Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 13:59   #1

Pet Regulations in the Caribbean

Does anyone have current info regarding cruising with U.S. dogs from Grenada north through Grenadines, st vincent st lucia etc to BVI Puerto rico, Dominican Rep., Cuba, JAmaica, Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama? Is it just a matter of micro chipping, rabies certificates and health certificates or does anyone know of additional complications?
sbauhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 15:08   #2

Re: Pets in the Caribbean regulations?

yes, the BVI are a nightmare. You need a titer test, worm meds, Lyme disease shots, which is a series of two shots three weeks apart and then you are still praying for sheetrock, as the saying goes. St. Vincent and St. Lucia are also very tough, they don't have rabies and don't want it. In the 90s a dog was shot in St. Vincent after it came ashore without an import permit. Noonsite has most of the regs but its links for the BVI are broken. If you can't get the BVI package, send me a pm and I'll send a copy along.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 17:55   #3

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
We were in SVG a few months ago, I filled in the form about animals, said we had a dog, offered to show the dogs certificates but the officials couldn't care less.

In the bvi, we lacked the titer test, so the government vet took a blood sample and sent it to the US for us at our cost. Cool guy, no problem, dog was allowed ashore in the meantime while we waited a month for the results to come back.

In the DR, the officials encouraged us to take the dog ashore. Paperwork and certificates were not required. "poor dog needs to run, man!"

Martinique encourages dogs everywhere. No paperwork required but I offered and we have them, even have the titer test results now!

What has been others experience in Cuba??? That is our next destination and I cannot find any firsthand info. How about Jamaica?

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:40   #4

Boat: 1993 Gemini Catamaran 3400
Re: Pet Regulations in the Caribbean

We are in the Bahamas en route to Panama through Cuba and Jamaica. What did you find the pet regulations to be when you visited? Thanks!
SoManyBeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:21   #5

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: Pet Regulations in the Caribbean

When we were in Cuba they called the "Agricultural Officer" who called a Vet. The vet came, looked at Jack, saw his documents, and then we paid $5.00 for a landing permit. We had 12 officials on board to clear in. All were wonderful, friendly courteous. I was arrested in Cayman after they insisted that we come alongside for boarding. Jack took a jump ashore, to go pee. We got him right back on board. My charge was Illegal importation of animal. Dont go to Cayman with any kind of animal.
Bequia, they threatened to shoot him. We left 15 minutes later.
Tobago cays, he loved Baradal.
We avoided Jamaica because of Jack. He is no longer with us, so Jamaica is back on the list.
Lots of doggy pics on our web page, click the "more" button then "woof"

Tags
Caribbean, regulations, caribbean