Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2017, 09:18   #46
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Positive advice for dealing with hyper grandson when sailing on catamaran

my brother donny and i were inquisitive and creative kids at 7 (me ) and 6(him) when taken sailing. as a result of our overinquisitiveness, we were taught to sail. we LOVED it.
we learned self control--when we screwed up we paid for it-by helping fix it--we had to haul uncle up the mast to fix a befoulment of the first mast hoop with the throat of the gaff--oops because we raced to get our own halyard belayed first-- you do NOT do that. we told dad not to help as we did the bad thing and needed to fix it so we could continue sailing with our uncle phil. we were horrid kids, but we focused on sailing with uncle phil--it was magic.
the secret with these overstimulated over creative kids is not limitation but encouragement. they love boat and sailing--give em responsibilities and watch em focus like you cannot . is magic.
my responsibility was with raising main--one halyard, donny the other., with sailing--i had port jib, he was given stbd. we constantly trimmed making sure no luff no issues. the off wind sheet got to rest and nag the other. we also rotated thru bailing leaky old dinghy.
each had assigned tasks. that worked quite well, and we learned responsibility and task orientation. and damn we focused.
try it. this is from a still creative, key losing , fone cant find, active brain with focusing issues and hella ability to focus multitask when enjoying the activity.
no, i will NOT grow up
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 13:04   #47

Boat: Chamberlin 12.4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
my brother donny and i were inquisitive and creative kids at 7 (me ) and 6(him) when taken sailing. as a result of our overinquisitiveness, we were taught to sail. we LOVED it.
we learned self control--when we screwed up we paid for it-by helping fix it--we had to haul uncle up the mast to fix a befoulment of the first mast hoop with the throat of the gaff--oops because we raced to get our own halyard belayed first-- you do NOT do that. we told dad not to help as we did the bad thing and needed to fix it so we could continue sailing with our uncle phil. we were horrid kids, but we focused on sailing with uncle phil--it was magic.
the secret with these overstimulated over creative kids is not limitation but encouragement. they love boat and sailing--give em responsibilities and watch em focus like you cannot . is magic.
my responsibility was with raising main--one halyard, donny the other., with sailing--i had port jib, he was given stbd. we constantly trimmed making sure no luff no issues. the off wind sheet got to rest and nag the other. we also rotated thru bailing leaky old dinghy.
each had assigned tasks. that worked quite well, and we learned responsibility and task orientation. and damn we focused.
try it. this is from a still creative, key losing , fone cant find, active brain with focusing issues and hella ability to focus multitask when enjoying the activity.
no, i will NOT grow up
Couldn't agree more.
And me either!
seaskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 13:08   #48

Boat: Schionning GForce 17c

Quote:
no, i will NOT grow up
Awesome what a great story. Hoping this will be the focus these guys need. Thanks for sharing!
WildFireAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 17:36   #49

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
no, i will NOT grow up
ADD comes with its struggles but also comes with some superpowers. One of those is the ability hyperfocus when the task requires it. Its part of the natural continuum of human behavior.
PS
I second the Legos.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:18   #50

Boat: Schionning GForce 17c

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
ADD comes with its struggles but also comes with some superpowers. One of those is the ability hyperfocus when the task requires it. Its part of the natural continuum of human behavior.
PS
I second the Legos.
Yes Lego is definitely the flavor. They love it!
WildFireAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:29   #51

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney21 View Post
I suggest you cut down the sugar intake, ................
That was to be my suggestion as well. The kid has a problem. Solving the problem is a better plan than trying to deal with it

Tags
catamaran, sail, sailing