Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2012, 09:11   #31
Registered User
 
Dennis.G's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sea of Cortez and the U.P. of Michigan
Boat: Celestial 48
Posts: 750
Re: Rescuing a Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
... a saltwater-doused cat can survive the water only to kill himself cleaning his fur afterwards. You have to rinse the salt water out.
Is this reality, or just some tall tale?

I find it hard to believe that just cleaning salt water off of fur could kill a cat. If there is evidence of this actually happening I would be very interested.

Thanks
__________________

__________________
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 09:19   #32
Registered User
 
mangomuffins's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bradenton Beach, Florida
Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
Posts: 277
Re: Rescuing a Cat

Having lived with multiple cats aboard for years, I struggled for years to come up with a cat recovery system... finally hit on the idea of suspending a boarding step (just a 12x20" board with lines at each corner and a buffer of dock fender between board and topside) off of the stern quarters about 6 inches above the water. The one time one of the cats fell off (only time in almost 8 years) proved the worth of the boarding step as I was away at the time. Returned to find a wet, but live, cat in the cockpit. Rinse, rinse, dry, dry...no problems
Of course I have to take the steps up for sailing.


mm
__________________

__________________
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 09:31   #33
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Rescuing a Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Is this reality, or just some tall tale?

I find it hard to believe that just cleaning salt water off of fur could kill a cat. If there is evidence of this actually happening I would be very interested.

Thanks

If you have a cat on a boat I urge you to check with your vet, as I did when i moved aboard and was given this warning. Anything can kill someone in great enough quantity, including salt. As I said, the fur ABSORBS water -- and salt water.

I'm not going to try to change your mind, but I will continue to voice this fact when the topic comes up so that those with cats they care about can safeguard them.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 09:34   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,767
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Rescuing a Cat

the kind of harness shown on a previous post will choke the kat--isnt a good design--i use a figure 8 harness and keep bubba on a leash--h doesnt fall overboard without it..he is aware of waer breaking over the stbd quarter--we were pooped by a quartering sea in gulf of mexico--bubba is good at staying dry. leashes(tethers to gato) WORK WELL. is a good safety measure--but beware of harnesses that can kill the gato. best defense is critters inflatables.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 09:36   #35
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Rescuing a Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the kind of harness shown on a previous post will choke the kat--isnt a good design--i use a figure 8 harness and keep bubba on a leash--h doesnt fall overboard without it..he is aware of waer breaking over the stbd quarter--we were pooped by a quartering sea in gulf of mexico--bubba is good at staying dry. leashes(tethers to gato) WORK WELL. is a good safety measure--but beware of harnesses that can kill the gato. best defense is critters inflatables.

Yes, those figure 8 harnesses are the best for cats. They can't strangle them if they get caught on a branch or a fence, and the little stinkers can't squirm out of them, either. They were actually originally designed for ferrets, a very flexible animal! Cats can't be kept in doggie life preservers -- they can squirm out of them.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 09:51   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,767
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Rescuing a Cat

the critters inflatables for gatos have a head support where it is needed--cats don0t drown until they are tired at which time they rest their heads in the water and die. critters inflatables havent a bit of itself on the back of gato , so they are good for kitties--i dont have one yet, but i plan on it ==
cats hate to be seen in states of disrepair--like when involuntarily wet...i found bubba can remove himself from his harness when he is hanging in it--but he will sit and wait for me to fix him-- he thinks his harness is a part of him
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 09:53   #37
Registered User
 
Dennis.G's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sea of Cortez and the U.P. of Michigan
Boat: Celestial 48
Posts: 750
Re: Rescuing a Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
...I'm not going to try to change your mind, but I will continue to voice this fact when the topic comes up so that those with cats they care about can safeguard them.
I have had my cats go in the drink in the past, but have always been around to rinse them off. None the worse for the wear.

I leave a thick 3" hauser line over the side and in the water. Cats have shown that they can climb this without problem.

I have always thought that if they fell in without us around, they could hopefully climb back on board and be OK, albeit salty. Never thought the salt water would be good for them, but did not think that it could be fatal. Maybe bad tummy ache, but fatal is a game changer.

Has anyone really heard of a feline death by these means? I understand that enough salt could be a serious health issue, but do we know if this "could" be fatal, or "is" fatal?

BTW, we have four cats now, love them all, and would be despondant if any ended up rescuing themselves from a swim only to end up dying from salt water ingestion.
__________________
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 09:57   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,767
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Rescuing a Cat

i hve not heard of cat dying of sea water--i towel dry bubba --if he lets me i will rinse him-but he is a bit averse to water --will allow me to cool him off with some cool water, but isnt a voluntary swimmer....he plays in rain, tho--is a weird cat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 09:59   #39
Registered User
 
Dennis.G's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sea of Cortez and the U.P. of Michigan
Boat: Celestial 48
Posts: 750
Re: Rescuing a Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
...and the little stinkers can't squirm out of them, either...
Our cats must be part Houdini as we have yet to find a harness that they can't squirm out of given enough of a chance. They seem to be able to accomplish the impossible.
__________________
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 10:06   #40
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Rescuing a Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the critters inflatables for gatos have a head support where it is needed--cats don0t drown until they are tired at which time they rest their heads in the water and die. critters inflatables havent a bit of itself on the back of gato , so they are good for kitties--i dont have one yet, but i plan on it ==
cats hate to be seen in states of disrepair--like when involuntarily wet...i found bubba can remove himself from his harness when he is hanging in it--but he will sit and wait for me to fix him-- he thinks his harness is a part of him

is that the name of it, "critters inflatables?" You're right about their getting tired of holding their heads up. Their faces are much flatter than a dog's, and it's more work for them to keep their heads out of the water. It's not an issue for tigers just because they're so big.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 10:11   #41
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Rescuing a Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
I have had my cats go in the drink in the past, but have always been around to rinse them off. None the worse for the wear.

I leave a thick 3" hauser line over the side and in the water. Cats have shown that they can climb this without problem.

I have always thought that if they fell in without us around, they could hopefully climb back on board and be OK, albeit salty. Never thought the salt water would be good for them, but did not think that it could be fatal. Maybe bad tummy ache, but fatal is a game changer.

Has anyone really heard of a feline death by these means? I understand that enough salt could be a serious health issue, but do we know if this "could" be fatal, or "is" fatal?

BTW, we have four cats now, love them all, and would be despondant if any ended up rescuing themselves from a swim only to end up dying from salt water ingestion.

I doubt if anyone would know that was what the cat died of unless they did an autopsy. It wouldn't happen right after they went in the drink. I'm just reporting what the vet told me. You didn't pay for the advice, so take it for what it's worth, but I don't think the vet would have told me that lightly. It's not that big a deal to rinse them off -- after all they're already wet.

Another thing is do you want fresh water all over your cabin contents or salt water? Because their fur absorbs the water, they stay wet a long time afterwards.

I think I will get a piece of that 3" hauser and make a game out of climbing it on board, and then in the water they will recognize it. One of my cats is a little Einstein and I could see her figuring a way to get out while I'm underway. She is truly too smart for her own good. the other cat on the other hand swam right by a piling and didn't recognize it as a way to get out of the water. A neighbor used a boat hook to guide him to it. If I hung the hauser from the bimini frame I think they would have a lot of fun, and then they'd know what to do. I like it.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 10:13   #42
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Rescuing a Cat

Hey Guys -- Critter's Inflatables is having a HUGE sale right now!

Critter's InflatableŽ - Purchasing
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 10:23   #43
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,352
Re: Rescuing a Cat

a large houser is great idea, easy to grip etc... and not a rigid piece to stow!
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 10:38   #44
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Rescuing a Cat

How do you attach a 3" hawser to your boat? Maybe sieze a smaller line that will actually go around a cleat to it? Curious...
__________________
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 10:49   #45
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,767
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Rescuing a Cat

3 in hawser wont fit thru my hawse holes--i use a braided 3 pce old mooring line...bubba has yet to try it--i have used it for a few years....kind of makes folks know i have a gato on board...
__________________

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please Advise on a Cruising Cat k9spud Multihull Sailboats 61 19-09-2012 12:36
Resistance, Cat Construction Pieter Commercial Posts 0 11-10-2011 09:26
Lagoon 400 - Any Other Cat with Similar Headroom ? Sail IC Multihull Sailboats 13 12-09-2011 18:51
A Day on a Hobie Cat capn_billl General Sailing Forum 10 04-08-2011 10:30



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.