Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-02-2016, 01:34   #16

Re: Planning to cruise starting 2016

Hello,

Good luck Cristi191, no more -50 wind chill or Cessna sized mosquitos for you! I grew up in Wi.

We are planning to start cruising this year as well with our 12 year old daughter. We will cruise locally in the PNW till the spring of 2017. Our local school on Orcas Island has a at home program we will transition into for next year. I notice some people commenting were accredited teachers and others stated they had been to college. Neither my wife nor myself went to college, we both ended up in different occupations shortly out of high school. Would any of you recommend courses for parents prior to trying home schooling? Our take so far has been that it will be a learning experience for all three of us with alot of time to focus on a mix of real world and text book, and I won't have to figure out those common core math problems any more..

any advice appreciated

Old 23-02-2016, 20:38   #17

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingscotts View Post
Hello,

Good luck Cristi191, no more -50 wind chill or Cessna sized mosquitos for you! I grew up in Wi.

We are planning to start cruising this year as well with our 12 year old daughter. We will cruise locally in the PNW till the spring of 2017. Our local school on Orcas Island has a at home program we will transition into for next year. I notice some people commenting were accredited teachers and others stated they had been to college. Neither my wife nor myself went to college, we both ended up in different occupations shortly out of high school. Would any of you recommend courses for parents prior to trying home schooling? Our take so far has been that it will be a learning experience for all three of us with alot of time to focus on a mix of real world and text book, and I won't have to figure out those common core math problems any more..

any advice appreciated
Oiy, I don't know if a college course would help, I went to college, had a math minor and when it came time to help my daughter with her high school math I was buggered, they changed the curriculum to an integrated system and "new math", it made no sense to me or her, when I taught her traditional algebra, trig and calculus it made sense to her but what they were teaching made no sense to either of us. In the end neither of the colleges she attended accepted the math courses her high school taught so she had to take courses over to fulfill the requirement.
Talk to the school system your taking the curriculum from to see what they recommend, their have also been other threads on this sight pertaining to home schooling resources which have been very helpful, there are a number or resources available. Don't be cowed, if you've worked and raised a family you have much more knowledge than you may appreciate, working through courses with your kids may actually make you realize you have much more knowledge than you gave yourself credit for.
One online source that helped me remember and relearn some of what I lost after years of non-technical work was Kahnacademy, it's an excellent site with very intuitive instructional curses, made me realize that it wasn't me, that some of my college professors really were bozos who didn't know crap.
Mt daughter is 29 now and I'm raising two boys 5 and 7, we also plan to cruise with them starting in 2018 so we'll be doing the same.
If your smart enough to get to where you are you'll do fine. Just one step at a time. I've met some very intelligent tradesmen and some very dumb engineers and MBA's, and also some very smart engineers and MBA's, a degree does not always reflect the individuals level of intelligence.
Start with your current school system, let them know what your plans are, if their worth the tax dollars your paying them they'll be happy to point you in the right direction, if not, your paying them too much. Ours had been very helpful so far, of course, now that I think of it, maybe their just happy to see my boys go, hmmmm, I'll have to think about that.

Old 24-02-2016, 14:29   #18

Boat: Beneteau 445

Hi Christi, we are also planning on moving to our boat this fall and start heading south (Chesapeake Bay now) with two kids, our son is 9 and our daughter 7. Our plan so far is to go to Fl, Bahamas, Cuba, Mexico and Central America. Where are you guys planning to go?

Tags
cruise

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: