Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2013, 13:26   #1

Boat: Kelsall Kelly 42
Pets Overboard?

My husband and I will start our cruising life soon with our 2 chiweeni's Lexi and Gracie. They are like our kids and I'm scared to death they are going to go overboard. So nervous I follow them around everywhere and am having a hard time relaxing and enjoying myself. Any advice for this new sailor?
nauti kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 13:52   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauti kat View Post
My husband and I will start our cruising life soon with our 2 chiweeni's Lexi and Gracie. They are like our kids and I'm scared to death they are going to go overboard. So nervous I follow them around everywhere and am having a hard time relaxing and enjoying myself. Any advice for this new sailor?
Have your dogs ever been on water before?

Usually at marinas, mooring and anchor its not really a problem. Dogs like falling just as much as we do. Can always span net around the boat if you want. While underway PFDs for your dogs sizes and tethers are always the best idea. Or leave them inside.

Also, practice "dog overboard" drills. A lot. Just as often as "man overboard" drills. With two people on a sailboat, the last thing you need if a dog decides to take a bath is one person panicking and jumping in leaving a large vessel to one person who is now also panicked.

Many people use and trail ramps that semi float attached to the stern. Something to give a dog to grab onto if needed.
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 13:54   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Pets overboard?

Had to google that to find out what they are.

Comfortable harness and leash should be OK I think.
And, if you have big scuppers on the boat, put a grating over them
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 14:01   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

we put netting around the boat , and the schnauzer wears a lifejacket in the dinghy.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 15:33   #5

Boat: PT-11

Lifeline netting.
pfd and if they leave the cockpit, a tether. When we had a mono, I would put Lucy below when I was alone and it was rough. But she wanted to be on deck with me so badly, somehow she learned to launch herself up companionway stairs.
DOB drills - they should at least know where to swim to. We have sugar scoop transoms, so Lucy goes there.
Then for offshore, there is a whole new ballgame. We are considering AIS SART devices for our pooch, but the self-automated ones are pretty dear. Would not put an EPIRB on her.
Also, have to prep for seasickness. Just like people, much fluids before, bland food - we give her lots of rice.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 16:33   #6

Boat: Seaward 22

tether. I've lost cockpit cushions over the side and in 5 min they can be impossible to find. If you dog goes over and you don't see him immediately then it will be hard to locate him. tether and give yourself piece of mind.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 16:44   #7

Weather cloths or netting. Train them (if you can) to stay in the cockpit. I had my dogs aboard in Fl and in their excitement to follow me on the dock they all ended up in the water one time or another. For small dogs I highly recommend a big salmon fish net.... relatively easy way to retrieve a dog fast when out on the water. I love the life jackets with the handle to....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 17:06   #8

Boat: Kelsall Kelly 42' Catamaran
Well as the other parent to the puppies in question we are taking their safety very serious. We own a 42' catamaran and we have netting all the way around. They will have life jackets and tethers or safety lines when on deck just like we will. On land we had a pool and the only way to get them in was carry them. I tough them where they had to swim to get out and we will do the same on the boat. As far as drills I have that covered I am a captain on a 225' supply boat and old charter boat captain and used to doing this all the time. However, boy was I hoping to leave work at work when I retire this fall. I am going to have to draw the line on hard hats, steel toed boots and gloves. But all things aside the safety of my family and vessel come first or we don't leave the dock. Oh and just for mom's info they have more sea time on Nauti Kat then she does. 😉And we are looking forward to many years aboard together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2954623340.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	61139   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2893723039.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	61140  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2279183586.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	61141   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1390000080.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	61142  

rjdives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 17:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdives View Post
Well as the other parent to the puppies in question we are taking their safety very serious. We own a 42' catamaran and we have netting all the way around. They will have life jackets and tethers or safety lines when on deck just like we will. On land we had a pool and the only way to get them in was carry them. I tough them where they had to swim to get out and we will do the same on the boat. As far as drills I have that covered I am a captain on a 225' supply boat and old charter boat captain and used to doing this all the time. However, boy was I hoping to leave work at work when I retire this fall. I am going to have to draw the line on hard hats, steel toed boots and gloves. But all things aside the safety of my family and vessel come first or we don't leave the dock. Oh and just for mom's info they have more sea time on Nauti Kat then she does. dde09And we are looking forward to many years aboard together.
They look perfectly happy! Sounds like you've got all the ducks in a row

Safe sailing!
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 17:13   #10

Boat: PT-11

In that last pic it looks like the little one found a soft spot in your defenses. How do you like that hydrobubble?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 17:39   #11

Boat: Kelsall Kelly 42' Catamaran
SVNeko, they learned early that they could get their heads through the small openings at the cleats. If you are asking about our Kelsall cat we love it. It was a charter version with 4 berths and 3 heads but was never chartered. We gutted most of it and did everything the way we wanted it. She's not fast like our 42' Norman Cross trimaran was but she has a lot more room.
rjdives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 18:39   #12

Boat: Kelsall Kelly 42
Captain Daddy, I'm still not convinced, relaxed or comfortable ! Appreciate the ideas everyone, keep them coming. Thanks
nauti kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 18:46   #13
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauti kat View Post

Take your time getting them used to the boat. When you first go out, don't sail for your own enjoyment. Let them get used to the motion, the sounds, the heeling ...

They make very good life preservers for dogs, and I helped pull a very confused (and blind) small boat out of the water once because he had a harness on and we got him with a boat hook.

Get them used to salt water, including salt water with waves. Make a game of it, don't make them stay in long, give them treats and make bathing them afterwards a game too.

If you're going to use a dinghy, get them used to that, too.

Put netting up all around your boat. you can even make "gated netting for gates in your life lines by using pvc pipe as a frame. I just use nylon zip ties to hinge it. When the gate is open I swing it to the side and zip-tie it in place. My gate is very wide -- almost 8' -- so I put a pvc t-joint and an extra support in the middle. then when your'e out on the water, everything except the very end of the bow, and possibly your stern, won't be netted.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 18:48   #14
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Weather cloths or netting. Train them (if you can) to stay in the cockpit. I had my dogs aboard in Fl and in their excitement to follow me on the dock they all ended up in the water one time or another. For small dogs I highly recommend a big salmon fish net.... relatively easy way to retrieve a dog fast when out on the water. I love the life jackets with the handle to....

In fact I keep my cat in the cockpit, in her carrier, and she loves it, esp. compared to being below and having to smell diesel fumes. It serves some good safety purpose too -- one time a huge power boat waked me. I was able to grab her carrier and keep her safe while things got thrown around below.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 19:18   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my cat lives on board. he wears a harness and uses a leash properly. there is no problem with tethering critters for their safety.
there is a good brand of pfd fro critters called critters inflatables. supports the critter where support is needed, not on the critters back, which is not a good way to keep critter heads above water.
critters inflatables are sensible.
my maine coon remains below voluntarily while we are under way. when at anchor, he is free to roam this boat he loves and guards well.

if you have a harness and lead for each critter, they will be fine. make sure they dont get sea sick before longer passages.

usually pets will adapt to what ever torture we place upon them as long as they are with their humans and are comfortable in their home, which is where their humans are.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pets, overboard