Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2014, 10:22   #16

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Our recent test trip with our dog.... (the dog loves the boat!)

To keep from having to take our dog to shore several times a day I took a hot water heater pan & cut some sod to fit it. It worked great & the sod actually lasted quite a long time.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:36   #17

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum314 View Post
This may be an idiotic question, but I need to ask anyway. Please don't flame me. How do you keep the pooch on the boat when you're in the slip and have to do something where you can't bring him along? Install an invisible fence type system around the deck (would hate locking him up below decks)?

Lifeline netting has successfully contained the beef.......mini schnauzer.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
When you do get a vest or harness make sure you get one with an easy to grab handle on the TOP, preferably between the shoulders. That way when the dog goes overboard you have a secure lifting point and are not trying to lift by the collar. It is just a matter of time before it happens, usually involves the dinghy and a dock. Have fun!
they are great.

I would put the dogs in the cabin when leaving them alone. People steal dogs.... and their are other risks...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:32   #19

Boat: Crealock 37

We put lifeline netting (buy cheap soccer net from sports store) for our pooch, but now feel exposed when we sail on a boat without it. More to grab onto if you go flying and it also catches the sails when I drop them. We feel good letting the dog go forward without us in most seas. In calm weather we let him sit on a dropped sail and watch the Dolphins bow ride. He loves that. Attachment 92765

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
timor-bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 16:18   #20

Dog Life Vests | EzyDog Dog Life Jackets

This vest works great for out 70# dog. Love the top handle for picking her up.
Ridgeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 18:44   #21
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We have netting, which I made on the lifelines. The dogs go on the foredeck, we throw it over, then bucket down. In heavy weather we move the sun shade clothes onto the lifelines (like leecloths) so the dogs can't see out, as they don't like going forward when it's stormy, but if they can't see out ot doesn't bother them!

teak decks stop the slipping and sliding... you can see the dogs hop from teak area to teak area, especially when it's rough!

They hate their life jackets, and given the choice between wearing it or staying below in **** weather, they'll choose to stay below.

As for leaving the boat, they are fine inside with the small hatches open. It's not forever, and it's no less space than our land dogs had in their kennel when we were out. More, in fact. Plus they love to get on the berths when we're gone (and they think we don't know - ha).
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:25   #22

Boat: Lagoon 40

We cruised for 7 months with our dog "Salty" around Florida and the Bahamas. We had a wonderful time - Salty had a blast and certainly enhanced our trip. He was a pleasure to have along. We had many questions about "where does he go potty"...we had some artificial grass which we put out on deck on long passages - but on all but one occasion, he chose to wait until we went ashore.

For the Bahamas, we did get a pet permit (allow 3 weeks) and certificate of good health before leaving Florida (its supposed to be within 24 hours of arrival, but that may just not be practical).

One other thing to keep in mind with pets on board - there is a lot more hair on the boat which despite best cleaning efforts, inevitably finds its way into the bilge somehow. Make sure pumps do not get clogged - a friend of ours nearly had a bad experience with that!

Neil
S/V Midnight Sun II
S/V Midnight Sun II
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:41   #23

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

And you can sleep well knowing that if anyone approaches there will be barking
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:55   #24

Boat: 1983 Hunter 27'

We're going to be sailing with our dog soon and it's great to hear these generally positive stories of salty dogs!
umphrey1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:44   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, umphrey.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:28   #26

I strongly recommend getting a life jacket & keeping it on your dog whenever you're out on the boat including anchored at night if he can get up on deck or into the cockpit without you knowing. It's not just the flotation that's important. Dogs in the water can be hard to spot. Yellow or orange life jackets with reflective tape make a dog much easier to find.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:18   #27

Boat: Skookum 53'

Smoke the wonderdawg, hasn't been to sea yet, I take him down to the boat when I am working on her. I have a 10' lead that I put around the mast to keep him from wandering away while I am down below decks working. He entertains himself by barking at the seagulls, passing people etc... he goes about 60 lbs. He will be with us when we head offshore in the spring. Would not get rid of him for love or money.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:31   #28

Getting a 60lb dog from the boat to the dinghy & back can really be a challenge. A swim platform is a huge help. There a couple of companies that make stairs for dogs although I'm not sure how well they work. The Paws Aboard Boat Ladder is one & here's another one: Dog Ladders by WaterDog Adventure Gear
Old 04-12-2014, 16:00   #29

Great Dog! You didn't really elaborate on the details of toilet-ing your dog while on board though. I really can't leave home without my Rotweiller, but how she will adapt to living aboard is a BIG question mark. I have a friend with a 50' commercial fishing boat. He took his female Roti out with him last summer, one night while anchoured out in a bit of a blow,(these guys often anchour way off-shore while fishing tuna) his dog chewed through the double-braid anchour line and set them adrift! He lost nearly all the rope, 10 fathom of 1/2" chain, 5 fathoms of 5/8" chain, and his best anchour, not a happy camper!
shipleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 16:43   #30

I started tying a small line from my anchor to a little buoy. It is mainly to keep people from anchoring right on top of my anchor but if your line gets cut this will also make it possible to find it.