Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2012, 08:11   #31

Boat: Celestial 48
Re: Rescuing a Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
... a saltwater-doused cat can survive the water only to kill himself cleaning his fur afterwards. You have to rinse the salt water out.
Is this reality, or just some tall tale?

I find it hard to believe that just cleaning salt water off of fur could kill a cat. If there is evidence of this actually happening I would be very interested.

Thanks
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 08:19   #32

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins

Having lived with multiple cats aboard for years, I struggled for years to come up with a cat recovery system... finally hit on the idea of suspending a boarding step (just a 12x20" board with lines at each corner and a buffer of dock fender between board and topside) off of the stern quarters about 6 inches above the water. The one time one of the cats fell off (only time in almost 8 years) proved the worth of the boarding step as I was away at the time. Returned to find a wet, but live, cat in the cockpit. Rinse, rinse, dry, dry...no problems
Of course I have to take the steps up for sailing.

mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 08:31   #33
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Is this reality, or just some tall tale?

I find it hard to believe that just cleaning salt water off of fur could kill a cat. If there is evidence of this actually happening I would be very interested.

Thanks

If you have a cat on a boat I urge you to check with your vet, as I did when i moved aboard and was given this warning. Anything can kill someone in great enough quantity, including salt. As I said, the fur ABSORBS water -- and salt water.

I'm not going to try to change your mind, but I will continue to voice this fact when the topic comes up so that those with cats they care about can safeguard them.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 08:34   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the kind of harness shown on a previous post will choke the kat--isnt a good design--i use a figure 8 harness and keep bubba on a leash--h doesnt fall overboard without it..he is aware of waer breaking over the stbd quarter--we were pooped by a quartering sea in gulf of mexico--bubba is good at staying dry. leashes(tethers to gato) WORK WELL. is a good safety measure--but beware of harnesses that can kill the gato. best defense is critters inflatables.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 08:36   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the kind of harness shown on a previous post will choke the kat--isnt a good design--i use a figure 8 harness and keep bubba on a leash--h doesnt fall overboard without it..he is aware of waer breaking over the stbd quarter--we were pooped by a quartering sea in gulf of mexico--bubba is good at staying dry. leashes(tethers to gato) WORK WELL. is a good safety measure--but beware of harnesses that can kill the gato. best defense is critters inflatables.

Yes, those figure 8 harnesses are the best for cats. They can't strangle them if they get caught on a branch or a fence, and the little stinkers can't squirm out of them, either. They were actually originally designed for ferrets, a very flexible animal! Cats can't be kept in doggie life preservers -- they can squirm out of them.
Old 21-05-2012, 08:51   #36

the critters inflatables for gatos have a head support where it is needed--cats don0t drown until they are tired at which time they rest their heads in the water and die. critters inflatables havent a bit of itself on the back of gato , so they are good for kitties--i dont have one yet, but i plan on it ==
cats hate to be seen in states of disrepair--like when involuntarily wet...i found bubba can remove himself from his harness when he is hanging in it--but he will sit and wait for me to fix him-- he thinks his harness is a part of him
Old 21-05-2012, 08:53   #37

Quote:
...I'm not going to try to change your mind, but I will continue to voice this fact when the topic comes up so that those with cats they care about can safeguard them.
I have had my cats go in the drink in the past, but have always been around to rinse them off. None the worse for the wear.

I leave a thick 3" hauser line over the side and in the water. Cats have shown that they can climb this without problem.

I have always thought that if they fell in without us around, they could hopefully climb back on board and be OK, albeit salty. Never thought the salt water would be good for them, but did not think that it could be fatal. Maybe bad tummy ache, but fatal is a game changer.

Has anyone really heard of a feline death by these means? I understand that enough salt could be a serious health issue, but do we know if this "could" be fatal, or "is" fatal?

BTW, we have four cats now, love them all, and would be despondant if any ended up rescuing themselves from a swim only to end up dying from salt water ingestion.
Old 21-05-2012, 08:57   #38

i hve not heard of cat dying of sea water--i towel dry bubba --if he lets me i will rinse him-but he is a bit averse to water --will allow me to cool him off with some cool water, but isnt a voluntary swimmer....he plays in rain, tho--is a weird cat.
Old 21-05-2012, 08:59   #39

Quote:
...and the little stinkers can't squirm out of them, either...
Our cats must be part Houdini as we have yet to find a harness that they can't squirm out of given enough of a chance. They seem to be able to accomplish the impossible.
Old 21-05-2012, 09:06   #40
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the critters inflatables for gatos have a head support where it is needed--cats don0t drown until they are tired at which time they rest their heads in the water and die. critters inflatables havent a bit of itself on the back of gato , so they are good for kitties--i dont have one yet, but i plan on it ==
cats hate to be seen in states of disrepair--like when involuntarily wet...i found bubba can remove himself from his harness when he is hanging in it--but he will sit and wait for me to fix him-- he thinks his harness is a part of him

is that the name of it, "critters inflatables?" You're right about their getting tired of holding their heads up. Their faces are much flatter than a dog's, and it's more work for them to keep their heads out of the water. It's not an issue for tigers just because they're so big.
Old 21-05-2012, 09:11   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
I have had my cats go in the drink in the past, but have always been around to rinse them off. None the worse for the wear.

I leave a thick 3" hauser line over the side and in the water. Cats have shown that they can climb this without problem.

I have always thought that if they fell in without us around, they could hopefully climb back on board and be OK, albeit salty. Never thought the salt water would be good for them, but did not think that it could be fatal. Maybe bad tummy ache, but fatal is a game changer.

Has anyone really heard of a feline death by these means? I understand that enough salt could be a serious health issue, but do we know if this "could" be fatal, or "is" fatal?

BTW, we have four cats now, love them all, and would be despondant if any ended up rescuing themselves from a swim only to end up dying from salt water ingestion.

I doubt if anyone would know that was what the cat died of unless they did an autopsy. It wouldn't happen right after they went in the drink. I'm just reporting what the vet told me. You didn't pay for the advice, so take it for what it's worth, but I don't think the vet would have told me that lightly. It's not that big a deal to rinse them off -- after all they're already wet.

Another thing is do you want fresh water all over your cabin contents or salt water? Because their fur absorbs the water, they stay wet a long time afterwards.

I think I will get a piece of that 3" hauser and make a game out of climbing it on board, and then in the water they will recognize it. One of my cats is a little Einstein and I could see her figuring a way to get out while I'm underway. She is truly too smart for her own good. the other cat on the other hand swam right by a piling and didn't recognize it as a way to get out of the water. A neighbor used a boat hook to guide him to it. If I hung the hauser from the bimini frame I think they would have a lot of fun, and then they'd know what to do. I like it.
Old 21-05-2012, 09:13   #42
cruiser

Hey Guys -- Critter's Inflatables is having a HUGE sale right now!

Critter's Inflatable® - Purchasing
Old 21-05-2012, 09:23   #43

a large houser is great idea, easy to grip etc... and not a rigid piece to stow!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 09:38   #44
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

How do you attach a 3" hawser to your boat? Maybe sieze a smaller line that will actually go around a cleat to it? Curious...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 09:49   #45

3 in hawser wont fit thru my hawse holes--i use a braided 3 pce old mooring line...bubba has yet to try it--i have used it for a few years....kind of makes folks know i have a gato on board...