Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2017, 15:21   #1

Boat: Schionning GForce 17c
Positive advice for dealing with hyper grandson when sailing on catamaran

Hi there love to hear some positive suggestions, ideas, tips on sailing safely with an extremely energetic inquisitive 6 year old grandson. In the beginning it will only be day trips and then might progress to overnight trips. Lovely cute child but is very hyper and can lack self control. It is not an option to not take him. Mum and his brother 8 will be with him. We want this to be enjoyable and safe time for all. Thanks heaps!
WildFireAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 15:28   #2

Boat: R&C Leopard 40
Re: Positive advice for dealing with hyper grandson when sailing on catamaran

Practice MOB drills until he falls asleep
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 15:28   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Positive advice for dealing with hyper grandson when sailing on catamaran

A harness and life vest, for the eight yr old too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 15:38   #4

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

When I was young my folks put a life jacket on me and tied a line to the mast . I got to go where I wanted and they did not have to worry. Also just because he is energetic does not mean he wants to fall off ,he may understand those very obvious edges. The only hard and fast rule was life jacket . I fell off once and that was enough.It might be a learning experience for everyone .Being on a boat can also be very calming . Have a nice time
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 15:55   #5

Harness and pfd. Severe consequences should he ever demonstrate any inclination for noncompliance.

Netting on lifelines is good.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 16:00   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We had such a child on board. Inquisitiveness is a sign of intelligence, so keep him busy. He might like to fish, too. Opportunities to swim will help. If he has medications, make sure his mom gives them to him on time. For some truly hyperactive children, coffee with milk in it will calm them down. It is a paradoxical reaction, but the concept is what underlies the use of ritalin and other forms of speed (central nervous system stimulants) to treat hyperactivity. If you already know what he likes, a few age appropriate games might be a useful thing to have along.

Make sure he has enough physical activity during the day to tire him out for sleep at night. Talk to the mother about your concerns, she will have some suggestions, if she thinks about it. All of you want all involved to have a good time.

Philosophically, I believe in rewarding good behavior, and with that in mind, perhaps both he and his brother can earn a turn at the helm under your guidance, a very special treat, that requires some effort to earn. Same thing for access to computer games.

Ann
Old 07-01-2017, 16:06   #7

Boat: wanting a cat

Don't let anyone take their eyes off of him for a second when on deck...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 16:36   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

If old enough....As Ann suggested, get him involved

Teach him on the helm and if sail has Telltales.... Challenge him to keep them streaming properly.

Will slow down and focus his attention as you challenge him to make the boat go faster.

Make it a fun game with the idea to let him win.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 16:37   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Gorilla tape.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 16:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
We had such a child on board. Inquisitiveness is a sign of intelligence, so keep him busy. He might like to fish, too. Opportunities to swim will help. If he has medications, make sure his mom gives them to him on time. For some truly hyperactive children, coffee with milk in it will calm them down. It is a paradoxical reaction, but the concept is what underlies the use of ritalin and other forms of speed (central nervous system stimulants) to treat hyperactivity. If you already know what he likes, a few age appropriate games might be a useful thing to have along.

Make sure he has enough physical activity during the day to tire him out for sleep at night. Talk to the mother about your concerns, she will have some suggestions, if she thinks about it. All of you want all involved to have a good time.

Philosophically, I believe in rewarding good behavior, and with that in mind, perhaps both he and his brother can earn a turn at the helm under your guidance, a very special treat, that requires some effort to earn. Same thing for access to computer games.

Ann
I agree with all of this! My 10 yr old son (he's going on 30) has ADHD with a healthy dose of anxiety. Makes life interesting! He's ridiculously intelligent - too smart for his own good.

To combat this, your grandson will need a job - something to focus on. Have him be your eyes for one of your systems. Even create a false job for him, something that keeps him included but not to the extent that would cause an issue should he bounce away to check something else out.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:33   #11

Boat: Custom sailing catamaran

Have lots of toys on board.
Kayak. With life jacket and long rope, for example.
KJThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:56   #12

Boat: Boatless

Ann has best reply so far.

I'll add give him something to take apart. Old outboard motor, old electronics, old pump, old anything.

Being the man in his life for those few days going to pay big rewards down the track. For you however it's going to be BUSY.

Run em hard ;-) Good luck.

I'm not the best expert, we raised girls onboard. Dump 100 "little people" on the floor and they would spend all day "organizing"

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:19   #13

Boat: Pearson

life vests and clipped to life line from cockpit around mast and back to cockpit. establish your self as alpha 1, maybe your name is captain and so addressed so. use the words no and wrong, been in your sneakers, good luck.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:20   #14

Boat: 2017 Beneteau 38.1

When my granddaughter was that age, we bought a harness, I think at West Marine, put her in it and still watched her like a hawk! www.rickdamico.com
rickdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:30   #15

Boat: Valiant 40

My mother was an absolute wizard at finding ways to keep us occupied during long passages when I was a kid. I recall one of the favored was to hand us a stack of paper plates, some string, and tape and challenge us to make a boat that would last longest towed behind us. We had a healthy supply of books, puzzles, fishing gear, etc, but we I always found the "discovery" activities to be the ones that would engross us for the longest periods.

If you do give him a job, go light with it and be flexible. Six year olds are not known for their ability to stay on task and the last thing you want is him to sour on sailing because it seems like work instead of play.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, sail, sailing