Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 17:47   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lyle C. Hess owner built 29'6" cutter
Reasons you should take your children cruising soon

Ian Johnstone, who has cruised with his two children on board Chaotic harmony for the past several years, gave us permission to post a wonderful overview of life on board. He wrote it for the Ocean Cruising Club year book and I think it presents a really balanced picture of the challenges and pleasures he and Jo encountered. It is at -
www.landlpardey.com/why-you-should-take-children-cruising.html
Lin Pardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:00   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Reasons you should take your children cruising soon

Thanks Lin! Headed out with our children this summer...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:58   #3

I wish my parents had been cruisers.

As a child, I followed Robin Lee Graham in Dove, in the National Georgraphic magazines we got, and even at 12 or so, wanted to be him.

When I take my kids with me now (they are 11 and 13) it is the best time we spend together.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:11   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

after spending 15+ years growing up on a boat,with multiple circumnavigations i'm not sure if my kids ever want to set foot on a cruising yacht ever again.........

there is such a thing as "inflicting your lifestyle on your kids"

i'm not saying they are not better people for learning responsability and how to interact with adults at an early age,but taking kids sailing you rob them of their childhood to a certain extent,whilst fulfilling the parents hedonistic ambitions...........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:45   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I don't know if Atoll is right or not! We raised ours on board. 3 girls and 1 boy. 2 of the girls have there own boats (small but useable) and the other girl comes to sail with us with her 2 kids. and the boy is crewing on the west coast on a large rich mans sailing yacht LOL so I guess we ruined them for ever ! and ya know I feel really bad about it !! but Connie and I has a great time anyway !!!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:49   #6

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Sailing involves several disciplines, among them is engineering. When taking your children aboard, highlight the electronics that is being used on your boat. Buy them electronics kits to build, and help them learn the basics of electricity. In due time, you'll find out if you have placed the seed of engineering in their minds or not. All it takes, is a little guidance and some patience! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:38   #7

Boat: Lord Nelson 41' Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailtexas

Thanks for sharing this Lin, great advice and wisdom.
Sailtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:50   #8
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
after spending 15+ years growing up on a boat,with multiple circumnavigations i'm not sure if my kids ever want to set foot on a cruising yacht ever again.........

there is such a thing as "inflicting your lifestyle on your kids"

i'm not saying they are not better people for learning responsability and how to interact with adults at an early age,but taking kids sailing you rob them of their childhood to a certain extent,whilst fulfilling the parents hedonistic ambitions...........

Said it here before and I'll say it again, everyone "inflicts their lifestyle on their kids". I for one much prefer "inflicting" this lifestyle on them than the "normal" mainstream lifestyle, or to letting others "inflict" a lifestyle I do not want them exposed to, ie the public school system.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Said it here before and I'll say it again, everyone "inflicts their lifestyle on their kids". I for one much prefer "inflicting" this lifestyle on them than the "normal" mainstream lifestyle, or to letting others "inflict" a lifestyle I do not want them exposed to, ie the public school system.
+1 Well Said.
Bambolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 19:22   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
just seems like having known quite a few grown up livaboard kids in there 20 and 30's alot of them end up as sociapaths,psycopaths or worse.

mainly because they have problems in later life relating to other people on a normal level in mainstream life.

Libby Purves remembers her son Nicholas Heiney | Books | The Observer
Old 10-03-2013, 19:46   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
just seems like having known quite a few grown up livaboard kids in there 20 and 30's alot of them end up as sociapaths,psycopaths or worse.

mainly because they have problems in later life relating to other people on a normal level in mainstream life.

Have you seen how little children in the public school system in the US behave these days? Seems like quite a few of them also end up as sociopaths, psychopaths, or worse. In fact from what I've seen a shocking number are well down the path to idiocy already. I don't want my kids obsessed with American TV pop culture like the rest of the kids I see. I'd much rather expose them to a melange of cultures in the hopes they'll see that sort of thing for what it is.

Personally, I have plenty of trouble myself relating to "normal" people in mainstream life. If my kids did relate to mainstream life I'd be very sad. Escaping that mentality is half the point of taking them cruising.
Old 10-03-2013, 19:53   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lyle C. Hess owner built 29'6" cutter

I am surprised at Libby Purvis comment about cruising children later in life. We have had the privilege of meeting up with many, many of the people we knew as children afloat - though several have chosen unusual life paths, most are great, successful adults. Only one ever said she wished she had been allowed to stay at home instead of cruise with her family - she was, according to her parents and younger sister, unhappy before they went cruising at age 14, unhappy while they cruised and unhappy later in life. Only when she reached 40 did she find contentedness. Her sister, by the way built her own boat and is a sailing instructor -
Lin Pardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 20:06   #13
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Seems like its maybe not a great example.

"It is possible that 'the deterioration of his lifelong fragile balance was connected to a physical, severe viral illness - labyrinthitis, a severe inflammation of the inner ear that led to a post-viral depression when he was 17'. "
Old 10-03-2013, 23:02   #14

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

My parents were guilty of that barbaric crime - taking me and my siblings world cruising.

My sister followed in their footsteps and took her 2 toddlers under 3 years out across the Pacific 3 decades later. And I did the same with our son for the last 2+ years.

No wonder we are all crazy! It is hereditary and relates to time at sea as a kid doing night watches, hoisting sails and holding the lives of your parents in your own hands. I don't think we are as f***ded up as the dirt dwellers, but you never know....

Cruising is just one aspect of your childhood, there are many others as well.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:07   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

i'am not saying don't take your children cruising,all i am saying is just be aware that there are periods in a childs development where they need to interact with other children to develop social skills amongst their own peer group.

going on a 3year sabatical with your kids is probably only going to be beneficial,

the group that i am refering to are families that have effectively "dropped out" of society,and have never had a home apart from the "yacht" ,have very few ties with any one country or place,other than where the boat is.

the individuals in question have problems forming any meaningful relationships,find it difficult to stick at any job ,can become sexual predators ,have low self esteem issues,or superiorority complexes ,drug issues etc

i can site other notable examples that have made the news,but won't as the individuals are still around and trying to get on with their lives.

like every thing in life there is a bright side and a darker side.

Tags
children, cruising