Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2016, 22:30   #1

Sailing w/ a Dog to Hawaii

... when U LAND in Hawai'ian Waters ... U don't HAVE to, immediately, check-in at the harbors, right ? ... like, can.. sail`arounddd , 'check out the snorkel~spots' , whatever ... ? . . . /// AND ~~~ What for, Sailing : in - NOVEMBER ?? !!! ?? . . . . . kina.. 'Iffy' , storms ? ... (* from, the West Coast U.S. , say California.) ... Any ..Wordzzz , of *Advice* from Anyone? { Please !!} *** THANKS ~ ALOHA No * * * * * <3

unciatigris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 14:45   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
re: Sailing w/ a Dog to Hawaii

You do need to check in when you get to Hawaii. You've left the mainland US and sailed 2,000 miles across the ocean and the powers that be want to be sure that you didn't stop somewhere enroute.

As far as a dog, Hawaii has very strict quarantine rules as there is no rabies here. You can forego the quarantine by going through a time consuming and costly process involving inspection at your point of exit from the mainland and entrance to Hawaii by a Vet. Don't try and be a wise ass and go around the procedure as we really really would not be happy if you introduced a little bit of rabies.

For the most part you'll need to find harbors/marinas to hole up in from October through April. Big swells from the North Pacific make the few anchorages very uncomfortable to down right dangerous. There are boats that do hang on a hook/mooring year around in State regulated waters but you better be sure that the mooring/ground tackle will withstand the force of 20' plus swells. Officially, you are not allowed to hang on a hook in one location for longer than 48 hours. Don't know how strictly that is enforced. The State Marinas allow you 4 months in any one year if space is available. That can get you a safe moorage from September through April. Have regularly had cruisers winter over here at Honokohau Harbor in Kona. Unfortunately for the cruisers there seems to be fewer vacant slips on the docks than in previous years. During the summer, there are a bunch of places to drop a hook as the wave action tends to be minimal. The main issue is south swells from storms below the equator but that makes the normally inhospitable north shores decent anchorages. There are no sheltered Bays that offer secure places to hang out. You'll be in an open roadstead so not places to leave a boat unattended for extended days ashore.

Last but not least, is your keyboard broken. Got to be the most disjointed post with all the characters literally sprinkled through the post.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 15:15   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by unciatigris1 View Post
... when U LAND in Hawai'ian Waters ... U don't HAVE to, immediately, check-in at the harbors, right ? ... like, can.. sail`arounddd , 'check out the snorkel~spots' , whatever ... ? . . . /// AND ~~~ What for, Sailing : in - NOVEMBER ?? !!! ?? . . . . . kina.. 'Iffy' , storms ? ... (* from, the West Coast U.S. , say California.) ... Any ..Wordzzz , of *Advice* from Anyone? { Please !!} *** THANKS ~ ALOHA No * * * * * <3

OMG WTF LOL
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 15:23   #4
cruiser

this looks like "Da Woody" of Sailing Anarchy... having a field trip over here, are ya?
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 15:52   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Hmmm. My career was as a biological psychologist. Looks like 60s syndrome to me, as in "if you can remember the 60s, you weren't there." But, I'll have to run some tests...
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 10:39   #6

Boat: Piver, Mariner 26, Serena Salida
Re: Sailing w/ a Dog to Hawaii

I'm a dog owner and an experienced transpac passagemaker, and you asked for advice. If you have any sympathy for the dog's health and welfare, don't put it through the agony of your long voyage to Hawaii. They almost always get very sick in transpac sea conditions. Even in 80-footers, it's simply impossible to turn a boat around under those conditions, so many dogs and cats die in misery enroute to Hawaii and the SoPac. Even if the dog survives your voyage, your cleverly trying to sneak it ashore is a teen age fantasy, it's just not going to work for you or for the poor dog. It might be more humane for you to sail to Hawaii with a big stuffed animal.
Pat Rains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 11:35   #7

Boat: Celestial 48

Do not go with a dog without doing your homework for sure. Very strict quarantine rules for dogs coming into Hawaii. Very serious consiquences if caught trying to seek around rules. In general, I would say don't do it.

Plant Industry Division | Importing Animals to Hawaii from the U.S. Mainland
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 12:46   #8
Marine Service Provider

I've lived in Hawaii for nearly fifty years. It's my understanding that in addition to what others have said here, it is only practical to ship animals to Hawaii by air. State health regulations require chain-of-custody procedures which can't be verified when an animal is on a boat for a few weeks before getting here. What ever you do, don't stop at a neighbor island to go diving. If the dog jumps overboard and swims ashore you are in deep kim chee, as we say here. I shipped a dog and three cats out of Hawaii for a friend last month. I have forty years experience as an airline employee. They are very pick about paper work. Just like human travel documents, airlines are held responsible for anything that is not in order.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 12:49   #9

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:

For a moment, I thought I was looking at one of my 16 year old daughters texts. OK, guess it's not so let me answer you...

Y3S, U hav 2 Czech in wid D R bore master. 10 U can geau snork L ing.

SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 12:55   #10

The Title doesn't match the Body of the thread at all. I'm calling BS until the OP can prove otherwise.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 13:22   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
The Title doesn't match the Body of the thread at all. I'm calling BS until the OP can prove otherwise.

The title was SLIGHTLY modified by the moderators for clarification purposes. Please don't blame the OP for that. Such modifications are a fairly common occurrence.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 15:32   #12

HaHaHa!!! Such.. **Entertainment!!** I seem to have Created here ... hehehe <3 !!! /// { I suppose, 1 could call it my 'typing~style'.. -- "Art" of the computer = (otherwise), so 'linear'!!?! .. Hahaha!! } Yes.. I am a bit.. 'misunderstood' or.. 'called-(jolly)folly-on' , via a *computer/keyboard* by Most , in such an.. 'electronic , dis-Connected 'unemotional'' world as we are surrounded by now ... <3 hehehe <3 But ~~~ THANK***YOU , for ALL Posts/Comments , Kind, funny.. or 'mean' , regardless. !!! I am So HappY, to be "talking" w/ .. ANYOne, @bout this , hearing Everyone's Thoughts, Experiences, on my.. Matter. !!! ***** <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 *** My PUP Is my new BEST*BUD, & I Only Want the BEST for Him. !!! *** { which, is : also, "holistically" ~ & actually 'intellectually/scientifically'-minded, : as LITTLE *vaccines* as possible. < !! ... They - CAN - be , quite dangerous .. & I know, Hawaii (gov't..) can be very *strict* (for good reasons) , and .. also, sometimes, a little mm.. 'overzealous-ly' .. haha!!?! { I also know, from applying to University there.. u must FIND OUT .. that, the only way, to avoid vaccines yourself (for admittance to School) is.. to "state a religious-exemption'' against, the vaccines/etc that UofH requires by 'law' now .. !!) ,,, HaY EveryOne : THANKS MAHALO NUI LOA, ALOHA KE AKUA *** ... Seeee Ya, In ~~ HaWai'I !!!! ***** {{{ Although.. Some..of 'U" .. would, rather .. haha have me.. 'admitted'/haha 'turned~away' ~ HaHaHaHa!!!! >;P **** <3<3<3<3<3 BLESSSSINGZ On All Of Ya.. Crazzzzy*Folk !!! >;P hehehehe >;P ***<3<3<3***
unciatigris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 15:40   #13

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

Annoying

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mbuckely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 22:25   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
I suppose, 1 could call it my 'typing~style'.. -- "Art" of the computer
Ya...maybe you could but that might be about it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 22:32   #15

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I was looking for crew while in Mexico and received a reply from a young couple. Unfortunately for them and fortunately for me they posted pictures of them being pretty foolish. Every picture it was them displaying there tongue piercings and what not. Their profile page of their experience (which was zilch) was the same kind of "look I'm cool" graphics.
I tried suggesting they clean up their profile a little, change the pictures and lastly gain some local sailing experience. This resulted in a venomous response, making me grateful for not using them as crew.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii, sail, sailing