Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2009, 12:59   #1

Pets On Board ?

We are travelling through the Caribbean with our two small dogs, any practical experience from those with animals on board in reference to clearing in customs and taking dogs on shore would be much appreciated.

With Thanks,
Lisa Meuche
S/V Starstream
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 13:04   #2

Anyone with practical experience with animals on board in the Caribbean, please contact me directly at LisaMeuche@gmail.com

Thank you,
Lisa Meuche
S/V Starstream
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 14:03   #3

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
We have carried our Maltese for 5 years through the Caibbean. You should get a rabies titer and have a implant ID put in. When checking in, some islands will ask some don't. Don't volunteer if they don't ask. If they do, don't lie. We always say that our dog does not leave the boat and have had no problem including English islands which tend to be most strict. French islands seem most friendly to dogs. Some get health certificates; unfortunately, they must be less than 10 days old at entry. We got one our first year but havn't bothered since.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 15:05   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Lisa.

Here's another thread on the topic that has some good info: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ean-17838.html

Some islands are "cruiser pet-friendly", some are not. It depends on whether rabies is present on the island. The islands that are rabies-free are very insistent on keeping it that way.

As speciald suggested, always tell the truth if asked. Many of the islands have a spot on the inbound clearance form asking about animals on board. Ask if you can bring the dogs ashore. If you're told "no", then write in that space that the dogs will be kept on board at all times. We cruised up and down the island chain with a cat, and never had any problems clearing in anywhere by stating that she would be kept on board at all times.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:52   #5

Boat: 43 Fountain Pajot Belize
For anyone who's interested, we recently had a 7 day crossing to Isla Mujeres, Mexico with our 15 year old dog. We arrived on Sunday and did not get checked in until Tuesday, Monday was a holiday. We hired an agent from the Marina Paraiso to check us in. He made all the copies of our papers and phone calls to the appropriate agencies.

Prior to departing TX I took our dog to the local vet and she gave me a state certificate of health. Unfortunately she forgot to put that he was free of internal and external parasites. They required that I see the local vet in Mexico. He came aboard, never looked at the dog, who was sleeping on the bow, and asked if he took heartworm and when the last time I used "frontline" was. He went back to his office and typed up 2 letters of clearance for me, one in Spanish and one in English. We were charged 200 pesos. I noticed after I received the letters that he didn't state that the dog was free of parasites either! Apparently it was just a way for them to get another local paid. Long of the short is, make sure you have up to date Rabies, and a state health certificate that includes the statement that your pet is free of parasites as well any infectious diseases. There was no additional cost to check in the dog. I'll update again when we check into Belize.
MeckDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 18:04   #6

Boat: Lexcen 40
Make sure you keep a dog passport and keep the jabs upto date whilst travelling
Old 08-09-2010, 12:25   #7

pets on board

what is a dog passport .They have passports?
Do they need one if coming from the states to Canada?
Linda from Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:55   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i go to vet prior to my departures with bubba and they give me a veterinarians certificate of health and include his history and everything he will need in transiting from country to country, you might want to search thru NOONSITE.COM for more info. is an excellent source. you will have to look up each and every nation/island you will visit as they all have somewhat different requireents and stipulations.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 13:45   #9

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Pet passport pet immigration international vet certificates forms EU 998 forms Pet Travel Store.

Pet passport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-09-2010, 17:04   #10

astrid--wikipedia is put together of things not necessarily researched. noonsite is a site for captains and cruisers, specifically for this sort of question. i would trust noonsite over wiki for that reason.
Old 08-09-2010, 17:37   #11

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda from Ohio View Post
what is a dog passport .They have passports?
Do they need one if coming from the states to Canada?
States to Canada (and the other way) you only need a rabies cert. or copy of. Pet passport is suposed to facilitate traveling with your pet to some other countries, especially when you aren't sure where you are going. Some countries require specific "travel papers" writen up by a vet for the occassion, like traveling with most livestock between states even. Some don't allow pets to come ashore.
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 18:50   #12

pets on board

thanks for the information Someday I may need it
Linda from Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 20:54   #13

my vet nor her advisor(legal) knew anything about pet passports--they give copies of the health cert and checkups records to take with --and some advantage multi and some prescriptions for what may be needed for pet--mine stays on the boat 24/7/365 unless i am taking him somewhere, wh8ich 8is vwry rare--vet appointments and sailing trips is all.

NOONSITE has the best info i have found--reliable and current.
Old 18-09-2010, 09:47   #14

Location: aboard our boat and summer in beautiful Kye Bay Comox BC Canada
Boat: 78 Cooper Ketch 40 feet
Send a message via Skype™ to luepetri
We have travelled with two cats last season and had now problems as we had all the required papers and shots.
Our concern this season is we are travelling further south from Baja Mexico towards Costa Rica and eventually through the canal Panama.
Concern: we now have one male, 5 years old who loves to go ashore at harbours. Somehow comes back every night. Has adapted to the vessell when at anchor. Our concern is safety as we travel to more tropical areas where local dogs and alligators seem to frequent the docks.

has anyone any advise???? HUD3????

Thanks. Lue
luepetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 11:51   #15

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Well, all things considered, best to cancel shore leave for the 5yo. You might have to see if he can adapt to a tether when up on deck to keep him from going AWOL when at anchor.

Tags
pets