Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2016, 08:00   #1

Sailboat for family of 6

Hi All,

I know this is a subjective if not inflammatory question but...

My wife and I have 3 kids, and have always planned on having 4. We know this seems to be the magical difficult number for a variety of things.... Vehicles, hotels, etc.

It seems that it also poses a new type of logistics problem for sailboats. We wanted to start cruising in about 5 years, and were looking at various boats ~47'-53'. I'm trying to keep the LOA to be as small as we can comfortably fit, and still keep the cost down. It seems a lot of designs are geared towards charter boats, with 3-4 dedicated cabins, however, they tend to have 3+ heads.

We like the Stevens/Hylas 47's, but have an open mind in looking at other options. The Cyclades 50 has an odd dedicated captains quarters in the bow, which is really unattractive for our needs. I believe a few other designers have followed suit.

Bunk beds are always a plus, 2 heads is a mandatory requirement. Robust fuel/water capacities as well, and passage making capabilities.

Are there hull models I am overlooking?
travpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 08:34   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker
Re: Sailboat for family of 6

The ex charter model beneteau (cyclades) and some others could work for you if you are in that budget range. I recall when I was a beneteau dealer back in the 90s they have a Fall designed 50 that had the "crews quarters" in the bow. The master cabin forward was offset to port and instead of the now standard centerline bed against the crews quarters bulkhead there was a head/toilet compartment and another compartment with a seperate shower. A few owners/dealers cut a door in that shower bulkhead to make the crews quarters another cabin accessable from inside the boat instead of on deck. One couple I met used it as the younger kids room because it was close to the parents room.

Just an idea here. Really on any boat question, you have to establish first a budget. $100K boat is way different than a $500K boat. Lots more options the more you spend including some cats that would have 4-5 cabins and could have some bunk bed set ups.

The stevens 47 you mentioned is really a 3 cabin boat with bunk beds in on the side. As the kids get older most will not want to share a cabin.

Just my two cents.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 08:55   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I think you need to establish a budget and then start looking at individual available boats one at a time. Two reasons: plenty of models are out there with multiple cabin lay-outs, so a particular boat might turn out to be different than you thought, and, more recent light displacement hulls have lots more interior space for the same length/displacement than older designs. With a small adult crew but a lot of people, the space afforded by multihulls becomes attractive as well. While there's a cost in ultimate stability, the cockpits are far larger, often between hull dining tables are an option, and the two hulls let people get away from each other. The rigs are lighter/easier to handle for the usable space. You might also consider center cockpit monohulls with stern cabins.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 10:24   #4

Apologies for not being more clear. My budget is under 200k.
travpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 08:26   #5

Amel mango 51 has 4 separate bunks and two heads and Master at aft away from the kids. Build from 78 to 98. $ 90k to $240k
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 08:28   #6

My bad. Built 78 to 89
Mango51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 08:52   #7
cruiser

Six people won't fit comfortably in a Hylas 47. You'll be looking at ex-charter boats to stay in your price range and needs.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 09:17   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF TravPeg!

There is a vast amount of information here and many helpful members who have extensive experience.

You have gotten some good answers already, and more are sure to come.

Recently there was another thread or question from a family looking for berths for five and some have asked for six too. Those threads will also contain suggestions to boats.

How do you find those earlier threads or discussions?

My Favorite CF Forum Tip: Use the Google Custom Search Function

I know that most people who are new to this forum might try the ordinary search function of the forum when they have a question in mind. Unfortunately that always yielded few results for me when I tried that when I first joined this forum. In contrast, a standard Google search outside of the forum can produce a bewildering list of links too. It was only later that I learned to quickly and easily find great links to archived or previous threads on a topic.

I only use the Google Custom Search field on this forum when searching this forum, and I find all the answers I need here too using that.

I find it superior to an ordinary search using the standard "search" field and usually get the answers I want very quickly. So, it is my "number one tip" to newer forum members. .

Note! The Google Custom Search field is found under the "Search" menu seen at the top of your browser window when you are in the CF forum on any page. However, it is NOT shown as an option if you are viewing the Forum site using the CF Mobile app. Use a browser like Safari instead.
----------
Asking Questions?

I think most members here will be happy to answer most questions. Most of the members likely believe "there is no stupid question." I do.

Just be aware that some questions are very common, and so they have been asked and answered many times before. That's where using the Google Custom Search feature can help you and others save time. Using it, you can very likely find many answers very quickly. For some topics you will find many hours of reading in sometimes hundreds of previously posted comments on that topic. There are many thousands of answers found in the forum archives, and they can be found very quickly simply by using the Google Custom Search feature and a few carefully chosen terms to search.

I hope you find this helpful and enjoy your time on the forum!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 09:59   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Does it have to be a monohull? We are (rather 'were' - as the twins are off to 'varsity shortly) a family of six and have always been pretty comfortable on our cats - but still the 2x youngest share a cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travpeg View Post
Hi All,

I know this is a subjective if not inflammatory question but...

My wife and I have 3 kids, and have always planned on having 4. We know this seems to be the magical difficult number for a variety of things.... Vehicles, hotels, etc.

It seems that it also poses a new type of logistics problem for sailboats. We wanted to start cruising in about 5 years, and were looking at various boats ~47'-53'. I'm trying to keep the LOA to be as small as we can comfortably fit, and still keep the cost down. It seems a lot of designs are geared towards charter boats, with 3-4 dedicated cabins, however, they tend to have 3+ heads.

We like the Stevens/Hylas 47's, but have an open mind in looking at other options. The Cyclades 50 has an odd dedicated captains quarters in the bow, which is really unattractive for our needs. I believe a few other designers have followed suit.

Bunk beds are always a plus, 2 heads is a mandatory requirement. Robust fuel/water capacities as well, and passage making capabilities.

Are there hull models I am overlooking?
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 10:55   #10
Marine Service Provider

As you say, this is highly subjective, but if you're expecting your long suffering wife to care for a new borne and three other children while afloat, I think a large catamaran is the least you can do. As the children age (my four range from 46 to 38) it would be advisable to transition to two boats, with a quick release towing cleat on the mother ship.
Good luck
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 11:24   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNMARDALL View Post
As you say, this is highly subjective, but if you're expecting your long suffering wife to care for a new borne and three other children while afloat, I think a large catamaran is the least you can do. As the children age (my four range from 46 to 38) it would be advisable to transition to two boats, with a quick release towing cleat on the mother ship.
Good luck
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group
Love the quick release idea. Love the grown kids (48-57) I couldn't take them 24/7. Might be because they do know more than me?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 11:44   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Kidding aside. A cat that was designed for charter might fill your bill. 4 staterooms kids need their own space. OK you only need two heads, use the third for storage, With six people you will need all you can get.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 11:48   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

A Lagoon 40. Blue cushion covers.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 12:16   #14

Boat: Looking...

Look at a Nauticat 38. Huge boat inside, 3 cabins, pilothouse - comfort in all weather (important for family fun), powerful engine, fin/keel for decent performance.

The shorter the LOA, the more affordable.
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 13:08   #15

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

What do you mean by "magical difficult number" for the number of kids to have? Not sure that exists-I just know they're EXTREMELY SPENDY. And I have three. 4 for me? NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

The average cost of raising a child born in 2013 up until age 18 for a middle-income family in the U.S. is approximately $245,340 (or $304,480, adjusted for projected inflation), according to the latest annual “Cost of Raising A Child” report from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.Aug 18, 2014. NOT INCLUDING COLLEGE.

So stick with 3 kids. Increase the budget by $245,000 and then buy a 4 cabin LAGOON 44. LOL

In all seriousness I do think you would be better off with a 4 cabin cat as the others here have suggested. Although SV Delos gets along very well with 6 adults on their 53 Super Amel. Good Luck and keep us all posted!

Tags
family, sail, sailboat