Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2011, 12:56   #16

Boat: Morgan Classic 41
Re: Sailing blogs written by kids?

Check out Bebe's Corner. It is written by a grand daughter of a cruising friend when she visits on their sailboat over the summer. BeBe's Corner: June 2011
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 18:18   #17

Boat: St Francis 44 MkII

My son(11) has one here

He hasn't written in a couple of months, but when we leave FL in a couple of weeks (to the Bahamas first) he will be writing more.
crewofnoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 18:50   #18

Boat: Morgan Classic 41

Cole's blog is very nicely done! Let him know that I think it looks quite professional, well laid out and gives a ton of valuable information to his readers. Great job!
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 08:21   #19

Boat: Colin Archer RS-22 46' LOD
Re: Sailing Blogs Written By Kids ?

Maia from S/V Ceilydh as one too. Everyday Maia
My kids have one, but it hasn't been worked on in quite a while. http://steelketchkids.blogspot.com
Old 23-01-2012, 08:27   #20

Boat: Catalina 34
My kids have been along for our adventures and inspire me to concoct more, but they haven't posted on their own yet. My oldest (9 yrs.) has a draft blog post to add to our site, but she's still working out the wrinkles.
Old 23-01-2012, 08:38   #21
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

These are all superb blogs, so please pass on my compliments to ALL the kids who wrote on these, and tell them I can't wait to read more.

I have bookmarked them all, but I find it frustrating that I can never subscribe to blogspot blogs - even if the poster adds an RSS feed icon, it NEVER works!!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2012, 18:56   #22

We are about to embark on a 1 year voyage with our family aboard s/v Patronus (does your son like Harry Potter, too?). We'll be in the Caribbean with our three children this winter! Subscribe to our website and you can keep track of us so we can hook up! We have an 11 year old boy, a 9 year old girl, and a 6 year old boy, who will all be blogging as part of our homeschooling. They each posted their first blog, about their excitement during the planning stages See you in paradise! www.conwaysailors.com
Old 25-02-2012, 19:44   #23

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Our kids were 12 & 15 when we moved aboard in 2001. They contributed to the general website as part of their schooling, researching & posting the history & demographics of the places we visited. They also shot most of the underwater photography, & Chris even published a how-to page there.

But the kids also each have their own areas of the website (NOT a blog!) where they posted pretty much whatever they wanted. Amanda's pages include a Reflections Essay that kids (& even adults) might find interesting. Chris's pages tend more towards the technical. Their pages haven't been updated much since the kids moved off to university, but their thoughts & perspectives (very different from ours) still come through.

For parents, we've posted a Cruising with Teens article that folks might find interesting.
Old 01-03-2012, 19:03   #24

Boat: Stevens 47

Fun to see my son Niall’s blog called out. He’s dropped off some from posting because he’s started 8th grade here in Brisbane. I mentioned this thread to him and he’s reinspired to get writing – and to connect with other cruising (or soon-to-be) kids if any want to email him.
We sailed from Seattle in ’08, kids were 4, 6, 9. Since then, they’ve experienced so much, have friends around the world, and are thriving “in a real school”, as they say, for the 6 weeks we’ve been in Brisbane. It would be easy to list many great ways in which we’ve seen our kids change since we left, but it’s a mistake to project the idea that our kids experience will be your kids’ experience. Experiences vary a lot – and kids do change from cruising and the outcome of that is not guaranteed one way or the other. Although our experience doesn’t relate to the “state of shock”, “lifestyle inflicted” and “getting battered” that atoll mentions, it can be that way and new cruising families should give much thought to the practical realities of cruising as a family (and the same sentiments apply with a couple –as in, his-dream-her-reality).
There is no simple formula. For us, cruising lifestyle is pure joy. We’re in Oz getting the cruising kitty in order and living aboard in the middle of a city for a different kind of experience - but can’t wait to get moving again to SE Asia.
svTOTEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 00:07   #25
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This one is regularly updated and is always interesting... The family is in the Virgin Isles at the moment:

sevensailors
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:14   #26
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom

The kids were gung-ho on keeping one for this trip, but came to actually doing it, they lost interest, they haven't taken much in the way of pictures this trip either.

We've been in Acapulco for sometime now, we haven't had a desire to leave but we're building towards casting off again.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 01:54   #27

Boat: hillyard 12 tonner

Well said Minaret we all inflict our life style on our kids no matter what it is. And life inflicts its self on us, my 8 yr old is totally blind and he adapts very well. Kids just need to know they are loved everything else is noise and nonsence.
Oh and thanks for those recommendations. My 7 yr old Artie will enjoy them too!
We have spent most of our summers on our boat but from this May 2012 we are on board for good in Spain my boys speak Italian so now we are adapting to learning Spanish. Its a great idea about blogs written by kids. Thats definately what Artie would enjoy and a great way for him to improve his reading and spelling. So Thanks again.
From the Bear Family
itdave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 00:41   #28

Boat: Oyster 45

We have our two boys sailing with us. At the moment we are in Spain.
On the website there are pages for them to put on what they want but we are not the kind to make them do so. If they want to write they will and this thread may inspire them a bit more.

Both tend to use facebook far more as they then have feedback and a sort of conversation with children their own age and of course they can then speak to other girls.

I know they also like speaking to other cruising kids as they understand this lifestyle.

The website is
Sailing Cygnus III around the world
Old 28-04-2012, 09:35   #29

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Our daughter was 10 when we started, she has her own journal page on our website, below...Click the "Liz's Journal" button

Tags
sailing, kids