Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 09:33   #1

Safety Turtle Alarm for Pets ?

Hello,

I'm totally new to boats, but thinking about renting a houseboat to live in, and taking my cat with me. It doesn't leave the slip, but I'm worried he might fall in the water, just because he is not the most graceful cat.

I've seen this Safety Turtle thing that activates an alarm if the cat goes overboard, but supposedly the range is limited if the water is salt or brackish.

Has anyone used this or have any thoughts? It's not a big boat, so I don't know how much the range would matter. There's no way he'd tolerate a lifejacket.

Thanks very much,

Erin
bublsort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:38   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Safety Turtle Alarm for Pets ?

Cats fall in the water all the time. Then they get out. Assuming the cat hasn't been declawed, it will climb back aboard more readily than you will.

If, on the other hand, the cat has been declawed, the liveaboard life is not for you. There isn't a devise you can buy that will keep a declawed cat alive on a dock.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:42   #3

he definitely has his claws So you think I shouldn't bother with this device? He's never been near water in his life. He probably won't even leave the cabin, but I hate to deny him some time in the sun if he wants it.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:42   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Welcome to the forum Erin.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:50   #5

You need to look at your dock setup and make sure he can reach something to get his grip on while treading water! A lot of cats drown in marinas. He'll need wood or something other than cement. Are your docks floating or fixed? Building a small float to moor next to your boat with Indoor outdoor carpet would help if he's been treading water for a while....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:55   #6

The docks are floating. I could hang carpet off the side of the boat though? I also read about the swim noodle in another thread, and about getting a net.

He would always be inside when I'm not there, I'm just worried that he would fall in without my knowing it. Maybe that's unlikely.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:56   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Erin.

Cats are good swimmers and have no problem climbing out of the water, provided they have something to get their claws into.
A strip or two of carpet, hanging over the side of the boat to the water line, will do the trick. Just make sure the cat knows what they are for and how to use them.
I, who’ve never owned a cat, suggest that you toss kitty overboard in the vicinity of the “Cat Ladder” and stand by with a net.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 20:59   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Erin.

I, who’ve never owned a cat, suggest that you toss kitty overboard in the vicinity of the “Cat Ladder” and stand by with a net.
I would pay to see that on youtube.

"But Officer, we were performing a C.O.B. drill!!!!!!!"
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 08:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bublsort View Post
The docks are floating. I could hang carpet off the side of the boat though? I also read about the swim noodle in another thread, and about getting a net.

He would always be inside when I'm not there, I'm just worried that he would fall in without my knowing it. Maybe that's unlikely.
He very well could fall over when you arent there. I know two people who found their cats floating when they couldnt find them. There is some truth to throwing them over when they are kittens, I knew people who did that to teach the cat how to reboard. Not sure a wet cat can climb a carpet in cold water or not, if you're south then maybe ok.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 09:24   #10

Boat: Prout 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bublsort View Post
Hello,

I'm totally new to boats, but thinking about renting a houseboat to live in, and taking my cat with me. It doesn't leave the slip, but I'm worried he might fall in the water, just because he is not the most graceful cat.

I've seen this Safety Turtle thing that activates an alarm if the cat goes overboard, but supposedly the range is limited if the water is salt or brackish.

Has anyone used this or have any thoughts? It's not a big boat, so I don't know how much the range would matter. There's no way he'd tolerate a lifejacket.

Thanks very much,

Erin
Yes the Safety Turtle will work. We use them on our dogs when they are aboard. The range is more than adequate but if the collar transmitter, "Turtle", is submerged in salt water it won't transmit. However, salt water will still activate the transmitter and once the "Turtle" is above the water it will sound the alarm. We affix the "Turtle" on the top of the collar behind the dog's head, and then counter weight with dog tags on the collar at the neck so even if the "Turtle" is momentarily submerged by the initial fall into the water, it will will stay above water while the pet is swimming and sound the alarm. The other good thing about the Safety Turtle is that you can buy them barely used on Ebay for not much money. Also makes a good man over board device if affixed to the shoulder of a life vest or harness.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 09:41   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i am thinking that if the thing made noise the cat can hear, it may just scare cat into swimming away from the sound---dont know how that could be of help. my boat has 2 cat ladders, one each side, and h e uses tether quite nicely. he looks for his tether line when he walks on the boat to make sure he isnt caught. when he is caught, he sits and waits for me to free him if he cannot do so himself. the harness is a part of him , and he has used tether since 5 weeks of age , whenever we go anywhere or i go somewhere and leave him on boat for a few minuets to couple of hours to buy food. if i go away for longer periods of time, he stays indoors. at anchor, he is not tethered, as he has never fallen overboard off leash in 5 yrs and a half.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 09:47   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

They do fall into the water. Way too often. We witness and participate in cat SARs at least once a month here.

The idea given above sounds very good though - perhaps you can hang some 'floating docks' from your boat so that the thing can climb up easily and then walk back onboard? I think a plank and a block of styro would work.

You can test the device by throwing your cat overboard - you will make sure it can come back this way and the cat will start developing the right habits.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2011, 12:46   #13

thank you all for your very good advice and welcomes. I don't think I can bring myself to throw him over, but right now he won't even leave the carrier, so, baby steps. and then carpet, and then maybe a used Safety Turtle.

Erin

Tags
alarm, pets, safety