Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 13:59   #31

Boat: In Between Boats
Re: sad news from the boating world

Large powerboats can easily create a wake wave high enough to go over the stern of the Silverton 34. Especially loaded down as it was. Once that happens, that boat is gone.

There's no turning into a wake from an a$$hole in a large power boat dropping 4-5 footer as he cuts across your quarter in a desperate effort to pass in a narrow part of the ICW.

Making the ICW in the area of these events (extending out to ramps and marinas) in the area "minimum wake" after the event would do the trick to make it safe. Note that non-alcohol impaired already do this. Alcohol induces stupidity.

No laws, licenses or any other silliness needed. It's just common sense which means there is no chance of implementation. :O
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 14:17   #32

Boat: Lagoon 440

To those who question why there are safety inspections, why there are boardings at sea to check all things and why some of those officials generate a bad attitude at times then go no further....

THIS IS WHY!! Stupid is as stupid does.... Obviously and very sadly the message just isn't getting through.
Old 05-07-2012, 14:21   #33

Boat: In Between Boats

You cannot be serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
To those who question why there are safety inspections, why there are boardings at sea to check all things and why some of those officials generate a bad attitude at times then go no further....

THIS IS WHY!! Stupid is as stupid does.... Obviously and very sadly the message just isn't getting through.
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 14:24   #34

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I had a thanksgiving party when I owned my 40 ft trawler. I was tied up to the dock with 17 to 20 aboard and on the dock. A family of 10 ( big folks) decided to run up on the bridge. They all ran to one side. It kinda freaked me out to feel my vessel heel so much in the slip, straining the lines. I cant imagine 27 people on that power boat, this is not in any way a borderline call IMO. But landlubbers should not be expected to understand this, except the basic understanding that kids need lifejacket, though they could of been down below. No, this all on the captain.
Old 05-07-2012, 14:27   #35

Really, do you think this captain was serious?

Do you think this captain got it?

This is the very reason there are the boardings the presence because largely people are ignorant/she'll be right mate/won't happen to me.

Serious yes as long as stupidity like this occurs there will be the mandate for inspections...

The result of this stupidity is for innocent children to die, thats very sad.
Old 05-07-2012, 14:27   #36

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

I'd be willing to be there were not 27 lifevests. The boat owner probably doesn't even own 27 life vests.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 14:29   #37

The problem with boardings is that they happen most of the time under normal circumstances. All that would have helped in this case is a patrol of the area and more patrols of the harbors. I can't imagine it would have been hard to look at this boat and see it was overloaded.
Old 05-07-2012, 14:32   #38
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail
Criminal charges for what is clearly an accident (stupid, but an accident) only ruins more lives.

Criminal charges every time an "accident" happens is very similar to "suing" someone every time something does not go the way you want. I agree that awareness is more of a solution. The reality is that there will probably be more regulation put into place.
Argh, the American disavowment of personal responsibility. This is NOT an accident. This is gross negligence. Period. There's a great speech by the widow of a FDNY firefighter who died in a fire that started when a guy put a bag of trash on a stove with a lit pilot light. The news called it a tragic accident. It wasn't. She has since dedicated her life to trying to change this attitude here in the States. Most car crashes are not accidents. Neither was this. It sucks, but the parents and captain of this boat killed those kids.

Those kids didn't deserve to go out that way. Letting the parents off the hook is wrong. They can wake up every day knowing they killed their kids. Hopefully that morning ritual will occur behind bars as a lesson for others.

I regularly see the results of people's negligence. It sucks. But calling it "an accident" only makes it worse. The only way we can change this attitude is by education. Sorry for the rant.

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 14:32   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
I'd be willing to be there were not 27 lifevests. The boat owner probably doesn't even own 27 life vests.
My point exactly Maytrix, sadly some just don't get it ...Cheers Frank
Old 05-07-2012, 14:33   #40

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

Code of Federal Regulations

Title 33--Navigation and Navigable Waters

Chapter 1--Coast Guard, Department of Homeland Security

Subchapter S--Boating Safety

Part 183--Boats and Associated Equipment

Subpart C--Safe Loading

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations:
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 14:36   #41

Quote:
The problem with boardings is that they happen most of the time under normal circumstances. All that would have helped in this case is a patrol of the area and more patrols of the harbors. I can't imagine it would have been hard to look at this boat and see it was overloaded.
Boardings largely WAKE people up and educate them, it's very improbable for someone to be caught in a situation like this. At the end of the day it is EACH and EVERY licensed/ticketed person aboard who bears responsibility for this incident...

It doesn't take much to say NO.....
Old 05-07-2012, 14:38   #42

Boat: grampian 26

Do commercial vessels not have a maximum capacity rating? If so why not pleasure craft irrespective of size? It is sad that childrens' lives were lost due to someone elses' short sightedness. Twenty seven people on a boat that size was asking for trouble.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 14:46   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
It doesn't take much to say NO.....
Except you may have people on board that know nothing of boats. While we can look at it and say 27 is way too many, someone who knows nothing of them wouldn't necessarily know that. Maybe all they've seen is a ferry or something and saw how many people those hold, felt they were crowded and saw this as being similar.

Captain and only the Captain is 100% to blame for the situation.
Old 05-07-2012, 14:46   #44

Yes all production boats have a plate showing maximum capacitys All charter boats same story, you may notice some older ferry boats even have a maximum number on a sign for upper decks..
Old 05-07-2012, 14:48   #45

Quote:
Except you may have people on board that know nothing of boats. While we can look at it and say 27 is way too many, someone who knows nothing of them wouldn't necessarily know that. Maybe all they've seen is a ferry or something and saw how many people those hold, felt they were crowded and saw this as being similar.

Captain and only the Captain is 100% to blame for the situation.
AS i clearly said the Captain AND any other licensed /ticketed person on board......

Ever been to an inquest?

Tags
boating