild street dogs were a real problem if they got stirred up and a large stick was required. Human owned dogs were on the whole reasonably friendly.

Malaysia was a lot more difficult as regards dogs. The people seemed to be much more upset getting anywhere near him. Marina in Johor baru was not pleased that he was there because of worry if malaysian quarantine had a complaint. Again DADT.

We travelled with another boat for 6 weeks up Malacca Straits who had a Doberman they had brought from Panama, so that would not have helped. This dog was not as easy going as Kaspar. She hated children, men with hats, dark skinned people and people who spoke Spanish. So except for the last risk, one needed to keep a close eye on her when ashore.

In Malaysia and Indo (especially Bali) there seems to be a lot of dog fighting going on. People would always ask if K was a pit bull ( a breed that is banned in OZ). Occasionally someone, usually Chinese, would ask to buy him. A couple of times, people asked to buy him to eat.

Thailand is a lot easier as they like dogs. There is a young dog living in the boat yard so K now has a friend to play with. There are a lot of national parks around Phuket (Surin islands etc) and it is a real problem finding a beach that that he can visit. So this has restricted visits there. However, these surrounding islands & hongs are so crowded with tourists that they are not worth visiting. The coral is all dead anyway.

So K is still flying under the radar - international canine crime figure that he has become.

In Indo, Malaysia & Thailand - officials do not come to the boat so it is possible to "smuggle" your pet in. Having a dog on board helps with security as you will get a lot less unwanted boat boarders.
svstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 18:45   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"officials do not come to the boat so it is possible to "smuggle" your pet in."
I'd be afraid for the dog, who might be confiscated and quarantined and not put up in the Ritz for 3-6 months. Forgot the fines, animal welfare is not a high priority in many parts of the world.
Old 25-01-2013, 01:01   #30
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Thanks for the update SVSTRIDER

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Indonesia, sailing, indonesia

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: